Soon To Be FI with my 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mind if I ask where you got that kit at that price? Sounds like a pretty smokin deal

Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by CobraKit
Depending on the intercooler you may be right. I would think the normal air to air may have more of a problem then the intercoolers that are water to air models whereby the IC is below the blower. The real reason for the IC is that as boost goes up temp goes up which requires timing to go down which makes less power. If you raise boost and lower the air temperature, you can then run more timing.

ALL intercoolers will cost a little boost pressure...no way around that. For street driven vehicles an intercooled setup is the best way to make the most reliable power. Look at all the OEM supercharged or turbocharged vehicles on the market...they ALL have intercoolers in one form or another. Race cars...it all depends. I do know that some Renegade class cars run a ton of boost, no intercooler, and AFR's in the 8's and can beat the living **** out similar setup that is intercooled....food for thought.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:24 AM
1st of all congrats on S/C! thats a hell of a deal! and dont let these guys get you down, you will be impressed with the gains regardless. the reliability is also nothing to worry about. i now have 50k + miles with this setup and the motor is still going strong, tranny is a different story... Sure the intercooled version is better, but for a budget setup, you cant beat this deal.

i would def. recommend getting some tunes from Troyer, you will see hp gains, but also the overall driveability and fun factor of the truck will be greatly improved.

oh and make sure you get the newer colder plugs in the kit. i know when this kit first came out, it had you using the stock plugs, and then later changed to the 1 step colder plugs.

as far a the intercooler, i just cant see spending 2k+ on the upgrade kit. maybe if im loaded and doing a engine teardown down the road, i might consider it. i am considering a water/methanol kit to lower the intake temps, and maybe a +2lb pulley to get me near where the I/C steup is. im not sure if that pus me past the limits of the stock injectors, but i will be looking into it soon.

anyway congrats again and get pics and video ASAP!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:19 PM

I tore into the motor last night

she is at full dress down. working on the new intake and the s/c itself right now. I'll get the motor dressed back out this evening

this is actually a very easy install. I was expecting alot more effort. sucks, because I have to wait until Tuesday (most likely) to get my PCM back from Roush...guess I'll just spend alot of time cleaning and making things shiny under there

btw, some freakin' rats had made a nest in the valley below the upper intake. the little bastards tore my hood insulation out and packed it into that valley

Old 10-14-2008, 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by Tylus
I tore into the motor last night

she is at full dress down. working on the new intake and the s/c itself right now. I'll get the motor dressed back out this evening

this is actually a very easy install. I was expecting alot more effort.
Yea i found that it was a easy install should get some pics up!!!

Originally Posted by Tylus
btw, some freakin' rats had made a nest in the valley below the upper intake. the little bastards tore my hood insulation out and packed it into that valley
Yikes that sucks!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:12 AM

pics are up on my photobucket...I've still got alot more to upload first though

Quick Reply: Soon To Be FI with my 5.4