Questions about the Whipple upgrade kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about the Whipple upgrade kit

I'm about to purchase the Ford Racing/Whipple kit this upcoming week for my 2004 FX4 and I just have a few questions about the upgrade kit. I'm thinking of just getting the upgrade kit for the Whipple right from the start. Is the 10psi upgrade kit just add the 39lbs injectors, larger MAF, and upgraded pulley? I checked out Whipple's web site and I couldn't find anything about an upgrade kit for my truck. If that's all that the upgrade includes, couldn't I just go to my local Ford parts dealer and just get the 03-04's Cobra injectors, and look around for the other two upgraded parts (the pulley and larger MAF)? Anyone know where I could get those parts for cheaper than the dealer?

Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 PM
The 39lb injectors that I have on my truck were from the Cobra, but they had to be machined on one side to get them to fit. The pully's aren't too expensive, but I'd recommend going with the Whipple pully. I'm not sure where else to pick up the MAF housing.

As for doing the upgrade right away... definately!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Does whipple have a 12lb pulley?

Old 08-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might find the MAF your looking for here.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e=search&fgtp=
I think they have 1 or 2 sets of injectors too....lol
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...trypage=search

Phil

Old 08-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
Does whipple have a 12lb pulley?

You can use a 2.75" pulley meant for the Lightning conversions, and that will peak close to 12 psi with a stock crank pulley.

I'm currently at 10 psi, and intend to stay there until I rebuild the bottom end or start with a new short block, etc. The 39# injectors from the Cobra must be machined to fit the 5.4 3V (as mentioned above). Fortunately, Whipple does the work in-house. With the change in pulley size, you'll need to be sure that your idler pulley can take up the extra slack in the belt.

Lee

Old 08-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by RBFC
You can use a 2.75" pulley meant for the Lightning conversions, and that will peak close to 12 psi with a stock crank pulley.

I'm currently at 10 psi, and intend to stay there until I rebuild the bottom end or start with a new short block, etc. The 39# injectors from the Cobra must be machined to fit the 5.4 3V (as mentioned above). Fortunately, Whipple does the work in-house. With the change in pulley size, you'll need to be sure that your idler pulley can take up the extra slack in the belt.

Lee
What needs to be clearenced to make them fit? Mine fit just fine with my vortech setup...

My main concern is I want the same HP figure, 450-500rwhp but with greater instant torque. If the whipple can supply that for me then I'll sell the Vortech and slap on a whipple. If not ill just wait and see if ford brings out the "boss" engine and adapt my vortech to fit on that.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I just called Whipple's main office a short while ago and they quoted me a price of $899 plus shipping for the 10psi upgrade kit. Yikes! For $899, I'm only increasing getting a 2psi increase and a bit more horsepower/torque. That's almost 1/5 of the cost of the whipple supercharger kit itself. Lol. If it was a considerable boost increase and hp/tq increase that I was getting for my $899, I could see myself justifying purchasing the upgrade. I have to think about this one...

Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 PM
05RoushMarkLT - Question...

Are you running a Lysholm compressor Whipple or a post '05 Whipple compressor Whipple? (That almost made sense to me when I typed it...)

If it's the Whipple Whipple - have you had any issues?

Has anybody had any issues with the post '05 Whipple? A company out here in Colorado said the quality went down after the split.

Thanks,

Myk

Old 08-13-2007, 10:59 PM
05RoushMarkLT - Question...

Are you running a Lysholm compressor Whipple or a post '05 Whipple compressor Whipple? (That almost made sense to me when I typed it...)

If it's the Whipple Whipple - have you had any issues?

Has anybody had any issues with the post '05 Whipple? A company out here in Colorado said the quality went down after the split.

Thanks,

Myk

Old 08-15-2007, 12:35 PM
I've had my "Whipple Whipple" for a little more than 15000 miles now with no problems whatsoever. About 8000 of those miles were with the upgraded 10psi kit.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Nihilism
I just called Whipple's main office a short while ago and they quoted me a price of $899 plus shipping for the 10psi upgrade kit. Yikes! For $899, I'm only increasing getting a 2psi increase and a bit more horsepower/torque. That's almost 1/5 of the cost of the whipple supercharger kit itself. Lol. If it was a considerable boost increase and hp/tq increase that I was getting for my $899, I could see myself justifying purchasing the upgrade. I have to think about this one...
In my opinion, you gotta pay to play. Go for the upgrade kit, you won't regret it. If I'm not mistaken, the 39lb injectors alone can run you $300-400. If you haven't already, you might as well get re-geared in your rear end too.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Nihilism
The cobra injectors do not fit directly because of the Whipple intake. The injectors will not fit down properly unless a bit of the shoulder is taken off. No biggie there to do it yourself. So you can buy your own injectors off the net for much cheaper. MAF Dustin Whipple says that there is no HP gain going to the 95mm and that the benefit from it is low temp voltage on the sensor. That leaves the pulley and the tune. Thats the kicker. They have the values and not even Mike Troyer will tune it from scratch without a big bunch of $$$. The tune is what you need for a baseline and someone like Mike can fine tune it to your truck. dustin said that you can use the pulley and injectors without the Maf and tune from there. I haven't found anyone that wants to do it though. After all, it's just a few HP. You will find that the base whipple will do fine unless you are racing or dyno hopping I'd say spend the 9 hundred on some gears and let her rip! Hope that makes sence, I pretty tired right now.
I have the Whipple Whipple. Only about 10 thousand miles but no probs.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. After thinking long and hard about it for about three days, I placed my order for the upgrade with Mike from Whipple earlier today. It was a tough decision to make to spend that much more money for just a small increase of boost/hp/tq. But in the end, I knew if I didn't get the upgrade, I would just be thinking about what it would be like to have the upgrade. Now, I can have some peace of mind about my Whipple setup.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Others, such as RoushMarkLT, have agreed with me that the bigger gain from the upgrade kit is the midrange increase. I gained about 60 HP and 90 TQ at 3000 RPM with the kit.

It makes your truck drive like a different vehicle compared to the stock Whipple.

Good luck,

Lee

Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
That makes me feel much better about spending my money on the upgrade, RBFC.

Quick Reply: Questions about the Whipple upgrade kit