Procharger installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo

Originally Posted by 428gt
Good god! that turbo must be capable of 2800+hp...must be one hell of a "street" car
Precision says 2700 or so ..
I run a turbo'd 572 all aluminum KB block in my dart. On 11 lbs boost its made 1326 RWHP pump gas! so really.. the truck is an occasional tow rig for long hauls. Has a traction problem with drag radials.. 9.1's ay 150+ with terrible launches so far.. Should go low 8's quite easily when I get some big tires under it. Its fuel injected.. and drives nicely on the street. It can make highway trips but haven't done too many yet.

On the bright side it seems to be getting better then normal mileage after driving it on the highway a bunch this tank (more normal for me). Ill let ya know what it ends up at.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by dart_440
Precision says 2700 or so ..
I run a turbo'd 572 all aluminum KB block in my dart. On 11 lbs boost its made 1326 RWHP pump gas! so really.. the truck is an occasional tow rig for long hauls. Has a traction problem with drag radials.. 9.1's ay 150+ with terrible launches so far.. Should go low 8's quite easily when I get some big tires under it. Its fuel injected.. and drives nicely on the street. It can make highway trips but haven't done too many yet.

On the bright side it seems to be getting better then normal mileage after driving it on the highway a bunch this tank (more normal for me). Ill let ya know what it ends up at.
Damn, that sounds sweet ...and I though I was happy making 900 on 11.5 psi with pump gas (but I guess I have a pretty small motor compared to you). That is really cool though, do you have any pics? What engine management are you using?

Last edited by 428gt; 12-30-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Turbo

Theres a couple pics from before. I run a Megasquirt II with 165 Lb precision injectors. It works great, you would have to pay me to goto a FAST or a Big stuff 3. I tune EFI for a hobby at the local chassis dyno and after seeing so many aftermarket ECU's I like my MS II the best.

Your car makes great power for 428 cubes! Are you running twin 76's? or 70s?

Im adding a 2nd WG to get the boost down and power. Plus doing a backhalf this winter... hopefully a 4 link would make a DR hook. Doing a few other creature comforts to make it more well mannered on the street.

Any pics of yours?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:01 AM
Man that downpipe must be big but that turbo makes it look tiny LOL. Looks like it goes pretty damn good. I would imagine it is very hard to get that to hook at all, especially trying to keep it somewhat streetable too.

Mine just has a couple of cheap GT4088's with .81 housings (which are about 65's) I figured I'd give them a try and see how they work...so far they seem to be working well. I'm just using an AEM EMS with 160's and I love it...but I haven't tried all the others either.

Well, not as crazy as yours, but here's a couple of pics with the turbo kit I made with a little bit of welding help from a buddy of mine. If you look close enough, you'll see a shadow of one of the car seats in the back.

Last edited by 428gt; 12-31-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Gents..

Those are 2 of the sickest cars Ive seen in a long time.

I love the 86-93 body style as well..

Old 12-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Turbo

Thanks. I was very close to putting a rear mount turbo on my truck and I might even still attempt one..
Be simple to put a 60 some MM turbo rear mounted on the stock exhaust after the Y.

Nice car! My bro has a 91 GT that looks almost identical. Does it hook?

Mine is pretty tame from a boost standpoint.. next weak point will be my transmission.. we will see this next year!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks!

I keep looking at my truck too to see the easiest way of doing a turbo on it, then I don't do much with it...maybe it is cause I've been lazy.

No it doesn't hook yet. I want to be able to run some mid 9's on my 17 Mickey T DR's...at least that is my goal. I haven't really tried to make it hook either though, as I'm just running an old Tremec TKO for a trans. I went to the track a couple of times but left very soft and shifted with plenty of time to make sure it was in gear before I let the clutch out. I wasn't really ready to break the trans just yet. My best so far was a crappy 10.6 @ 150.05. I was hoping to get a TH 400 for it this spring, but it might have to wait until later this summer.

Here's a pass on 9.5 psi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXhaAl8-5Cc
Dyno vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBapFOkJ3HE

Oh, sorry to kind of hijack your thread!

Last edited by 428gt; 01-01-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Turbo

I find the car a lot more fun then my truck.. so no worries about hijacking the thread.

My friend runs a T56 with some strengthened internals behind is SB2 SB and it seems to be holding up with hard launches.

The Auto will make your car run a whole second faster at a MINIMUM!
17" DRs can only hold so much but they should be ok, just get a nice loose converter..

I run a tight 10" converter thats about a 2800 stall.. once it hits boost it drives right through it though on the TB. Might get it tightened a tiny bit more..

Also I need to lean my FMU on my truck.. the stupid fitting was just glued on..?? the guy must have broke it I bought it from. Hope to call ATI and get a new one so I can make it lean and mean! LOL

Old 01-02-2008, 12:16 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Went on the highway today and it seems better, need that bypass to close a little sooner for the longer hills.. Im wondering if I should put the 12 lb pulley on??
The 12 lbs will make boost sooner as the blower is turning faster at the same Crankshaft RPM as the 9 lbs pulley.

I wouldn't play with the vacuum to the by-pass valve. A spring helps it close and overcome mild amounts of vacuum. If you limit the vacuum to the valve you also limit the boost that closes it. Weaker vacuum would also hinder its opening when the throttle is released and could cause compressor surge. As soon as you nail the gas the valve closes. I have never measured how mush vacuum is required to open the valve but I could test my old valve and see.

JMC

Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
JMC are you still running the stock ATI "pro-valve" as ATI calls it???

Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
JMC

Yes, they sent me a new one for free. The actuator rod snapped when I double nutted it rendering it useless. I called them and they admitted that they were having problems with the nut coming off, allowing the diaphragm to pull away causing the valve to remain shut. With the 12 lbs pulley I get a few pounds of boost at 2000 rpm at partial throttle.

JMC

Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 PM
12 lb pulley.

I have a 12 lb pulley.. should I risk it with an FMU and the boost-a-pump?
I dont plan on being full throttle too often. Im wondering if that will cure this 4.6L on the highway.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 PM
JMC

I have a 12 lb pulley.. should I risk it with an FMU and the boost-a-pump?
I dont plan on being full throttle too often. Im wondering if that will cure this 4.6L on the highway.
I did not. I never installed the FMU or the Boost-a-pump. I started off with a 190 l/hr pump and 24 lbs injectors on the 9# pulley. With the 12# I went to 42lbs injectors and a 255 l/hr pump.

JMC

Old 01-03-2008, 12:12 AM
changing oil on Pro-Charger

I came up with a solution for the oil changes, I put on alot of highway miles, and it doesn't take to long before I gotta change the oil. I went to Princess Auto (you could go anywhere the does hydrualic hoses) got them to make a hose with a crimped fitting that threaded into the bottom of the blower, and is about 20" long, ran it down and out by the drivers side wheel well, has a crimped fitting with a cap nut on the end. The only thing is the lack of Magnet, but I never really had any on it when it was there anyway, Hope it helps. Only takes about 5 mins to change now

Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
I came up with a solution for the oil changes, I put on alot of highway miles, and it doesn't take to long before I gotta change the oil. I went to Princess Auto (you could go anywhere the does hydrualic hoses) got them to make a hose with a crimped fitting that threaded into the bottom of the blower, and is about 20" long, ran it down and out by the drivers side wheel well, has a crimped fitting with a cap nut on the end. The only thing is the lack of Magnet, but I never really had any on it when it was there anyway, Hope it helps. Only takes about 5 mins to change now
I'd like to see a picture of that, oops hijacking the thread again SORRY

Quick Reply: Procharger installed!