Roushcharger/Troyer

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 PM
MDK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roushcharger/Troyer

I live about 4-5 hrs from Troyer performance and with the new 08 5.4l I'm looking into doing some basic mods with dyno tune just to get a real custom tune along with a stock dyno graph to see how much a exhuast and intake will add. Then I saw the Roushcharger stage4 which is nice but the wife is concerned. I've emailed Troyer and asked them a few questions which they've been real helpful with but the wife is still asking questions. I know gas mileage determines how much you got your foot into it but does anybody have any #'s? You can't loose that much just adding the charger right but we are thinking how it would affect state to state trips. Thanks for any info and it's going to be hard talking the wife into this one after we paid off all the credit cards.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by MDK
I live about 4-5 hrs from Troyer performance and with the new 08 5.4l I'm looking into doing some basic mods with dyno tune just to get a real custom tune along with a stock dyno graph to see how much a exhuast and intake will add. Then I saw the Roushcharger stage4 which is nice but the wife is concerned. I've emailed Troyer and asked them a few questions which they've been real helpful with but the wife is still asking questions. I know gas mileage determines how much you got your foot into it but does anybody have any #'s? You can't loose that much just adding the charger right but we are thinking how it would affect state to state trips. Thanks for any info and it's going to be hard talking the wife into this one after we paid off all the credit cards.
I get 20mpg all day on the hwy, its worth the ride there Mike and the girls and guys there are great people and after you go there you know it will be tuned/done right I have been there at least 4 times.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 PM
MDK
Sounds good. You mind me asking what you had done and a rough walk out price? I've been talking to Neil there and he seems cool so far.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by MDK
Sounds good. You mind me asking what you had done and a rough walk out price? I've been talking to Neil there and he seems cool so far.
I have about 10K in my truck most of it under the hood, we cant post price here but every performance mod I have came from them, all but the exhaust and and e-fans.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
If I was 4 to 5 hours from Mike, I'd definitely go to his shop and have him dyno tune my truck. However, his custom mail order tunes has done just fine for me.

In regards to gas mileage, I get around 13.5 in the city and 17.5 (max) on the highway. The faster I go, the lower that number goes. I have 4.10 gears and 32.2" tires/wheels that weigh about the same as the OEM 20" wheels with AT tires.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:13 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It is fact that if you add a supercharger and hammer it your mileage will decrease. If you want to justify a blower you will need to get creative. The by-product of a tune is increased performance. It is usually accompanied by an increase in mileage per gallon. Out of boost all you need to account for is the parasitic loss from spinning the blower. I suspect that in most cases the tune gives you enough of an increase in MPG to offset the loss from spinning the blower. Worst case you should come out dead even for MPG when you aren't in boost.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be a trip well spent.
Forced air induction has its advantages, and disadvantages depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
Including my '04 Supercrew I have had threee forced air inducted vehicles and all have been tuned by Mike Troyer. My Lightning was making around 485-490 HP and I was able to attain 18mpg with it on the highway, my '03 Cobra was making right at 475HP and got a whopping 25-26mpg on the highway, and my 6000 lb. + 4x4 Supercrew running 35" tires gets 17-18 mpg. mixed.
The only downfall, if you can call it that is your tendancy of not being able to keep your foot out of the throttle in the beginning. But that will pass after a while.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
The only downfall, if you can call it that is your tendancy of not being able to keep your foot out of the throttle in the beginning. But that will pass after a while.
It hasnt passed for me cant keep the foot out of it and I still want more

I drive very spirited all the time and I get between 11.5 -12.5 city and about 17 hwy max if I keep at 2k RPM's but I have 4.30 gears and 32" tall tires. If I lived that close to Troyers they would get sick of seeing me..

PS. my wife bought my SC for me for our anniversary

Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Huitt24
It hasnt passed for me cant keep the foot out of it and I still want more

I drive very spirited all the time and I get between 11.5 -12.5 city and about 17 hwy max if I keep at 2k RPM's but I have 4.30 gears and 32" tall tires. If I lived that close to Troyers they would get sick of seeing me..

PS. my wife bought my SC for me for our anniversary
Now that is what I call true love.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:57 AM
MDK
Thanks for all the input guys, the wife seems to be getting warmer to the fact and all I'm going for is just their stock boost which is 7lbs I believe. The stage 4 kit has caught my eye since it has everything you need but I could pass on the exhaust. Still waiting for a reply but I told her even if it doesn't happen now it's going to happen eventually, I said it in a very loving manner though, ha! The only thing I have to justify now is the 93 octane experience...

Old 03-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just tell her it's only about 5 bucks extra per fill up.

I haven't done any highway gas mileage checking,,,but I only get 5 MPG in town!
I have a very heavy foot!!!!

Phil

Old 03-21-2009, 08:40 AM
havent read to see what the stage 4 kit is and out of respect you never ask for a price over the net. troyer did my truck and I have no idea of the cost all i know is well worth it. i hear about matt jones truck everytime i go there i think its their madonna truck lol. i get about 14 in town and about 20 cruising down the highway at 70. i still run the stock gears 3.73 and factory tires for the road on 22's i get around 17.6-18.3. the aftermarket wheels and tires really weigh the truck down rotationally. my blower is ported and i am running an upgraded pulley so my boost is at 10lbs. you have to think when you start stomping a engine that is being force fed with 39lb injectors the gas goes quickly. everyday driving, the way i drive people don't even know my truck is supercharged unless the see the gauges on the pillar and read what they are for most think its just a light show. true story i drove the truck for 2 weeks and never once went more than -5 vac on the boost gauge. sometimes I fogret i'm in a supercharged truck. you can have your truck supercharged and never know it until you get deep in the gas. my wife drives mine all the time. when i first got it back i was taking it easy with the truck and then she drove it and asked what did i spend all the money for. told her to hit it. she nailed it spinning through the intersection and before you knew it were running 70 in a 45 and she's putting on brakes smiling on how she likes it. i have driven the truck very few times because she stays gone in it. 10,000 miles with the blower and no problems plus mike and his wife loves joking with mine since she is a hot rodder by nature lol. she will race anything from her bike, to car, to truck and foot if she thinks she's going to win.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 AM
MDK
My bad on the price I guess, didn't think it was a big deal since there's prices flying around for everything, unless he gave someone half off cause they're related I didn't think it would make a difference, I was more or less trying to found out a walk out price was but I would hope you knew what they were charging you, lol, just kidding. Stage 4 kit costs about $6500 I think and has everything you could want or need to have it work. I'm sure the wife would love it she just doesn't know it yet. Glad to hear Mike as a good reputation.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=dirtyo2000;3645208] i hear about matt jones truck everytime i go there i think its their madonna truck lol.QUOTE]

What can I say they know me lol

Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I have the Roush S/C on my 2008 SCrew - 22 inch wheels, SIDO exhaust, 3.73 limited slip diff.

If I summon the resolve to drive 60 mph, I can get 21-22 mpg on the highway. However, that's just no fun. With my typical unrestrained interstate driving, I get 13-14 mpg. I don't even check city milage. Just fill it up and go.

The real differentiating factor is not so much the mpg, it's the fact that you MUST use super unleaded once you are supercharged. No more regular. Around here, using premium costs approx 25¢ per gallon more than regular. Average fill up for me is 20 gallons, so that's an extra $5.00. Peanuts for the fun I get driving a supercharged F-150.

CW