maf and fuel questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maf and fuel questions

thinking about fabbing up a rear mount turbo kit (not sts, making my own). ive done this once with my mustang (not a rear mount kit)

so anyways, i know the foxes inside and out but not so much my f150. the fabrication will be easy and the turbo parts will no too pricey but im wondering about the maf, fuel injectors and fuel pump. what does sts run for injectors and fuel pump? and do they just use the stock sensor and then dyno tune it and program the computer to dump fuel at the right rpm? i ask because the stock maf is draw through, on my stang, i had to buy a blow through maf which handled a lot of the fuel mapping on its own. as far as mods now that will be resuable on the turbo kit i have, jba headers, efans, u/d pulleys and a magnaflow catback. the plan is to put the turbo where the stock exhaust merges, then run a pipe from the turbo outlet into my magnaflow muffler and the back as it does now.

i have a 07, 4.6l motor. just looking for about 100-150 more hp

Old 03-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
if you have the slot style sensor (like the 3 valve trucks have) then VMP sells a flange you weld into your piping and you can use that if not get one from a wrecked truck or re use your onld blow thru

go to a 325 or 255 lph in-tank fuel pump, 42# or 39# injectos and you should be good to go

Old 03-24-2009, 01:41 PM
what size turbo would you recommend? i dont want a ton of power maybe 350-400rwhp, i would rather have the hp come in at low rpms. also, the intank pumps, do they make bold in kits like they do with the mustangs or do i have to buy a pump from another truck?

so your saying you just use the stock maf sensor as a blow through and tune around it?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
what size turbo would you recommend? i dont want a ton of power maybe 350-400rwhp, i would rather have the hp come in at low rpms. also, the intank pumps, do they make bold in kits like they do with the mustangs or do i have to buy a pump from another truck?

so your saying you just use the stock maf sensor as a blow through and tune around it?
Here's the flanges:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...parent=31&pg=1

I don't think your stock air meter could be used , particularly in a blow through set up which requires greater electronic capactiy. The fuel pump should be an easy swap with a 255 lph.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:02 AM

NO, use a 3 valve stock MAF, you have the old style

Old 03-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
NO, use a 3 valve stock MAF, you have the old style
oh i see. same year as my truck (04+)?

with the mustangs, the maf is tuned for the injectors, i assume thats not the case with these trucks correct? because the 3v's didnt have 39 or 42# injectors. the dyno tuner would take care of the fact the maf is used as a blow through and not matched to the injectors?

and what are you doing with the pcv system?

Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 PM

oh i see. same year as my truck (04+)?

with the mustangs, the maf is tuned for the injectors, i assume thats not the case with these trucks correct? because the 3v's didnt have 39 or 42# injectors. the dyno tuner would take care of the fact the maf is used as a blow through and not matched to the injectors?

and what are you doing with the pcv system?

yes, as far as I know it's in the tune on these trucks as far as the MAF and injectors. VMP offers the weld in flanges and the wiring adapter so the slot style MAf would be a plug-n-play deal other than the tune

I'm running my stock PCV system and an oil seperator

Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Whenever you do this, take lots of pics. and where you got your parts and what they are. I have an 07 4.6 and would love to do something like this.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM
i have a slotted maf now. is the reason for getting a slotted maf from a 3v because the motor is bigger therefor the maf can handle more cfm flow?

those flanges in the link from vmp, are they necessary or can i just make my own and weld it to a piece of pipe? $45-$50 for something that seems nothing more then a piece of metal with a slot in the middle and a couple holes tapped seems pricey.

as far as a time frame is concerned, i will defenitely take pics but it wont get done for a while (within a year i hope). the fabrication will take a matter of days, i just need to learn about the the tuning and such on these new trucks. money is an issue as well. the mustang needs new tires, its amazing how fast you go through tires when you have a lot of torque

Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Yes I understand how money is. How much are you guessing that it will cost?
Do you think it will be a whole lot cheaper/worth the time instead of the sts system

Old 03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by jswd60
Yes I understand how money is. How much are you guessing that it will cost?
Do you think it will be a whole lot cheaper/worth the time instead of the sts system
does sts include the fuel upgrades? my guess is itll cost a lot less then the sts kit. i know i can do the hotside for $50, the cold side should be about $300-$350 with ebay intercooler. so all the piping will set me back $400 or less. its just a matter of picking a turbo, the fuel upgrades and the oil return pump. havent shopped for those items yet.

im sure youve been under your truck....i have the magnaflow catback now, i plan to pull out the stock pipe that runs between the factory merge pipe and the catback and put the turbo there. then just plumb the turbo to the catback thats why the hotside will be so cheap

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 03-25-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
From what I have read here you can go to STS and have everything done and installed for 5000 including tune.
May be wrong.

Yes I have been under many times when I put my headers on, and the one thing I dont like about a turbo is the fact that you have to have single exhaust
but no supercharger for 07 4.6 so turbo is only option.
Keep me updated, Im in no hurry kind of thinking of starting in a year or so, but want to get some ideas.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by jswd60
but no supercharger for 07 4.6 so turbo is only option.
that's a sad sad untrue statement... I'll send you a PM regarding the supserchargerS that will bolt onto your truck and I've seen turbo trucks with dual exhaust

luckythirteen13 the $5000 sts price was so they could a truck into the shop so they could test it on something normally the STS kit doesn't include the fuel mods

you can make the flanges yourself since you seem to be good with a welder and fabrication

Old 03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
that's a sad sad untrue statement... I'll send you a PM regarding the supserchargerS that will bolt onto your truck and I've seen turbo trucks with dual exhaust

luckythirteen13 the $5000 sts price was so they could a truck into the shop so they could test it on something normally the STS kit doesn't include the fuel mods

you can make the flanges yourself since you seem to be good with a welder and fabrication
ok cool.

sts is in FL and im in CA so there is no way im going there

just one last thing, is the reason for buying a 3v maf just because it has higher flow capacity? or is it because its slot style which i already have?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 PM

ok cool.

sts is in FL and im in CA so there is no way im going there

just one last thing, is the reason for buying a 3v maf just because it has higher flow capacity? or is it because its slot style which i already have?

your trucks stocker is not compatable as blow thru double check since your aftermarket may not be compatable with your ecm but if it is go with what you have.

sts is in utah

Quick Reply: maf and fuel questions