Slight pinging with all tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009 | 08:27 PM
Is your truck your daily driver? If not, while waiting on the tunes, you could sent off your fuel injectors and have them tested. I think Huitt24 had his tested. Maybe he can tell you where to get it done. I will probably do mine just for the hell of it this summer. They seem to be at fault most of the time something goes wrong with these supercharged engines.

Old 01-14-2009 | 11:27 PM
|
Originally Posted by Huitt24
Does your truck ping with the stock Roush tune? if so nothing troyer does will fix it because it will be a mechanical issue.

I think it may have but I don't remember for sure

Also $175 for new tunes when I read about others getting re tuned for free?

Old 01-15-2009 | 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by inurok
I think it may have but I don't remember for sure

Also $175 for new tunes when I read about others getting re tuned for free?
Try putting in your stock Roush tune and see if it pings.

When did you get your tunes from troyer? did you ever datalog and send them the info. Also who are you talking to at troyer?

Old 01-15-2009 | 06:44 PM
|
Originally Posted by Huitt24
Try putting in your stock Roush tune and see if it pings.

When did you get your tunes from troyer? did you ever datalog and send them the info. Also who are you talking to at troyer?
I asked how to data log but nobody responded? I did not try the stock tune yet. I am going to run thru this tank of exxon and fill up with Sunoco as well as add some fuel injector cleaner to the tank and see how that works out.

Also anyone notice how slow it takes the troyer unit to load a custom tune. My old edge unit took seconds but the troyer takes minutes?

Old 01-20-2009 | 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Hello inurok (Chris T),

I just wanted to put up a quick short post to say that I enjoyed speaking with you again today, and having the ability to really go over all of this in proper detail.

The issue for starters with this gentleman (who is a great guy that I spent a couple of hours with on the phone today) is the leaning out of the engine due to the use of 10% ethanol fuels that are now in his area and were not at the time we originally tuned him We'll be making that adjustment as well as some others as we spoke about.

And just a quick FYI, owners of 3V engines (whether they are 4.6, 5.4 or even the 6.8 V-10's, in other words, all 3-valve Ford modular motors) CANNOT use TR-6 spark plugs - they won't fit, nor would they be appropriate. The 3-valve motors take a special spark plug that works *only* in the 3-valve motors, and there are several variants at that - for those who want proper advice on spark plugs for these 3-valve motors, please feel free to call us or shoot us an email.

Thanks again for your time Chris, I had fun sharing some of our common interests!

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:26 PM
|
Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor
Hello inurok (Chris T),

I just wanted to put up a quick short post to say that I enjoyed speaking with you again today, and having the ability to really go over all of this in proper detail.

The issue for starters with this gentleman (who is a great guy that I spent a couple of hours with on the phone today) is the leaning out of the engine due to the use of 10% ethanol fuels that are now in his area and were not at the time we originally tuned him We'll be making that adjustment as well as some others as we spoke about.

And just a quick FYI, owners of 3V engines (whether they are 4.6, 5.4 or even the 6.8 V-10's, in other words, all 3-valve Ford modular motors) CANNOT use TR-6 spark plugs - they won't fit, nor would they be appropriate. The 3-valve motors take a special spark plug that works *only* in the 3-valve motors, and there are several variants at that - for those who want proper advice on spark plugs for these 3-valve motors, please feel free to call us or shoot us an email.

Thanks again for your time Chris, I had fun sharing some of our common interests!
Same here it was a pleasure speaking to you on the phone today and thanks for all your suggestions and advice. You are a real stand up guy and you have my business for life.

I will keep you updated on how things go in the next few weeks.

Old 02-09-2009 | 02:57 PM
|
Well, my pinging has vanished....thanks to Mike Troyer!!! I loaded my new updated tunes and shifts are smoother and the pinging has stopped.

Mike attributed my pinging to the 10% ethanol blend in the fuels here and he was right because the pinging stopped after getting updated tunes to compensate for the 10% blended gasoline.

Thanks Again!!

Chris

Old 02-09-2009 | 03:11 PM
did he still charge you ??

Old 02-09-2009 | 11:24 PM
|
Originally Posted by 01lightningsuper
did he still charge you ??

Yes but after spending over 2 hours on the phone explaining things to me it was worth it.

Old 02-10-2009 | 03:13 PM
This is a bit of a thread hi-jack, but I'm not sure where to ask.

My question is, can you run a Rousch and still run reg 87 fuel?

Reason for this is I live at a higher altitude, but work down at a lower altitude. Performance drops in the mountains, and I'm wondering if a supercharger would give that back without having to run the premo fuel.

Old 02-10-2009 | 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by inurok
Yes but after spending over 2 hours on the phone explaining things to me it was worth it.

I know what u mean If we could get that guy off the phone he could write more tunes

If they changed to the 10% after u got your 1st set of tunes I would expect to pay also ...

Old 02-10-2009 | 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by richterscale
This is a bit of a thread hi-jack, but I'm not sure where to ask.

Reason for this is I live at a higher altitude, but work down at a lower altitude. Performance drops in the mountains, and I'm wondering if a supercharger would give that back without having to run the premo fuel.
I'm pretty sure u have to run 93 or better

Old 02-10-2009 | 05:50 PM
glad to see you got your problems fixed i think i seen your truck in town is your gauge pod black?(inurok)

Old 02-13-2009 | 10:29 PM
|
Originally Posted by bluebeast06
glad to see you got your problems fixed i think i seen your truck in town is your gauge pod black?(inurok)
Hey yep I would have waited for a matching pod but I was in a rush to get it installed. Maybe we can meet up sometime

Old 02-13-2009 | 10:31 PM
|
Originally Posted by richterscale

Yes the minimum is 91 but 93 is optimal. Do not run regular in a turbo or supercharged vehicle.

Quick Reply: Slight pinging with all tunes?