Questions about the Whipple upgrade kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 12:54 PM
Sorry it took a bit for me to respond to your question, but I've been out caribou hunting. I've got around 15,000 miles on the Whipple now, and have only had spark plug issues and one faulty valve that happened right after install. It caused a lean condition and threw a code, and Whipple got it fixed for me no charge. The plug issues are due to our low octane premium here in Alaska, so I've been using Torco to boost the octane. It works, but I have to change the plugs about every 3-5,000 miles.

The upgrade kit is worth the money, you will be happy with the gains. The next step will be gears. I installed the 4.56 gears and it felt like as much or more of an increase in power than the upgrade kit.

Also, the shop that installed my Whipple in Vegas said that the quality and fit of the new "Whipple" whipple was much better than before.

Old 08-29-2007 | 06:28 AM
|
Thanks for the input, 05RoushMarkLT. I guess my next mod will either be the OEM 07 F150 Navigation unit or 4.56 gears. Both mods are about the same price range and eventually I plan to do both, but at this moment I could only afford to do one of those mods. Right now, I'm leaning toward getting the OEM Nav because it's a fast and simple thing to do compared to installing new gears. Are you planning to do any more performance mods with your setup? I know JDM's Saleen truck is running in the high 12's now, so I guess there's always a little bit more we can do safely when it comes to increasing the performance of our setup's.

Old 01-09-2008 | 11:27 AM
Sorry to dig this up but this is something I have been contemplating for awhile now. I will be ordering the stock whipple kit soon (hopefully in the next month or two). I was going to order some stock Cobra injectors but was unaware of the fitment problem. Does anyone have any pictures or an explanation on what needs to be trimmed on these injectors? Also, I saw some comments that you don't need the upgraded MAF, is this true for 10psi? And one more question, where can you get a 10psi pulley for the whipple.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 01-10-2008 | 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by mrpositraction
Sorry to dig this up but this is something I have been contemplating for awhile now. I will be ordering the stock whipple kit soon (hopefully in the next month or two). I was going to order some stock Cobra injectors but was unaware of the fitment problem. Does anyone have any pictures or an explanation on what needs to be trimmed on these injectors? Also, I saw some comments that you don't need the upgraded MAF, is this true for 10psi? And one more question, where can you get a 10psi pulley for the whipple.

Thanks,
Greg
Hey Greg, I have done the 39lb mod. Unless they have changed since I got my early production unit, the hole that the injector fits down in is a bit small for the shoulder of the cobra injector to fit into. You just have to grind that shoulder down until it allows the injector rail to fit down properly on its mounts and allow the "O" ring on the injectors to seat properly. Takes some time thats all. I bought my 39's from the net for a real good price and did them myself. I have the pully and the injectors and was going to get a local mustang tuner to tune it. Had the injectors in and the pully on. Drove it to him and he could not alter the whipple tune so they are out and I have never done anything with it since. Yes, Dustin has told me that the 75 will work fine down to something like 20 degrees. Problem is that the voltage values need to be tweeked. It runs great like it is but I will likely do the upgrade sometime. Mike would rather have the whipple 10 pound tune to work with rather than scratch. Now, I know the 10 pound tune is "out there" but have not found anyone with it that would "share". Any tuner that has had a 10 pound truck on the dyno has had access to the tune. It is overpriced IMO from whipple's supplier. They are just passing it on.
I would suggest that you order the entire S/C kit directly from Whipple and have then sub the 10 pound tune for the stock whipp, the 10 pound pully for the 8, and add the injectors. Maybe it would be cheaper that way? The whipple will be able to handle any additional mods that you do later. Its a big S/C for our engines. Lots of volume. According to Troyer, the pistons are the weak link. Too much boost and ther are done. I would love to put in 4:30 gears and get the maf and 10 pound tune. BUT, I have not seen anyone that makes the 4:30s for 4wd. I don't run big tires so I don't need 4:56s for what I do with the truck.
Good luck and keep us posted!!

Old 01-11-2008 | 09:29 AM
Thanks for your response. Do you know what tuning software you tuner was using? I am using HP Tuners. I can download the computer tune directly to my computer and change most any parameter available. We will have to wait and see when I get it. Worse case scenario, I download to view it, and then mimic it in another file and then make my changes there. If I get the 10psi tune figured out I will let you know what I did or changed.

Question: When you say they couldn't change it, did you mean you could see it and delete it, but not alter it?

Thanks,
Greg

Old 01-11-2008 | 10:08 PM
Thanks for your response. Do you know what tuning software you tuner was using? I am using HP Tuners. I can download the computer tune directly to my computer and change most any parameter available. We will have to wait and see when I get it. Worse case scenario, I download to view it, and then mimic it in another file and then make my changes there. If I get the 10psi tune figured out I will let you know what I did or changed.

Question: When you say they couldn't change it, did you mean you could see it and delete it, but not alter it?

Thanks,
Greg
Tried to PM you but it won't go through.

Old 01-11-2008 | 11:21 PM
My tuner used my Predator tuner to connect to his computer. I have the 10# upgrade with larger (95MM Cobra) MAF and 39 lb. injectors. I also installed a GT fuel pump, as we saw the truck go lean at higher RPMs with the stock pump.

I'm running a conservative, slightly rich tune for safety. The truck runs so smooth you'd swear it was completely stock until you stomp on it! Then, it's obvious it's not stock....

It turned out that I was having a bit of belt slip, and a recent trip to the shop corrected that. My numbers below would undoubtedly be a bit higher now that the belt is not slipping. I've got over 8000 miles on the SC'd engine now, with no (so far) real problems.

Good luck,

Lee

Old 01-13-2008 | 06:11 PM
I contacted whipple and this is what they told me:

"The pro flash tool can put the truck back to stock
A Ford dealer cant flash over the supercharger tune to put it back to stock
there programming system wont let them do it
worst case if the tool were lost or damaged we should be able to flash it back to stock here
The tune from the proflash is not locked on the F150 A 3rd party programmer like the
Diablo Predator can modify parameters
or you could seek out a tunning shop to make you a whole new tune
if you built a modified motor "

So you can take the file off and/or use a 3rd party software to change/modify the tune.

Old 01-13-2008 | 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by RBFC
My tuner used my Predator tuner to connect to his computer. I have the 10# upgrade with larger (95MM Cobra) MAF and 39 lb. injectors. I also installed a GT fuel pump, as we saw the truck go lean at higher RPMs with the stock pump.

I'm running a conservative, slightly rich tune for safety. The truck runs so smooth you'd swear it was completely stock until you stomp on it! Then, it's obvious it's not stock....

It turned out that I was having a bit of belt slip, and a recent trip to the shop corrected that. My numbers below would undoubtedly be a bit higher now that the belt is not slipping. I've got over 8000 miles on the SC'd engine now, with no (so far) real problems.

Good luck,

Lee
Do you feel the Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump would have been enough here? I used both the KB BAP and the Diablo MAF.i.a on my Cobra to meet the needs.

Old 01-14-2008 | 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by wstafford
Tried to PM you but it won't go through.
I just noticed I don't have the option or inbox on the top of the screen for pm's. Looked through the settings but don't see any. Do I need more posts or something?

Old 01-14-2008 | 11:46 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Yes, you do. 100 posts and then your a senior member and you can PM

Old 01-14-2008 | 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Yes, you do. 100 posts and then your a senior member and you can PM
Well that sucks, sort of a lot of posts on a technical forum, guess by sometime next year I will be able to send pms

Old 01-16-2008 | 01:13 AM
Do you feel the Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump would have been enough here? I used both the KB BAP and the Diablo MAF.i.a on my Cobra to meet the needs.
I'm sure there are several ways to achieve adequate fuel flow. This is simply what my tuner recommended, and leaves enough reserve for future upgrades.

Lee

Quick Reply: Questions about the Whipple upgrade kit