Magnacharger tuning....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006 | 02:00 AM
|
Question Magnacharger tuning....

Will here I am an 05 f150 with a Magnacharger blower, A Powerworks tune in my ECU and it detonates with 91 oct fuel. Tried a few brands of fuel and so far Unical 76 was the best. By the way, 91 is the norm here on the west coast. Anyway, I used my X-cal to retard the timing and I can't hear any detonation but the power is a little lacking but I can live with that until I can get it to a dyno. So in efforts to see where I am with the tune I have installed a EGT gauge. I put the probe just below the first O2 sensor on the drivers side and took it on a hell run. Heres what I came up with, at the end of my test runs I'm seeing 1500 degrees EGT! I would say that maybe that number would be OK if the probe was in the exhaust manifold right at the port but it's about 9 inches from the port. And heres one more thing thats a little scary, I got under the truck and looked and the cats and they where glowing! So I'm not sure whats going on there but it can't be right. I know retarding the timing increases exhaust temp so I went back to the original Powerworks tune with the same results and it detonates, so back to the x-cal fix. I guess I question is, if you have a Positive displacement blower on your truck, what changes have you done to it if any? Did it work straight a way or did it need tuning? And can someone please check their cats after a boost run and tell me if they are glowing? Sorry for the long post....
Thanks,
td

Last edited by tomslick34; 12-18-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2006 | 06:02 AM
I have a similiar problem with my Roush Intercooled, I heard pinging/detonation when I get on it at full boost which is around 7 PSI on the gauge. Now I had high milage when I put my supercharger on 51000 miles so I did a carbon treatment with seafoam and now the ping/detonation is cut in half and along with warmer weather 72 degree weather now. I have a EGT gauge but not installed (trying to find the best location on my long tubes)yet, I will do a boost run later tonight and check to see if my cats are glowing. I am waiting for my TP tunes to help correct this issue, but in the mean time I am going to go by the local speed shop and see if I can pick up some 100 octane unleaded race gas to see if this will stop the ping/detonation. I was told by TP that Roush tunes are always rich so we are trying to figure out why I am running lean. Things he told me to look at were to make sure there are no exhaust leaks, no vaccum leaks, check for a lazy O2 sensor and to try to use 76 gas(which is not available in Central TX) and do a carbon treatment due to the high milage. Hope you can find what is causing the ping/detonation, good luck.

Old 12-18-2006 | 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by tomslick34
Will here I am an 05 f150 with a Magnacharger blower, A Powerworks tune in my ECU and it detonates with 91 oct fuel. Tried a few brands of fuel and so far Unical 76 was the best. By the way, 91 is the norm here on the west coast. Anyway, I used my X-cal to retard the timing and I can't hear any detonation but the power is a little lacking but I can live with that until I can get it to a dyno. So in efforts to see where I am with the tune I have installed a EGT gauge. I put the probe just below the first O2 sensor on the drivers side and took it on a hell run. Heres what I came up with, at the end of my test runs I'm seeing 1500 degrees EGT! I would say that maybe that number would be OK if the probe was in the exhaust manifold right at the port but it's about 9 inches from the port. And heres one more thing thats a little scary, I got under the truck and looked and the cats and they where glowing! So I'm not sure whats going on there but it can't be right. I know retarding the timing increases exhaust temp so I went back to the original Powerworks tune with the same results and it detonates, so back to the x-cal fix. I guess I question is, if you have a Positive displacement blower on your truck, what changes have you done to it if any? Did it work straight a way or did it need tuning? And can someone please check their cats after a boost run and tell me if they are glowing? Sorry for the long post....
Thanks,
td
Unfortunately your monster 35" tires aren't helping any. It may be that your trans scheduling will have to be re-done with your monster flywheels. 4.10 axles wouldn't hurt either.
Ford spec on the cat temps is 1650. The cat temp model has been fully calibrated to maintain these temps or below.
Here is a full load dyno run with the cats and exhaust intact. Just click on the link. Cat temps are not exceeding 1650 on this or any of the other runs.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2.../F150/TEST.jpg

Old 12-18-2006 | 12:07 PM
|
Wow...

Thanks Mark, thats some photo! Is it possible I'm seeing more Cat temp more then exhaust temp?
td

Last edited by tomslick34; 12-18-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2006 | 12:46 PM
Thanks Mat, thats some photo! Is it possible I'm seeing more Cat temp more then exhaust temp?
td
(mark)
Don't know for sure but considering the location you have your TC, it is post collector so it will be higher than port temp. Cat temps are measured in the brick 1" from the front face, so there is some exothermic reaction that takes place. Again the biggest help for you is going to be gears I'm thinking. With 35's on 3.55 axles your final drive is actually down to 3.14:1

Last edited by mab351; 12-18-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2007 | 10:18 PM
|
Smile Part two...

Well, I have learned a lot in the last few weeks. I went to a few places to try to get my truck on a Dyno, but most shops did not have the time to do it until after the holidays. So, because I wanted to use the truck for a trip over the holidays, I got the SCT software and started tuning my truck myself. What a difference! Now I can tune everything for my application, trans shifting, timing, everything! I had some help with the starting file and I made a bunch of adjustments to work if me. Now I have the kick *** truck I have hoped for! I towed my 7000-pound trailer over 700 miles without a problem. (No detonation, cat temps down) To top it all off I get better gas mileage now, then when it was not blown. I will say one thing, the software is not easy. I still do not understand many things about it, so for the layman I would not recommend it. However, if you can get someone to show you the way, it is very satisfying sorting it out yourself. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know how it all turned out.
Take care,
td

Last edited by tomslick34; 01-07-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2007 | 12:31 AM
Good to here you got it running like you want it to.
Just can't beat a custom tune!

Phil

Old 01-08-2007 | 02:55 AM
Glad you got it fixed. Did you have a chance to check your air/fuel after dialing in the tune?

I picked up a Diablo Tuner to be able to do the same thing since we don't have shops in Alaska to help us out. I got it mainly to change my gear ratio since I just dropped in 4.56's, but I can play around with it like you have. I'm not sure I want to though, I'll probably mess something up!

As for gears, if you switch them, I'd go at least 4.56 and possibly 4.88's with the bigger tires. Definately a mod well worth doing. Talk about waking up your supercharged truck!

Old 01-08-2007 | 01:42 PM
Well, I have learned a lot in the last few weeks. I went to a few places to try to get my truck on a Dyno, but most shops did not have the time to do it until after the holidays. So, because I wanted to use the truck for a trip over the holidays, I got the SCT software and started tuning my truck myself. What a difference! Now I can tune everything for my application, trans shifting, timing, everything! I had some help with the starting file and I made a bunch of adjustments to work if me. Now I have the kick *** truck I have hoped for! I towed my 7000-pound trailer over 700 miles without a problem. (No detonation, cat temps down) To top it all off I get better gas mileage now, then when it was not blown. I will say one thing, the software is not easy. I still do not understand many things about it, so for the layman I would not recommend it. However, if you can get someone to show you the way, it is very satisfying sorting it out yourself. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know how it all turned out.
Take care,
td
Glad to see it all finally worked out.

Old 01-08-2007 | 09:39 PM
|
Thanks for your help Mark! Gears are next, 4:10 or 4:56's not sure the way to go. Bigger then that seems a little extreme.
td

Quick Reply: Magnacharger tuning....