a couple of questions before my harley s/c swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007 | 08:36 AM
|
you already sent them to me! thanks. i did order the 180*. no progress made yesterday....tech was busy with other work. todays project should be removing the grill and trying to find a spot for the intercooler. not sure if my expedition has the same mounting setup as the f150...see pic

Old 01-25-2007 | 01:36 PM
|
todays update. the crank pulley bolts that come from mike will not work on the expedition block. we had to go to the hw store and get 3/8 instead of the metric ones that came with the pulley. no big deal...just for reference.

Old 01-25-2007 | 02:07 PM
|
anyone who has completed this swap on model year 2003 and newer expedition, please pm me....trying to figure out how to install the intercooler and bracket. my bumper is not the same as the f150's

Old 01-25-2007 | 03:01 PM
|
2 more issues. the pcm harnesses are different, and i have a returnless fuel system, whereas the L doesn't. any insight on this?

Old 01-25-2007 | 09:47 PM
oh crap those are bigger issues. I wish I was more knowledgable on this and could help. I know somebody did this and modified their fuel system to a return type on the ford truck enthusiasts site but I don't remember who it was...jarepackard maybe

Maybe some of these can help...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/35...dition-eb.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/21...ercharger.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/55...ing-model.html

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=16189

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=260511

Old 01-26-2007 | 08:04 AM
|
i sent that jared guy a pm. hopefully he responds soon!

Old 01-28-2007 | 09:28 AM
OK, some of these issues are coming back to me now. I had one customer who made the swap on an '03 (I think) and he re-used the original engine harness from the truck. I think he had to extend a couple of sensor leads but in the end it all connected up and worked. Any of the sensors or controls on the rail alongside the blower that do not have a plug in the OE harness are for the Boost Dump. These won't connect but it doesn't matter since your PCM doesn't know what to do with them anyway.

The returnless fuel system is another issue. Unfortunately he didn't share his resolution of that with me. However, anybody who has done an '04 or later F-150 will have the solution for you.

Sounds like you may have to make your own H/E Brackets but remember, anything unused is returnable (no restock charge) assuming of course it is still in new condition.

I'll help you all I can here but we may need some help from other board members. There weren't too many trucks like yours with the 2V engine but with all the 3V ancilliaries.

Old 01-28-2007 | 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by 03expyeb
todays update. the crank pulley bolts that come from mike will not work on the expedition block. we had to go to the hw store and get 3/8 instead of the metric ones that came with the pulley. no big deal...just for reference.
Wow, I don't think so. You're a parts guy, double check the p/n for your harmonic damper versus a 2002 part. If it's the same p/n then the bolts must be the same. This is an all metric engine, the damper bolt holes for the blower pulley should be M10x1.5.

Old 01-28-2007 | 08:11 PM
|
mike, thanks for the info. i got a response from someone who did the swap on an 04 2v, which is the same as mine. he said what you said about the harness. he also told me how to go about the fuel system.

as far as the bolts, i went up and watched him try to install them. they wouldn't work for some reason. no big deal, we have a hw store right next door. everything is all set with that.....

just reconsidering the 6lb pulley over the 4lb pulley. dont want any problems...i am taking a trip from MA to FL in 2 1/2 weeks, and am worried about anything happening along the way.

Old 01-29-2007 | 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by 03expyeb
mike, thanks for the info. i got a response from someone who did the swap on an 04 2v, which is the same as mine. he said what you said about the harness. he also told me how to go about the fuel system.

as far as the bolts, i went up and watched him try to install them. they wouldn't work for some reason. no big deal, we have a hw store right next door. everything is all set with that.....

just reconsidering the 6lb pulley over the 4lb pulley. dont want any problems...i am taking a trip from MA to FL in 2 1/2 weeks, and am worried about anything happening along the way.
I hate to say this but I'm putting my money on your blower pulley coming loose. A 3/8-16 bolt will thread into a short M10x1.5 hole (such as in the damper spoke) but it's not correct nor will it stay tight. I'm willing to bet that the threads in the mounting holes are full of paint, dirt or rust.

Please share the fuel system details with me so that I have them for the next guy.

Old 01-29-2007 | 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by madferraristi
Please share the fuel system details with me so that I have them for the next guy.
Yes please since I am the next guy

Old 01-29-2007 | 07:19 PM
|
Originally Posted by madferraristi
copied and pasted from a pm on a different site:

Actually you'll want to use a return style ruel rail on the motor itself and route the line back through undercarriage and connect it to the fuel tank where the return line currently comes in from the fuel filter. You will use a differenct fuel filter eliminating the style where it has two outlets on one side and one on the other to a design that has just one outlet on either side.

Old 01-30-2007 | 03:39 PM
|
couple more pics:

Old 01-31-2007 | 09:50 AM
|
today's update: will have to remove one idler pulley and use a smaller main belt to fit the s/c idler pulley bracket.

also, my truck uses yellow antifreeze. should i do the same for the cooler and reservoir, or stick to the green stuff?

Last edited by 03expyeb; 01-31-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-01-2007 | 01:41 PM
If your talking about the top idler pulley on the driver side of the block, not sure why it has to be removed? You should be able to use stock alternator belt (ie 6 rib). Also, I do not see the top alternator bracket? Keep it pulling, best money I have ever spent.

Quick Reply: a couple of questions before my harley s/c swap