Troyer/Super charger

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troyer/Super charger

Im thinking about making the 730 mile drive to troyer to get a roush intercooled supercharger.....would probably get dynatech long tubes, electric fans and gms coils while im there done too.
any suggestions or info from anybody would be appreciated as i know nothing about supercharging a truck
thanks

Old 09-26-2008, 11:35 PM
add a pulley and magnaflow exhaust and you have my truck lol. troyer is the best in the business. did my truck and it runs great. how long do you plan on being there because what your getting done will probably take a few days but you will defintely be pleased. should hit the 400 mark and will defintely get you home a lot faster lol. i changed my flex a lite for his fans and im happy has can be. even with 22's ill still knock off pretty much any truck i run up against within reason lol. i do have a ported blower but i think all that did was help burn more fuel lol. make the trip nothing like having him tune your truck on the dyno and then taking it for his quality control test drive.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not charged, so take what I say how ever you like.

1. Be prepared to spend some money on a built tranny. the stock 4r75 is crap and does not hold up too well once you go charged. Just about everyone who has gone S/C has ended up with tranny trouble.

2. Get your exhaust bolt issue resolved before you do anything else. If you end up having a lot of broken bolts and they have to pull the motor to fix it, then you might as well put in a forged short block that way you can crank up the boost. A 5.4 3v SB with forged internals from DSS racing is 4 grand, the forged long block 5.4 3v is $9800, but that includes new CNC ported ford racing heads and your choice of new comp cams.

3. unless you plan on spending some serious cash, about the most you will see is about 425 rwhp, and that is with LT's, e-fans, coils, and a 2lb lower pulley. Just the roush charger and a 2lb lower will get you max about 390. Adding CNC ported heads and cams can net you an extra 60 hp but it will cost you about 4 grand just for them. If you plan on keeping your stock internals, don't go past 10 lbs of boost (Troyer doesn't like to go past 10 on a stock short block anyway)

4. About 2 years ago, a member on here had JDM build him an aluminum long block out of the ford GT supercar, he had all forged internals, CNC ported 3v heads, cams, and a whipple S/C cranked up to 15 psi and he only put down 550 hp. My point is that the same engine in a stang with a manual trans would have put 625-650 to the wheels, he had 700-725 at the crank. These crappy trannys and power robbing transfer-cases suck a lot of power. Even if you spend the cash on a forged engine with the heads and cams and pump in lots of boost, 15 psi is about as much as you can run on pump gas. As a side note, the whipple is a larger displacement S/C than the roush, so that means the roush will need more boost to make the same power.

5. JDM is running a 2wd scab 6.5' bed with the saleen S/C at 12 psi, the standard bolt-ons and 23" wheels and tires, and is running mid 12's in the quarter.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:06 AM
you know jealousy is a terrible thing, lol i bought my roush off ebay and had a local sct guy (who knows troyer) put it on for me, so far i still have my tranny, but you will be fine working with mike hes is the best (im still waiting on my tune) you shouldnt have a problem just dont go crazy with the boost

Old 09-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Good info guys.....what kind of work is an unpgrade for the tranny? i see rpmoutlet has some kind of spring kit the trannys (i know people here dont like the site im just saying)
I would like to hit 400 at the wheel....is that too much power for the stock tranny?

Old 09-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Suspended
i also believe if you put LT headers that will drop your boost level down. so you can upgrade your pulley to get you back up to 8-10 pounds of boost. but i vote for going to troyer and getting blown. have not heard one complaint from troyer tuning. besides ofcourse the 10 week wait for tunes which you wouldnt have to worry about

Old 09-28-2008, 02:02 PM
there are those that are over 400 at the rear wheels and dont have any tranny issues. it basically all depends on how you drive your truck. take care of it and it will take care of you. manual shift it, do power brake burnouts with the trans shifting through the gears and yes you will destroy it. i have no transmission issues with mine so far and i have done 2 burnouts with 22's and took it town the 1/4 6 times. 10000 miles but i do catch quite a few redlights with different trucks and a lot of highway cutting the fool. no trans problems what so ever.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Go for it I had Mike do my blower install last time I was there I put down 410 with AIT's at 98 and for the guys that say you will have trans issues they mujst beat the snot out ot there truck my truck just clocked 65K and I have not had one issue with the trans and I have a stack of 1/4 mile times,

and one other thing I would call up mike and have the blower ported before the install

Old 09-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
1. Be prepared to spend some money on a built tranny. the stock 4r75 is crap and does not hold up too well once you go charged. Just about everyone who has gone S/C has ended up with tranny trouble.

3. unless you plan on spending some serious cash, about the most you will see is about 425 rwhp, and that is with LT's, e-fans, coils, and a 2lb lower pulley. Just the roush charger and a 2lb lower will get you max about 390.
This guy has no idea what he is talking about

Old 09-28-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
This guy has no idea what he is talking about
A little harsh there Matt.

Just because you haven't had tranny trouble yet doesnt mean most others wont. Fact is the 4R75 is only designed to handle 375 lb/ft of torque in stock form. The 5.4 3v puts out 365 lb/ft off the showroom floor, once you go S/C'd your torque is well past the 400 mark and then your on borrowed time on a bone stock tranny. Sure, having a troyer tune will help the longevity of the tranny, and so will driving responsibly and not like a 17 year old who stole it.

Sure you may have 65K on your truck, but not that many being S/C'd. IIRC you just had it put on last year. How many miles since being S/C'd?

I don't think the numbers I posted were bad, in fact I may have been a little too generous. You have the roush I/C S/C with LT's, e-fans and coil packs and a troyer tune and your puttin down 410, so my estimate of 425 as the most you'll see seems pretty close. Truth be told your truck puts down the most I've seen for a roush S/C. As a matter of fact, I think there are only 2 members that have cracked the 400 hp mark with a roush.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 09-28-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:41 PM
A little harsh there Matt.

Just because you haven't had tranny trouble yet doesnt mean most others wont. Fact is the 4R75 is only designed to handle 375 lb/ft of torque in stock form. The 5.4 3v puts out 365 lb/ft off the showroom floor, once you go S/C'd your torque is well past the 400 mark and then your on borrowed time on a bone stock tranny. Sure, having a troyer tune will help the longevity of the tranny, and so will driving responsibly and not like a 17 year old who stole it.

Sure you may have 65K on your truck, but not that many being S/C'd. IIRC you just had it put on last year. How many miles since being S/C'd?

I don't think the numbers I posted were bad, in fact I may have been a little too generous. You have the roush I/C S/C with LT's, e-fans and coil packs and a troyer tune and your puttin down 410, so my estimate of 425 as the most you'll see seems pretty close. Truth be told your truck puts down the most I've seen for a roush S/C. As a matter of fact, I think there are only 2 members that have cracked the 400 hp mark with a roush.
Your going to scare this guy into staying stock. Add blower, keep boost under 10 or so and be happy, very happy and "yes" take care of it.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My blower went on at 60,000 and I am now at 78,500 with no issues. Tranny is stock, I run 35's, and I have been known to run the snot out of mine.
Keep a level head and NEVER do an overdrive to 2nd full acceleration down shift and it should stay together just fine.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:53 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The 4R75 is rated at 750 Ft-Lbs of torque. Hence the 75. Regardless beating the snot out of your truck on a daily basis is not healthy for the transmission. Talk to mike about what mods he thinks you may need to keep your truck alive.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 750 ft-lbs is... well you gotta remember that's not what's delivered to the drive-shaft. That's internal torque with multiplication through the gears. You can expect it to handle (with longevity) about half the internal rated number once it gets to the wheels. My stock tranny lasted about 5,000 miles after the Roushcharger install (never doing OD to 2 downshifts). And that was with the last 2,000 miles really being horrible. On it's dying days it would slip horribly from 1-2 with mid-throttle. I just had a BC Automotive tranny installed and Mike and I are doing some data-logging to get it dialed-in (higher stall and triple disk converter). There are plenty of stories of the stock 4R75 not lasting after adding boost --- just because it hasn't happened to a particular individual doesn't mean its not an issue. These are heavy trucks and while its a great tranny for a Mustang it just doesn't hold up well in the F150s.

With the new tranny installed I opted to up the ante and installed Dynatech long-tubes with high-flow catalytic converters, and widing the pipe from the behind the y-pipe from 2.5 inches to 3 all the way back to the Roush exhaust.

Consider that the Lightning, a truck which weighs in at about 1500 lbs lighter than a late model Supercrew puts out less HP yet Ford opted to use the 4R100 in it. These didn't do that without good reason. You've got to factor in weight, not just raw HP and torque - otherwise they'd still be using the 4R100 behind the Powerstroke (and it wasn't all that great when it was used with the 7.3L especially after adding power). The weight of the late model F150 adds a hell of a lot of load to the tranny.

Last edited by DigitalMarket; 09-28-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Truth be told your truck puts down the most I've seen for a roush S/C. As a matter of fact, I think there are only 2 members that have cracked the 400 hp mark with a roush.

So am I the other member over the 400 mark? and I put out just a hair more than Matt... LoL hey Matt crank it up man!

I have about 40K of hard miles which incudes towing a 6K-7K boat and I am pushing 489TQ to the tires. I run the 1/4 and the stop lights quite often and so far my tranny is holding out ok. I do have a total of 90K on it but only the last 40K while SC.

Quick Reply: Troyer/Super charger