Roush Supercharger 0n '08 4x4 Supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008 | 06:04 PM
|
Roush Supercharger 0n '08 4x4 Supercrew

Ok, guys...I need some input please!
I am looking at the Troyer Performance Stage 4 kit for my '08 King Ranch SuperCrew 4x4. That kit comes with the Roush supercharger/intercooler, flash programmer, and Roush exhaust.
Does anyone have any insight on performance gains, noise levels of exhaust, etc? Also, maybe an estimate for labor charges to have this installed?
ANY input at all would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Old 01-06-2008 | 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by rubrnek
Ok, guys...I need some input please!
I am looking at the Troyer Performance Stage 4 kit for my '08 King Ranch SuperCrew 4x4. That kit comes with the Roush supercharger/intercooler, flash programmer, and Roush exhaust.
Does anyone have any insight on performance gains, noise levels of exhaust, etc? Also, maybe an estimate for labor charges to have this installed?
ANY input at all would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Well you are gonna need some dyno time for the tunes, and you would prally want to get the new puley while you are there so I would not think it would run more than 7500 total but it could if your plugs are a pain in the *** or they run in to other issues the coust could go up, I would give them a call they did my instal the people there are great

Old 01-10-2008 | 08:22 AM
i think 7500 is on the low side if you ask me. i had troyer install my supercharger along with GMS coils and the upgrade pulley. i will not post prices over the internet but you might want to call mike before you commit yourself to a certain price. im taking my truck back to get the blower ported and retuned by mike. guess getting my money straight and making sure he has the time. he's the best in the business and i dont mind paying him. i see what JDM is doing and i see a lot of people posting results with the whipple. whipple seems to be making more power ( all of the twin screws for that) but then again i really cant say that because even with the pulley from troyer they are still not turning 10lbs. i think the roush (troyer preffered) is the most complete kit. i have a friend who just brought a new harley with saleen supercharger. we did a few roll ons and some dead stop racing and the roush did what needed to be done and then some. I would like to see the difference when he gets it back from vaspeed i think the place is. hes getting the pulley and some other stuff that he ordered from JDM installed. i should have mine back from troyer with the ported blower done and then we can see whats what. i have a brother with a whipple that looks good on the dyno. i kill him from a dead until the 1/8, he catches me right has we pass the 1/4 mile mark or around 110 or so. but he doesnt just blow by its a real slow creep and we both shut down at about 130ish. when we get out of them my front bumper will be at his passenger door or driver depending on the side of the road im on lol. after the port job i am looking forward to seeing what happens but hes also going to get his tuned. hes running the can tune from whipple. if i had to do all over again from reading it would be a saleen or whipple. but if your getting mike to tune it you should be good, ( i wish i would have had the time for him to send off my blower and get it ported before it was installed but i was short on time) oh and for exhaust i have dynatechs, cut out the y and ran them dual into the magnaflow and dual out, same setup mike has on his lightning at one time, and fal 270s. truck made 392/442. after the port mike assured me that it should pass the 400 mark easily. so next month i will be in a new league. never thought i would enjoy it so much but messing with mike can be addictive, you learn so much and hes by far the best tuner out there . if i were you i would get the electric fans for sure, mike has a nice set with the new brackets if you have the money. Oh and the coils too. Enjoy getting Blown lol

Old 01-10-2008 | 09:44 AM
Now these are my experiences, some data posted on websites contradicts what I am about to say.

I have owned both types of blowers, roots and twin screws. They were on different cars, but the reason I am about to say what I am going to say is that I did a lot of reading on both types.

IMO, the roots hits harder than the twin screw, but that is not what whipple has posted on their website. Where the roots begins to lack is the upper rpms, they tend to fall off. Now porting will help this, especially if you are not running max efficiency of the blower. I was on my Cobra and even with the porting I was dropping on the top end. I did hold boost better, but I could feel the top end become weak. The twin screw held till the better end. I always explained it like the car would pull itself into a ball of flames if you let it. The twin screw never stopped pulling, wh/ I think the example above shows what my opinions from reading and experience are. The root wins out of the hole and the twin screw pulls throughout. The reason I am going with the twin screw is for a couple reasone. For one, price, I can't believe the most efficient positive displacement blower is the leaste expensive. Two, when I want to build the lower end the twin screw will allow me to run a much higher boost efficiently over the roots.

Now I don't quite understand why you said whipple was making more power, and then followed it up with a comment saying thay are not making 10psi like your roots is? More power at less boost is a good thing.

Now don't get me wrong, if the prices where the other way around, I would probably have to do a lot of convincing of myself to buy the twin screw for the second reason I mentioned. Honestly, for what I am going to be doing with it for at least the next 4 years is well within the limits of either blower, and they could do them both efficiently.

Old 01-10-2008 | 12:22 PM
You dont need 10lbs+ to make over 400 I made 410 and the temp and humidity were in the upper 90's and I'm running around 8.5-9lbs, now in the cold weather I'm sure I'm making well over 430

Old 01-11-2008 | 02:51 AM
i never stated that you need 10lbs. i said that the roush doesnt turn 10lbs. with the pulley that troyer installed at the time the truck is right around 8 and sometimes it might hit 8.5lbs. i'm at 392 right now and i know that if it was cooler that day it would have hit the 400hp mark. i stated that whipple owners see the 400hp mark but they're upgrade kit takes them to 10lbs. The whipple is at 10lbs, the roush is at 8lbs. im sure you can take the roush to 10 but i was warned against that from mike for longetivity reasons. i would like to see the roush at 10lbs along with the whipple for a fair comparison but not willing to sacrifice my truck yet. troyer said the hes turning 15 with his lightning and the roush is doing just great. i know that when i left his shop he passed me on the highway and when he nailed it, that truck sound awesome when it spooled up i know that the roush can not take the high rpms as well as the whipple but for what i do with my truck ( street queen not a full blown racer) it works out great. i know the whipple can make more power but how high do you really turn up a f150. mike set my truck at 5600 for the first shift and 5800 for the rest. my roush doesnt fall off at all or get weak to feel has its floating. im sure that if i was trying to turn 6500 or so then it wouldnt be a contest between the whipple and roush or any twin screw or centi. like i said if i were to do it all over without mike i would have went twinscrew. the roush was great for the price because after talking to mike i knew that i could grow. it came with the injectors and all that were needed. only thing i added was a different pulley to the kit. there was nothing else to buy at all. and has i stated the roush is still not at 10lbs like the whipple. now if the roush was at 10lbs with the whipple i think the hp level would really be close. but then again if it were any higher down low i would never get to moving because just nailing it from a dead will roast the tires and im on 22's. 3.73 gears. was going to get 4.10s but tires would be to expensive. im porting not so much for the power but to try and increase cfm and lower the discharge temps. plus im trying to find a larger intercooler for the summer coming up. hoped that cleared a few things up.

Last edited by dirtyo2000; 01-11-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2008 | 09:22 AM
It makes perfect sense. As far as how far do I want to turn up an F150.....well, that depends how mucn money I have when I pop this engine.

Quick Reply: Roush Supercharger 0n '08 4x4 Supercrew