adding a centrifugal or turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008 | 06:36 PM
|
Question adding a centrifugal or turbo

what, if any modifications to the engines computer, air/fuel ratio, ignition timing etc have to be made to accompany a centrifugal supercharger or a turbo? i've got a little custom project on my mind & need this info to finish the details of how its gonna work. i won't mention what it is b/c its just crazy.. but if it works i'll let ya'll in on it

Old 11-17-2008 | 08:53 PM
more fuel, less timing, a/f better be no leaner than 12.0... stock engine, 8psi max with a mild tune.

Old 11-18-2008 | 01:01 PM
Truck of the Month

you'll need larger injectors (probably a MAF too) and a better fuel pump at a bare minimum...

I'm afraid to ask what you are trying to do and I am asking 'cause I don't want to see a thread about how you blew your engine

Old 11-18-2008 | 04:16 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by bigred5.0
what, if any modifications to the engines computer, air/fuel ratio, ignition timing etc have to be made to accompany a centrifugal supercharger or a turbo? i've got a little custom project on my mind & need this info to finish the details of how its gonna work. i won't mention what it is b/c its just crazy.. but if it works i'll let ya'll in on it
You need to add more fuel and control timing so as to not cause detonation. There are two ways to add more fuel. Increase the flow or increase the pressure. If you choose to increase the pressure you will need a booster pump as the stock pump will not suffice. If you want to increase the volume you will have to change/increase the size of the injectors and change to a higher volume fuel pump. By far the easiest is to add a boost a pump system in the fuel line. By far the best way is to change the injectors and fuel pump. To control the timing you will need to reprogram the PCM or get a stand alone system. By far the easiest is to reprogram the PCM.

NOTE: You would be better served to contact a competent tuner and discuss your project as he will be privy to your secrets and be better able to advise you.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-20-2008 | 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame

you'll need larger injectors (probably a MAF too) and a better fuel pump at a bare minimum...

I'm afraid to ask what you are trying to do and I am asking 'cause I don't want to see a thread about how you blew your engine
agreed. i really hope your plan works though. when adding a turbo or supercharger a good tune is really important to maximize perofrmance and also keep it safe.

Old 11-20-2008 | 10:47 PM
|
thanks for the help.. its a little more work than i expected (but when isn't it? haha) is there any way i could set the pcm and fuel to run two different settings via a switch or something else within the cab? as for the tuning my girlfriend's father races NMRO (if any of you are familiar with that 4x4 mud drags) and he knows atleast 2 people with tuning equipment/experience but i'm not going to bring it up until i have all the odds & ends figured out

Old 11-20-2008 | 10:52 PM
no not by a switch. but different tunes in an xcal II, yes.

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:19 AM
JMC
There is such a thing as a 4 bank chip that has a switch. Contact any SCT dealer.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-21-2008 | 08:34 AM
I thought those only worked on diesels?

Old 11-21-2008 | 09:15 AM
JMC
I have used one for years. It holds 4 different tunes. I only recently switched to an Xcal 2 becasue my tuner set it up that way. Personally I prefer the switch. Just turn the **** and my tune is changed.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-22-2008 | 04:18 PM
|
the multiple bank chip was what i had in mind.. i know it will control the pcm but will it also control the fuel?

Old 11-24-2008 | 02:05 AM
JMC
In my case the PCM controls the fuel so yes it could.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: adding a centrifugal or turbo