Soon To Be FI with my 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Soon To Be FI with my 5.4

Hi, I'm dropping the $$$ on an order on the Roush Non-Intercooled Supercharger for the 04-06 F-150 5.4 3v.

RoushCharger Part #R07000001

I'm getting it for essentially $2,500 shipped.

Just wondering about any pitfalls to watch out for?

And what are some easy and cheap ways to squeeze a few more ponies?
I know I can go with a Intercooled setup...but that's more $$$ than I've got right now...later it will come
I'm also wondering about raising the boost to 8-9 psi from the stock 6 psi and then custom tuning.
I already have a Dual Exhaust that's going to get modified with true duals and an X pipe.

Thanks guys, and looking forward to joining y'all in here. I got the wife to say yes, so the biggest hurdle is already passed

Old 09-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 08:23 PM

anybody with some HP gain info?

I placed the order today and am waiting on the invoice to pay for it....I can't wait.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Congrats but i wouldnt bolt a blower up to the truck unless it was intercooled. Mine is intercooled and i still see kinda high IAT2.

Wayne

Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I've heard of detonation issues with the high IAT on non-intercooler SCs. The intercooler mod would be my first one followed by a +2 lb pulley and Troyer tunes.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus

I placed the order today and am waiting on the invoice to pay for it....I can't wait.
Yea get the blower ported, and I cant stress get a good tune!!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:37 PM
You mite check with Troyer performance he may be able to get the intercooled intake for you.

Just go with a good tune first with the dual exhaust before upping the boost. once you start to up the boost you will need bigger injectors and that will require a custom tune.

Congrat's

Old 10-01-2008, 09:39 PM

Check with Smok][n. He has a non intercooled setup that has been modded.

Last edited by Huitt24; 10-01-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Z7What
Congrats but i wouldnt bolt a blower up to the truck unless it was intercooled. Mine is intercooled and i still see kinda high IAT2.

Wayne
$2750 shipped to my door

vs.

$6,000+ shipped to my door.

that's why I did it.

I'll gladly pay 1/2 price for 33 fewer HP. I've already been researching Intercoolers and whatnot. I may make my own intercooler setup. from what I (seem to) understand, I'll need to raise the S/C'er PSI by 4psi to actually see about a 2psi increase at the motor itself (lose roughly 2psi through the intercooler)

thanks for the replies. that's twice now I've been nudged towards Mike Troyer. apparently his wife's truck is the Roush Non-Intercooled. So maybe I'll benefit from his tinkering.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand saving some money on the inter-cooler.
But I don't know were your getting the idea of adding 4# to get 2 with an inter-cooler?
On a roots blower the only type of inter-cooler that would help at all is one (AFTER) the blower.
You will not loos any boost with that.

Now,,if you try to rig one that cools the air before the blower..Your just wasting your time and money.
It wont work.

Phil

Old 10-02-2008, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by phil6608
I understand saving some money on the inter-cooler.
But I don't know were your getting the idea of adding 4# to get 2 with an inter-cooler?
On a roots blower the only type of inter-cooler that would help at all is one (AFTER) the blower.
You will not loos any boost with that.

Now,,if you try to rig one that cools the air before the blower..Your just wasting your time and money.
It wont work.

Phil
it's basic heat transfer

the S/C puts out 6 psi. you cool that 6 psi down. the contraction of the air charge will reduce the pressure.

I've been doing some reading and most intercoolers seem to drop the pressure by approximately 2 psi. So what was 6 psi exiting the S/C and entering the intercooler...leaves the intercooler at roughly 4 psi.

to counter this, you bump the pressure leaving the S/C. in this example, you raise it to 8 psi to achieve a 6 psi "cold" air charge from the intercooler and into the intake. obviously I'd need some serious dyno tuning and tweaking. But I think it could work...and probably be a serious power adder.

if you don't believe me, try this.
get a 1 liter coke bottle. fill it with scalding hot water.

let sit in the fridge until ~40 degrees.

notice how it contracts and collapses in on itself? this is the reduction in pressure due to a reduction in temperature.

exact same principle occurs with a s/c and intercooler...just air instead of water as the medium

Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it's basic heat transfer

I've been doing some reading and most intercoolers seem to drop the pressure by approximately 2 psi. So what was 6 psi exiting the S/C and entering the intercooler...leaves the intercooler at roughly 4 psi.

to counter this, you bump the pressure leaving the S/C. in this example, you raise it to 8 psi to achieve a 6 psi "cold" air charge from the intercooler and into the intake.
Depending on the intercooler you may be right. I would think the normal air to air may have more of a problem then the intercoolers that are water to air models whereby the IC is below the blower. The real reason for the IC is that as boost goes up temp goes up which requires timing to go down which makes less power. If you raise boost and lower the air temperature, you can then run more timing.

And I can guarentee that you will not be happy with 6psi. When I started with the Eaton I went 12psi and still wasn't completely happy. Once I built bottom end to handle power immediately pulled 16 psi and now I'm real happy. And this is my daily driver.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Get a Tune as soon as you install it, don't wait! Save the money if you have to but don't bypass this step.
And yes, you'll get greedy and want more! We all do...... So start saving now, you'll be wanting that intercooler and more boost before you know it!

Last edited by derrick929; 10-02-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you might be surprised by your intercooler idea.... it doesnt work like that with this type of supercharger.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:19 PM

if I'm wrong I'm wrong. and then I'll buy the Roush approved intake and intercooler from them.

you never know until you try though

16psi is nuts. I'm looking to keep this truck for a long time in stock(ish) form. She only has 22,000 miles. and at my current rate, it will have less than 30,000 miles in 2011 when I move back to the mainland.

thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Soon To Be FI with my 5.4