Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007 | 11:31 PM
|
Whipple

Hey dudes, I have sat on the sidelines long enough and alot of you guys are really stand-up people. I need some help. I have a 2006 FX4 with a lack of juice. I have decided on joining the supercharged gang. Sadly, although I can find a superchager for, what I think, a reasonable cost. my problem sits with the install. I live in Tucson and have searched as far as Phoenix with no relief as to an installer/tuner(Vivid Racing is outrageous as the only crew in town)(Like buying popcorn at the theater expensive!!). I am willing to travel as it seems an almost neccessity for the proper job completion. Any direction you can steer me is truly appreciated. I have decide on a Whipple and want to upgrade the injectors/pump also. A custom tune is a must to make things sit right. I have a Dynatech Supermaxx w/Corsa catback. Ideas please. Thanks guys.

Old 05-08-2007 | 12:28 AM
Motiva Performance in Albuquerque installed my Whipple. The work was first-rate. They have a DynoJet, and will give you a superior tune to the generic Ford Racing tune that is supplied with the Whipple SC. You can at least check their pricing and compare.

I trust them completely, and we are ready to upgrade my injectors and SC pulley to get bigger #s. I expect ~425-435 RWHP and ~450 RWTQ from the new tune. I'll finally be able to take advantage of the bigger MAF.

Good folks, and know their business.

Motiva Performance, LLC
505-883-8388

Tell them Lee referred you.

Good luck,

Lee

Old 05-08-2007 | 12:40 PM
bout dang time you get on here. sorry the nets been down with me moving and all. just got done looking over the dynatechs, good choice! come on out to abq and you got a place to stay.

Motiva can do it,
so can SpeedLab
and got a few friends over at dyno edge that can tune it.

Old 05-11-2007 | 01:03 AM
|
Whipple

Originally Posted by RBFC
Motiva Performance in Albuquerque installed my Whipple. The work was first-rate. They have a DynoJet, and will give you a superior tune to the generic Ford Racing tune that is supplied with the Whipple SC. You can at least check their pricing and compare.

I trust them completely, and we are ready to upgrade my injectors and SC pulley to get bigger #s. I expect ~425-435 RWHP and ~450 RWTQ from the new tune. I'll finally be able to take advantage of the bigger MAF.

Good folks, and know their business.

Motiva Performance, LLC
505-883-8388

Tell them Lee referred you.

Good luck,

Lee
Thanks Lee, What came with your stock whipple? what size pulley are you going to install? Do you have to change fuel pump, regulator, plugs plus the injectors to reach those #s? These questions are probably best answered by Movita, I have not called them yet. As a custom tune goes, I would like one from the start as noone around here can help. Does it make sense to buy the tuner Whipple vs the pre-progammed? Thanks again, Eugene

Old 05-11-2007 | 01:06 AM
|
Whipple

Originally Posted by crash_lucky13
bout dang time you get on here. sorry the nets been down with me moving and all. just got done looking over the dynatechs, good choice! come on out to abq and you got a place to stay.

Motiva can do it,
so can SpeedLab
and got a few friends over at dyno edge that can tune it.

Hey Crash, You might get a visit sooner than later. I appreciate your help young man! Lol I wish I knew what you have forgotton, Eugene

Old 05-11-2007 | 09:33 AM
I'm not quite finished yet.

Monday we install a 2.875 upper pulley and the 39# Whipple-modified Cobra injectors. With a new tune, my numbers will be much better. We purposely detuned the current motor a bit because of the winter gas AND the fact that I wanted to complete the "Whipple upgrade" with pulley and injectors. I should see right around 10# of boost then, being at 5500+ feet of altitude.

I got the 95mm modified Cobra MAF with my original Whipple kit. It would have been a part of the upgrade anyway.

I would recommend that you get the kit that includes the Ford Racing reflash programmer. It will allow you to safely start your truck after the SC install, giving you a good baseline tune from which you can tweak things on the dyno. You can also drive the truck right away with the Ford tune, even though it won't reach its ultimate potential.

I'll try to help out if I can.

Good luck,

Lee

Old 05-11-2007 | 10:26 AM
Lee,

I read your last post where you said you detuned your motor because of winter gas. I live in Crested Butte Colorado at an elevation of about 9,000 and the temps in the winter time average about -20 at night and around 15 in the day time. Is that something I would have to do every winter? I'm looking to get a Whipple installed and tuned at the end of the month.

Thanks, Devon

Old 05-11-2007 | 10:57 AM
RBFC,
he has an attitude in there right now. i don't THINK edge can retard the timing enough with the whipple. what kind of program would you use? can the ford tuner be tweaked like a predator?

Old 05-11-2007 | 11:09 AM
We left about 4 degrees of timing out of the final tune. I'm going to be a bit more aggressive this time around. We originally had over 420 RWTQ and ended up with the #s in my sig by backing off.

The Ford programmer cannot be adjusted. It merely downloads its program into your truck's computer. We used the Predator (Diablo) to gain access for adjustments. The dyno tune gained ~ 10% above the generic Ford Racing SC tune that is provided with the Whipple. You must understand that they have to supply a VERY safe tune for legal reasons.

The danger of altitude is that you'll set the blower and A/F ratio for the altitude you're at, then go lower on a trip. The increased air pressure will both increase combustion chamber pressure (raising your boost since the ambient pressure is higher to start with) and lean out your A/F because more air pressure is available. You must simply remember this stuff if you drive to the coast or something similar.

Finally, for a daily driver, I'm not so sure I want to tune my truck to run on the ragged edge. I can't really afford to have my truck out of commission for a month or so for a rebuild because I wanted 10 more HP and blew it up. I'll go to what my tuner and I agree is a safe range, and leave it until I can schedule the built bottom end at my convenience.

Lee

Old 05-11-2007 | 11:31 AM
who tuned it? i hear nick over at dyno edge is killer with diablo.

Old 05-11-2007 | 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperEXC
Lee,

I read your last post where you said you detuned your motor because of winter gas. I live in Crested Butte Colorado at an elevation of about 9,000 and the temps in the winter time average about -20 at night and around 15 in the day time. Is that something I would have to do every winter? I'm looking to get a Whipple installed and tuned at the end of the month.

Thanks, Devon

I thought I should answer you more directly.

If you set you original tune correctly, you should be OK. Be sure to let your tuner know your altitude when you do the work. If you want more than the stock boost PSI from the Whipple (minus the loss due to altitude, for you at 9000ft. it'll be about 3 PSI less), you'll need to discuss it with Mike at Whipple and possibly get a smaller SC pulley to compensate and deliver the 8 PSI "normal" boost.

So, if you drive down to 5000 ft. for your tune, you'd come up with different A/F ratios when you go home (too rich). More (lower altitude) air = lean, less (higher altitude) air = rich is the way altitude affects this. If you stay with the stock pulleys, you'll get about 5 PSI of boost and be in a very safe zone for your motor as long as your A/F is set OK.

Congratulations on the Whipple! You'll be happy, that's for sure!

Lee

Old 05-11-2007 | 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by crash_lucky13
who tuned it? i hear nick over at dyno edge is killer with diablo.
Dave, one of the owners of Motiva Performance, tuned my truck. They've been very good to me.

They even installed my new driveshaft (two-piece) for free when they were finishing up my Whipple. Good thing, because the old one had to be solvent-soaked and impact wrenched to get it off. That was with only 18,000 miles on the truck!

Good guys.

I called Dyno Edge when shopping for my Whipple install. They said they don't really do the mechanical "install", but can do the tuning. Maybe they just didn't want to take on any work at the time, but if they wouldn't do it, there was little point in using two shops.

At any rate, I'm pleased with the quality of work and customer service I've received at Motiva.

Lee

Old 05-11-2007 | 11:54 AM
Lee,

Thanks for all the info! I'm getting it installed in Denver, so it will be a big altitude change, but I'll make sure and let them know where I'll be doing most of my driving. I've been looking forward to my new Whipple for months, only a few weeks to go, I'm stoked!!

Thanks again, Devon

Old 05-11-2007 | 02:00 PM
Hey Guys, I am thinking about a S/C. Sounds like the Powerworks Magnacharger, the Roush and the Whipple/Ford units are the way to go
for low rpm power. I am curious to know if it is necessary to add injectors, a larger throttle body, MAF and fuel pump with the Whipple? I see the Powerworks kit comes with injectors, not sure about Whipple and Roush.
Was tempted to go with a Roush from Troyer (I like the seperate drive belt)as I think they offer a pretty complete tune. Some eBay vendors seem to offer prices about $1K less but I worry about the service and how complete things are. Joe Heck Racing has a good price on the Whipple, I would like to plan for all the expenses up front.

Thanks for any advice, opinions and guidance.

Old 05-11-2007 | 03:34 PM
I got my blower from Mike T and I think the Roush is the best "complete kit" I'm at 8lbs of boost and I'm makeing great power with the Roush kit. just my .02 but you cant go wrong with the Roush or whipple both are great blowers

Quick Reply: Whipple