Pros and Cons of Blow Through vs Draw Through Mass Air Meter

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros and Cons of Blow Through vs Draw Through Mass Air Meter

Guys, since I'm redoing my whole intake/intercooler setup, whats my best bet here? What are the pros and cons of each? Which is going to give me the most accurate tune?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A blow through allows venting excess pressure to air. Draw through requires a bypass valve. The amount of air going over the meter is what the tuner needs. Weather it is pressurized or not the meter will capture that info and the tuner will adjust settings accordingly. For the best tune both systems will need an accurate reading of the inlet air temp.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by JMC
A blow through allows venting excess pressure to air. Draw through requires a bypass valve.
Jean Marc Chartier
Both will have to have a bypassvalve, just a matter of where it vents to. I'm just trying to figure out which one gives the most driveable features, ease of tunability, and consistency. Like with the draw through, you have to deal with backwash on the MAM, potentially... Just trying to figure out all the issues with each option. Seems like most people prefer the blow through.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you vent a Blow through in front of the MAF you do not need to bypass.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 09-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
If you vent a Blow through in front of the MAF you do not need to bypass.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Right, but it still has to have a bypass, just doesn't have to be returned to the intake air flow.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been blow thru for a while, and it is so much easier to deal with. I have a 3" Pmas tube mounted in the pipe between the intercooler and throttle body, about at the water pump. This is the longest straight shot of air.

Set up like this, you do just about whatever you want an the other side of the intercooler. I have a Mini race bypass and waste gate vented to atmosphere, but all the maf sees is what comes through the IC, which is very stable.

I had nothing but trouble trying get the Lmaf to work with a large recirculating bypass in draw thru config.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
I've been blow thru for a while, and it is so much easier to deal with. I have a 3" Pmas tube mounted in the pipe between the intercooler and throttle body, about at the water pump. This is the longest straight shot of air.

Set up like this, you do just about whatever you want an the other side of the intercooler. I have a Mini race bypass and waste gate vented to atmosphere, but all the maf sees is what comes through the IC, which is very stable.

I had nothing but trouble trying get the Lmaf to work with a large recirculating bypass in draw thru config.

Thats one of the issues I was wondering about. My Mass Air is a BA2400 which is 4" and my intercooler will be 3" pipe. I'd like to go to a blow through but not sure if going from a 3" tube to a 4" mass air really makes any sense. Might cause some issues going from a 3" to a 4" section then back down to a 3". Or I could just go from 3" up to the 4" and then go straight into the throttle body and neck it down to 3" with the MAMeter right in front of the throttle body.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by derrick929
Thats one of the issues I was wondering about. My Mass Air is a BA2400 which is 4" and my intercooler will be 3" pipe. I'd like to go to a blow through but not sure if going from a 3" tube to a 4" mass air really makes any sense. Might cause some issues going from a 3" to a 4" section then back down to a 3". Or I could just go from 3" up to the 4" and then go straight into the throttle body and neck it down to 3" with the MAMeter right in front of the throttle body.
The BA's are nice mafs.
I doubt that a 4" will fit in front of the engine, at least it wouldn't on mine but you may have more room.
I'm just not sure about the 3/4/3 transition, but probably would be a problem unless the 4" sections were long enough to let the air flow. I don't see that with our set ups.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:54 PM
iv been usein a 90mm draw through mass air for some time now with no problems. I puy my mass air between the throttlebody and I/C right in front of my electric fans and my blow off between my my I/C and my supercharger. Works well for me

This pic you can see my blow off routed back to my superchager inlet but know its vented to the atmosphere.

These pics are old but the mass air is now where the blue intake clamp is

Last edited by justin mccluske; 09-21-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by derrick929

why don't you run a '04-newer slot style MAF and one of justin starkey's MAF adapters. that's your best and cheapest bet.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:15 AM
justin mccluske- Your intake is is like the one I made for my draw thru with the L maf, and I never had a stable maf signal....I'm not sure why.

tarajerame - I agree, with the 04' slot style maf idea, some even have the iat wired through them. But, Derrick already has the BA maf, so I would give it a try.

Edit: I just remembered. The slot style maf with the iat is a problem if you want to use water/meth injection. You want the juice to hit the iat sensor, but never the maf sensor....

Last edited by ONELOWF; 09-22-2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Forgetful!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
why don't you run a '04-newer slot style MAF and one of justin starkey's MAF adapters. that's your best and cheapest bet.

I'm not familiar with this..... I've had the BA2400 for a while, the tuner I'm using likes SCT equipment. I"m not sure if he would like using the slot style. I don't know how it will work with the other SCT equipment. Will that be a problem?

Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 AM
"I doubt that a 4" will fit in front of the engine, at least it wouldn't on mine but you may have more room."

I think I could get it to fit, I have Efans so there is a good bit of room, it might be tight though.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I'm thinking I may sell the BA2400 and go with this instead. I like the looks of this...

Any idea if the SCT tuners have any issues with tuning these? Guess not Since VMP is a SCT tuner and recommends it. I guess there are no issues with it matching up to 42lb injectors? Anyone know of any issues there?

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=230&parent=99

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=235&parent=29

Last edited by derrick929; 09-22-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 AM
I bought my Pmas from my tuner, made him happy twice!
I had ordered a tube from Justin, but my tuner said it was overkill, and would not give the best resolution, so too big electronically.
Email Justin and ask for his recomendation.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of Blow Through vs Draw Through Mass Air Meter