New dynorun with 3" pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006 | 12:32 AM
Loss goes up with horsepower due to heat

Old 10-11-2006 | 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by mcdover
I went back to the dyno today for a new tune since installing a 3" pulley, LT headers, efans, and dual exhaust. Well, we hit a wall with the stock injectors. I only got 404 rwhp, which is just about a 40 hp increase, before the A/F started running lean. On the bright side, I picked up another 72 lbs of tq. So, now I'm buying the boost-a-pump and some new injectors. Somebody got a recommendation on the injector size and where to buy?

Here's the numbers:
404/467

Last tune without exhaust, efans and pulley:
365/395
Depending on how much further you want to go, I'd probably go with the blue cobra 39lbs injectors. I think you have to buy them from Whipple though as the injectors will not fit the manifold without being machined. I guess that is one way of keeping repeat customers huh?

TG

Old 10-11-2006 | 12:49 PM
Not to brag but I predicted 400rwhp and everyone said I was way low, Hmmm. I know the numbers will go up once the fuel situation is rectified.

Old 10-11-2006 | 01:53 PM
I went back to the dyno today for a new tune since installing a 3" pulley, LT headers, efans, and dual exhaust. Well, we hit a wall with the stock injectors. I only got 404 rwhp, which is just about a 40 hp increase, before the A/F started running lean. On the bright side, I picked up another 72 lbs of tq. So, now I'm buying the boost-a-pump and some new injectors. Somebody got a recommendation on the injector size and where to buy?

Here's the numbers:
404/467

Last tune without exhaust, efans and pulley:
365/395
How much boost are you running with the 3" pulley.
Is this a Roush Supercharger?

Old 10-11-2006 | 08:52 PM
|
Originally Posted by LowFast
Not to brag but I predicted 400rwhp and everyone said I was way low, Hmmm. I know the numbers will go up once the fuel situation is rectified.
Care to take a prediction with the added 39# injectors and the boost-a-pump? How does the old saying go about the blind squirrel and the nut? Just kidding, really how much you think I make with the upgrades?

Old 10-11-2006 | 08:53 PM
|
Originally Posted by ricardo_6
How much boost are you running with the 3" pulley.
Is this a Roush Supercharger?
9.5 lbs with a whipple.

Old 10-11-2006 | 08:57 PM
|
Originally Posted by That Guy
Depending on how much further you want to go, I'd probably go with the blue cobra 39lbs injectors. I think you have to buy them from Whipple though as the injectors will not fit the manifold without being machined. I guess that is one way of keeping repeat customers huh?

TG
I called whipple today to see what they recommended. Mike had to do some research and call me back. About 2.5 hours later, he called and said they recommended the 39# ones, which are not listed on their site. Any reason why these are better than any others?

Old 10-11-2006 | 09:10 PM
Just giving you a hard time since everyone blasted me when I made the 'low' prediction.

I think with the new injectors and properly tuned you will make your original goal of around 420-430rwhp if the fuel was holding you from a full pull on the dyno. Just make sure the tune is safe and conservative, you would rather be short a few hp than have a vented block. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2006 | 09:21 PM
I AM powerless against my addiction!
Because of you .................I just relapsed

Old 10-11-2006 | 09:25 PM
|
Originally Posted by LowFast
Just giving you a hard time since everyone blasted me when I made the 'low' prediction.

I think with the new injectors and properly tuned you will make your original goal of around 420-430rwhp if the fuel was holding you from a full pull on the dyno. Just make sure the tune is safe and conservative, you would rather be short a few hp than have a vented block. Good luck.

I am impressed! The guy who owns the dynotune made the very same prediction! Both, my tuner and him said the 3v 5.4 could be conservatively tuned to hold 450hp and would not recommend going over that without building the bottom end. BTW, when I got to the shop they were both ragging on the Bank S/C set-up that was on Trucks. Should've seen their faces when I told them that kit was $7K.

Old 10-11-2006 | 10:57 PM
Whipple went with the 39lb injectors when they tuned in my truck and it worked with no problems. They also used them on the Ford Racing guys truck and as far as I know, he has had no problems. They machine them down at their shop and sell them by the set, which could be another reason they suggest them (makin' money). You could try the 42 or 43 lb injectors, but I haven't heard any feedback if they fit properly or not. We all know the Whipple 39lb injectors work, so that takes the guess work out of it.

I don't know if they are any better or worse than a different brand of injector though.

I think your numbers are nearly identical to Rafa's after he dyno tested with a 3" pully, headers, fans, etc. I am pretty sure he already had the 39lb injectors installed already. Did you get a larger MAF housing?

Old 10-12-2006 | 08:47 AM
|
Originally Posted by 05RoushMarkLT
Whipple went with the 39lb injectors when they tuned in my truck and it worked with no problems. They also used them on the Ford Racing guys truck and as far as I know, he has had no problems. They machine them down at their shop and sell them by the set, which could be another reason they suggest them (makin' money). You could try the 42 or 43 lb injectors, but I haven't heard any feedback if they fit properly or not. We all know the Whipple 39lb injectors work, so that takes the guess work out of it.

I don't know if they are any better or worse than a different brand of injector though.

I think your numbers are nearly identical to Rafa's after he dyno tested with a 3" pully, headers, fans, etc. I am pretty sure he already had the 39lb injectors installed already. Did you get a larger MAF housing?
$900 for the injectors and the MAF housing! I just went with the injectors and bought a pump boost from kenne bell.

Old 10-12-2006 | 01:17 PM
My MAF housing, plugs, injectors and smaller pully was $400, and the labor to install was $100/hr at 3 hours. Where did you get $900 for the housing and injectors?

Old 10-12-2006 | 02:10 PM
|
Originally Posted by 05RoushMarkLT
My MAF housing, plugs, injectors and smaller pully was $400, and the labor to install was $100/hr at 3 hours. Where did you get $900 for the housing and injectors?
Straight from Whipple. I about fell out of my chair! I believe the injectors were $350+ and the pulley was $140 with shipping. You must have got yours on sale.

Old 10-12-2006 | 03:48 PM
Good gawd, talk about inflation!

I think Whipple gave me a deal because they were trying to develop the upgrade kit. At the time I don't think they had prices in mind yet. Hopefully in the near future they will release a 10psi upgrade package for their blowers and offer it at a set price. It could also be a cause of the demand being much higher than their supply.

I hope those injectors help boost up your tune.

Quick Reply: New dynorun with 3" pulley