blower and tire spin

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006 | 09:21 AM
gp
|
blower and tire spin

we all know what superchargers do for power and which ones do it the best for their intended use.if you have so much low end torque that the truck cant hook till mid way through 2nd gear with a automatic is it doing you any good for low end use? so my question is would you buy a paxton style or kennybell style blower if you do most of your full throtle driving when you get it on at lower speeds.i have a lightning and full throtle below 35 mph just blows the tires away and i dont want this problem with my 5.4 04, f150i.just looking for 7 or 8 ilbs of boost and 400 to 425 horsepower.im leaning towards the paxton and for price differance, it seems to give the best bang for the buck.so what do you think,centrifical or screw style?

Old 12-29-2006 | 11:12 AM
adt
It sounds like you answered your own ?. If you want to be able to stab it and actually go somewhere, then get the Paxton. Twin screws will blow the tires every time. I have the Procharger P1-SC and I like it alot. Granted, I can roast my tires when I really want to but I have to torque load the tranny, not a good idea especially with 285s on 20s. And at $250.00 a pop, I really don't want to. I do enjoy stabbing it and feeling the power come on quickly and build all the way. I just went to the dyno yesterday and was pretty happy with the results, 317 rwhp and 403 rwtq. Peak torque was at 3200 rpms and the curve was very flat. It might even get a little better cause my A/F ratios where a little fat, about 10.2 @ 3800 rpms. Not bad but it could be a little leaner. E-fans and headers might get those #s higher yet. I highly recommend the Paxton or the Procharger. You'll be happy with either and you'll get the power you want.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7238

Old 12-29-2006 | 02:14 PM
I agree with Adt, except that I can roast mine from a standstill, no torque braking at all. Infact with the cooler weather I actually wish for alittle less low-end as any 2nd gear full throttle kickdowns will blow the tires loose. I am running the Procharger and seeing about 11psi of boost. My hot weather dynos were at 354rwhp/415rwtq, in the cold weather I expect this is significantly higher, trust me I can feel the difference. Sounds like a centrifigal is exactly what you are looking for.

Old 12-29-2006 | 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by adt
I just went to the dyno yesterday and was pretty happy with the results, 317 rwhp and 403 rwtq. Peak torque was at 3200 rpms and the curve was very flat. It might even get a little better cause my A/F ratios where a little fat, about 10.2 @ 3800 rpms. Not bad but it could be a little leaner. E-fans and headers might get those #s higher yet. I highly recommend the Paxton or the Procharger. You'll be happy with either and you'll get the power you want.
Nice numbers ADT. Glad to see you've got things sorted out.
A slightly fat tune is a safe bet.
How much boost did you see?
Was it a Mustang dyno?

Like you said, I think you have a little bit left on the table, you're making almost exactly what my 97 is making. But I've got e-fans and run 10.5psi, so it's tough to compare.

Old 12-30-2006 | 09:26 AM
gp - I installed a Paxton Novi 2000 in July and I am more than happy with performance. I am seeing 5 psi at 3,000 rpms and 3/4 throttle, so it does build good boost quicker than some might think.
Does Paxton make an intercooled kit for the 04+ 3v?

Old 12-30-2006 | 04:56 PM
If your looking for lower boost #'s I would go with a intercooled Roush s/c,
You dont have to worry about smoking your tires off. They run about 7.5 lbs.
If your looking for high h.p. , you cant beat a twin screw i/c whipple.Just my.

Old 12-30-2006 | 09:58 PM
Since you've already got a Lightning, it seems that a cent would give you a good bit of another type of power spread.

Not sure if you're gonna see 400rwhp at 8psi, but maybe at the crank.

The Paxton blowers are huge, they look like they can flow a good amount of air.

That being said, I've been more than happy with my Procharger.

Old 12-30-2006 | 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
Since you've already got a Lightning, it seems that a cent would give you a good bit of another type of power spread.

Not sure if you're gonna see 400rwhp at 8psi, but maybe at the crank.

The Paxton blowers are huge, they look like they can flow a good amount of air.

That being said, I've been more than happy with my Procharger.
Whats ups Man? Lets talk before the 8th going back to see Danny

dont want this problem with my 5.4 04, f150i.just looking for 7 or 8 ilbs of boost and 400 to 425 horsepower.im leaning towards the paxton and for price differance, it seems to give the best bang for the buck.so what do you think,centrifical or screw style?
Paxton for the 3v?

Old 12-31-2006 | 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by anaheim_drew
Whats ups Man? Lets talk before the 8th going back to see Danny
What day are you going?
I may be able to sneak out

Old 12-31-2006 | 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Roush06FX4
If your looking for lower boost #'s I would go with a intercooled Roush s/c,
You dont have to worry about smoking your tires off. They run about 7.5 lbs.
If your looking for high h.p. , you cant beat a twin screw i/c whipple.Just my.
I have a Roush IC and I smoke my tires at will even upto 30 mph roll. I need a softer compound tire to reduce the wheel spin. I run 14.66 @95mph with a 2.2 60' time a 2wd screw and this is starting in 2nd gear to reduce wheel spin. If I start in 1st I spin all the way through 2nd and get a 2.8 60' time and a 15.2 1/4. I like having the power just need to figure out some way to harness it to the street.

Old 12-31-2006 | 09:12 AM
I have a simple solution to the tire roasting issue. If some guy next to me wants to play, I just put it in 2nd gear. From a standstill I can then modulate the throttle to control wheelspin and by 50, I can be WOT, at that point I shift it to "D" and the PCM takes over for the 2-3 shift.

With my (fairly) sticky Hankook tires this yields about a 12.50, 1/4 mile ET on the street. With slicks on the track it's a full second or more faster.

Last edited by madferraristi; 12-31-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2006 | 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Huitt24
I have a Roush IC and I smoke my tires at will even upto 30 mph roll. I need a softer compound tire to reduce the wheel spin. I run 14.66 @95mph with a 2.2 60' time a 2wd screw and this is starting in 2nd gear to reduce wheel spin. If I start in 1st I spin all the way through 2nd and get a 2.8 60' time and a 15.2 1/4. I like having the power just need to figure out some way to harness it to the street.
You need to get some better tires.
Well I for one love the power to roast the tires off with my twin-screw blower.
I have a 6000 pound Screw and need all I can get to get it going.You just need to adjust your driving style for the street.
Now when I go to the track I put my Micky Thompson street ETs on and I can put it to the flore in first gear with NO tire spin.Last time at the track I pulled a 1.6 60' and a 12.1 1/4

Phil

Old 01-04-2007 | 06:15 PM
adt
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
Nice numbers ADT. Glad to see you've got things sorted out.
A slightly fat tune is a safe bet.
How much boost did you see?
Was it a Mustang dyno?

Like you said, I think you have a little bit left on the table, you're making almost exactly what my 97 is making. But I've got e-fans and run 10.5psi, so it's tough to compare.
Thanks Jordon, I'm also sure there's more in there somewhere. The DynoJet showed 10 lbs. boost at 5300 rpm. I have a 12# pulley on right now. I don't know if there's more that Sal can do as far as the tune considering it's all being done long distance through e-mail. Also knowing that the stock ATI intake isn't all that great, I might consider Mads intake in the future and possibly e-fans. As for now, I'm happy with the latest results.

Quick Reply: blower and tire spin