supercharged 4.6l

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009 | 02:17 AM
|
supercharged 4.6l

I want to supercharge my truck but I am not to big a fan of the one that mounts of the front of the engine.

I was wandering if anybody has heard of a roots style blower for the 4.6l engine

also even though I have a 97 I am thinking of doing that whole switching to the PI heads deal

Old 02-06-2009 | 02:35 AM
Truck of the Month
nope, no has heard of the allen engineering eaton M-90 kit

Troyer used to carry them

also Kennebell used to make a non intercooled kit for the F-150's

since both are no longer offered new and you'll have to find a used one someplace or you'll have to modify a 4.6 2 valve mustang kit

the PI head swap is not going to be good with big boost but as long as you're under 8# you should be fine with fuel mods and a good tune

I got to commend you for knowing what you want

Old 02-06-2009 | 04:58 AM
|
Another question that popped into my head if I am to buy said supercharger adn I have done the PI head thing do I need to look for one for a 99+ ford or would one from any '97-'03 work

Old 02-06-2009 | 05:16 AM
Truck of the Month
that's a good question; but I don't know how to answer it I do know that the intake ports are shaped differently so before I bought anything I'd get pictures of the intake ports on the supercharger

sorry I can't answer that question

Old 02-06-2009 | 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Stephen87
Another question that popped into my head if I am to buy said supercharger adn I have done the PI head thing do I need to look for one for a 99+ ford or would one from any '97-'03 work
If you can find a used KB kit,,they bolt on to the stock manifold.
The kit I had would fit 4.6 or 5.4. I had it on a PI 5.4

If you can find a used Allen kit,,you will need to find one for a 4.6
They do come with an intake-manifold and will not interchange between the 4.6 or 5.4
They were not PI or non PI specific.
The one I had on my PI 5.4 had round ports so it would work on PI or non PI.

Top view

Phil

Looking at the underside of the kit.

Old 02-06-2009 | 01:40 PM
This is just a thought but before i put PI heads on a 97 4.6 i would find a low mile PI 5.4 and do the swap. I dont know what you would have in getting a shop to change your heads to the PI's but i wouldnt think it would be cheep. Just a thought.

Old 02-06-2009 | 07:17 PM
|
well I do most of my own work, so I probably would not take it to a shop, seeing as most charge around 300-400ish a side, and just do it myself. my other thought was to buy a used 5.4 exc supercharger and rebuild it my self(leaving my 4.6 in my truck so I can drive it) then when I am done put it in my truck to make sure everything runs, then I can buy a kenne belle supercharger and slap that puppy on it, my only problem is that my current transmission, a m5od, will not hold that kind of power so I am going to need to find a way to make it stronger or find a way to fit a zf6 transmission from a 2002ish f250 (gas) truck into my truck the only problem with that is I do not know the exact dimensions so I cant compare it with the space I have to see if it will fit

another thing I thought about is would a kenne belle supercahrger for a 99+ mustang with a 4.6 engine fit the 4.6 f150 97 block with PI heads

Last edited by Stephen87; 02-06-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2009 | 05:34 AM
Truck of the Month
yes the mustang supercharger kit would bolt onto your engine, but then there's the wiring mods as the mustang harness is a bit different than the truck and youo' have to modify the intake tube but it wouldn't be too bad

JMC has a procharged 5.4 with the same trans you have and he's been talking a ZF 6 speed swap, but the transfer case would probably have to come too along with the new drive shafts

Old 02-07-2009 | 01:14 PM
|
Yea I had thought about those two also and would probably buy the trans and the transfer case from a junkyard and then the two drive shafts, assuming mine dont fit, I would probably just buy brand new from the dealer just to be sure I dont buy a bent one, or one that is off balance.

Old 02-07-2009 | 01:25 PM
Truck of the Month
that is if you can get drive shafts the same lengths as you'll need, there are area's you aren't even thinking about when you are talking about this swap

is your truck equiped with the electronic shift on the fly? or is it manualy shifted?

is your T-case married or an in/out deal? where is your speed sensor? in the axle or trans? what superduty years are compatible wihtn your electronics?

I'm not trying to turn you off the project but I am trying to make sure you take it all into account before you go making plans and buying parts that may or may not work

Old 02-07-2009 | 04:55 PM
|
my truck is manually shifted speed sensor I think is on the trans and the only thing I do not get out of your post is the whole t-case married or in/out deal what does that mean

I am putting thought into this and as far as the electronics go I am assuming that a tune would be able to fix it for the most part. and based of off some pictures I have seen of this transmission next to the one that I have it just looks like a bigger beefier version that I know will mate up with the engine(I talked to someone who did it on a bronco, not sure of the engine but I know that his original transmission was a M5OD)
the other thing I am trying to find out from the company is measurments such as height length width and such so I can see if the 3inch body lift I put on my truck gave me room in the tunnel to fit it.

the other option is to see if I can find a way to strengthen the current transmission to hold that power since I know that the weak point is in the input shaft.

Old 02-08-2009 | 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by phil6608
If you can find a used KB kit,,they bolt on to the stock manifold.
The kit I had would fit 4.6 or 5.4. I had it on a PI 5.4

If you can find a used Allen kit,,you will need to find one for a 4.6
They do come with an intake-manifold and will not interchange between the 4.6 or 5.4
They were not PI or non PI specific.
The one I had on my PI 5.4 had round ports so it would work on PI or non PI.

Top view

Phil

Looking at the underside of the kit.
I have a allen kit i am building and on the left side of this one posted there is a sensor and a small hose nipple does anyone know what these are for?

Old 02-09-2009 | 03:53 PM
Does anyone know?

Old 02-09-2009 | 04:16 PM
The sensor is for the IAT. My Magnacharger/Allen used the stock one in the intake but I moved to where you see it in the pics above when I up graded to a 90mm MAF and 42 #'s and diched the FMU ......

I think I read the fitting goes up to the throttle body on some years I will look at my instuctions when i get home....

How's your project going

Old 02-10-2009 | 12:55 AM
Thanks for the reply man! My project is going allot better now. I had to get some 1 inch spacers made to extend the runners from my s/c manifold because the 5.4L runners are shorter than the 4.6L's. then i had some 1 inch tabs welded onto the stock 5.4L fuel rail and money its all good to go. So now i got all that out of the way it droped in perfect and im just tying up all my loose ends now.

Quick Reply: supercharged 4.6l