turbocharged!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbocharged!

just wanted to show you guys a few pictures of my 2003 4.2l v6 turbo project.

i know these pictures dont really show much detail..

i started the install december 11th. the second picture is from last night. the only thing left is to run oil lines, vacuum lines, gauges, and of course tuning.

oh and i also need some hose clamps... other then that though its pretty much done.

i'll be running no more than 8 psi. along with bolting on this stuff we changed to 39lb injectors, 90mm lightning maf, walbro 255lph fuel pump, and some colder spark plugs

:santa:

Old 12-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good. More pics????
Did you delete the a/c?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
Looks good. More pics????
Did you delete the a/c?
dont have any more pics to show at the moment, but i'll have a vid of the dynotuning session and all that really soon.

a/c has not been deleted. i live in texas it gets really humid lol. and since im not building a race truck im keeping it real nice and comfortable. just want some more power out of the little thing.

this is my daily driver, the more money i put into it the more i wish i had a second car. the worst i expect out of this project would be some exhaust leaks or vacuum leaks.. done too much homework to be worried about blowing the motor up. unless the tuner didnt know what they were doing but im not worried about that either.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
nice project

Old 12-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats cool man keep up the good work and let see how it runs soon

Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 PM
How did you........

determine the correct turbo for the application? What trim, a/r etc....
Ive been thinking about building a system for my 07 5.4 Screw and am getting a bit confused on turbo selection.

More pics too please!

L.R.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Lightningryn
determine the correct turbo for the application? What trim, a/r etc....
Ive been thinking about building a system for my 07 5.4 Screw and am getting a bit confused on turbo selection.

More pics too please!

L.R.
i didnt have to do all the math on this, a friend of mine built the kit and did all the homework on what size turbo and pipe to use.

being that its a v6, ive got a 57trim a/r is .50 should make full boost at about 2500 rpm. this kit is actually a remote mount kit coming right off the manifolds and back up into the engine bay. smaller turbo will also reduce the 'lag' of being remote mount. with something like a t70 i woudl have had to flip the manifolds and there'd be a lot less piping, but this is my daily driver and emissions stuff is something i have to keep.

for a 5.4l u need to get a pretty damn big turbo.

Last edited by tj03f150; 12-22-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Its good to have friends in the turbo business! Ive got two options for my truck: Twins directly of the manifolds (still rear facing) or a remote mount as you have done. There is no room for piping to flip the manifolds on mine as the upper control arm mounts are too close to the manifolds.

Both have pretty hefty design issues: The twins off the manifold are going to be tough because I need to have them high enough that the oil return can still be a gravity drain. I'm not screwing with the failure prone scavenge pumps to get oil out of the turbo's cartridge. Initial measuring has shown that in order to be high enough, it may be very difficult to plumb in the wastegate return. Turbo's with internal wastegates may be the best answer....

Remote mount means more lag and a smaller turbo to compensate for it. Remote mount also means electric fans and more heat soak.

Not sure the best plan yet, but somethings got to get this 4 ton monster moving!

Awesome project though, please get some detailed pics posted.

L.R.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:13 PM
oh yeah i wont have to use a scavenge pump for mine either since its under the hood.

twins would be amazing for a 5.4l you may have to fabricate your own headers though if space is the biggest issue you have. or maybe you can build a turbo header and do it sort of the way the grand national was setup.

i'll be posting pics i just want to wait until its 100% complete after tuning and all that good stuff.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the DFW. I've always wanted a turbo setup but don't have enough experience with them to actually build a kit. I have done lots of reading and know what is required and all, I just want someone with some experience to help me out with the actual installation and fabrication. You think you and your buddy would be willing to lend a hand. Your contributions wouldn't be overlooked by anymeans. Its a 2005 5.4 supercrew. Let me know man thanks
And merry christmas to the rest!

Old 12-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Exclamation turbo kit?

its kool that your friend does the kits i been looking for a turbo kit for a long time now i have a 4.6 1998 f150 supercab and i saw a kit once and lost the site from there and been looking

Old 12-27-2007, 01:02 PM
my friend doesnt actually make KitS more like made A Kit.. just 1.

I had to finish the very last pipe from the turbo to intercooler and back up to the throttlebody.

theres really not THAT much to it. its a pain in the *** thats for sure. but if you were to look at my kit you'd understand exactly how everything works and see that its not that hard. the only thing hard thing about it is figuring out where ur going to route the pipes and how your going to get them to the turbo. the other thing that could be hard is figuring out what the best size turbocharger to run and how much psi and all that the motor and trans can handle as well as what size piping to run.

other then that its not as hard as you might think.

my truck is at the shop right now, they are running the oil lines, vacuum lines, and hooking up the gauges so this thing can be tuned.

ive been really nervous and sick to my stomach lately lol

i have a friend that lives in the dallas area, he's always lookin to help people with this kind of stuff.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by fordf150krew
its kool that your friend does the kits i been looking for a turbo kit for a long time now i have a 4.6 1998 f150 supercab and i saw a kit once and lost the site from there and been looking

http://www.got-pressure.com/yabbse/index.php talk to pilot

here's his other site

http://www.turbof150.com/

Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
you seem to really like Mark's kit.

is Crash back in the picture? or is it just Mark? I dont know if Crash is out yet from his incident a few years ago or whatever.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by tj03f150
you seem to really like Mark's kit.

is Crash back in the picture? or is it just Mark? I dont know if Crash is out yet from his incident a few years ago or whatever.

naw Crash ain't back yet Mark is still doing stuff though, I've bought some procharger parts from him.

Marks kit makes more power than anything else I've seen on a 5.4 or 4.6 truck, and his own truck is just plain mean

Quick Reply: turbocharged!