Bigger Air Filter for Procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigger Air Filter for Procharger?

I'm wanting to upgrade to a larger filter over the one that Procharger supplies in the kit. This is for a 99-03' style F-150 Procharger kit btw.

I took some measurements of the current filter. It has a 4" diameter flange. It is about 6.5" long, 5.4" diameter at the base (big end), and 4.5" diameter at the top (small end). Here is the best pic I have of it:

I want a bigger filter like in this pic here, but I have no idea what the dimensions of it are, so I can't order it. I'd like to get an S&B filter preferably, since they have the "open" filter tops. I think this may be a member's truck on here...I saved it a while back, but it may have been a member from the old Gotpressure.com site.

Anyone know who this member is or have any info on how big of an airfilter I can fit?

Thanks!

Last edited by NacsMXer; 04-10-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: pic too big
Old 04-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
it's hard with the ATI inlet tube, if you had the MAD's intake duct it'd be easier

Old 04-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah, those are really hard to come by nowadays. Are you running the factory ATI filter tarajerame?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM

nope, I'm running a huge K&N on the original MAD's intake

Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Lucky you, hahaha

I think I may have found the bigger S&B filter i'm looking for like in the second pic. It is about an inch shorter in length but is also over a full inch larger in diameter at both the top and the bottom. Plus it has the open top for added airflow. The whole unit comes out to be about the same length as the K&N in the first pic since the K&N has a 3/4" long flange and the S&B has a 1 3/4" flange (look at the 2nd pic by the hose clamp, notice it's longer). I THINK I may have found the right one, worst case scenario is I send it back to S&B.

I might put an Outerwears on it too like in the pic to shield the filter from belt dust and other crap that gets clogged in the pleats. Just hope it won't alter the "peak" airflow of the filter. I run Outerwears on the filters of my ATV's etc. but never on a supercharged vehicle before. Any thoughts??

Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.paxtonauto.com/downloads.html I think this is interesting, open the V10 pdf and scroll down to 4-1.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
http://www.paxtonauto.com/downloads.html I think this is interesting, open the V10 pdf and scroll down to 4-1.
I looked at that, what are you referring to? The flex tubing?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NacsMXer
I looked at that, what are you referring to? The flex tubing?
The elbow is rotated underneath the s/c. Possibly another way to find more space for an air filter.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
The elbow is rotated underneath the s/c. Possibly another way to find more space for an air filter.
I dunno about you guys, but I have almost no room under my procharger. Regardless though, I'm not seeing why anyone would want to use a larger filter.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chris123NT
I'm not seeing why anyone would want to use a larger filter.

more volume, less restriction on the inlet side = better performance

Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame

more volume, less restriction on the inlet side = better performance
Exactly, according to Crash!, these blowers are a lot more sensitive to inlet restrictions. Being that I have the crappy ATI bypass coupler on my intake elbow and no MAD intake in sight, i'll take all the flow I can fit in there.

I have my new S&B filter ordered up. I'll post the results of the fitment when I receive it.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:21 PM
I got the new S&B filter. It's not substantially bigger, but overall it is bigger, and fits like a glove. Every other S&B size combination would have been too long, so this is the biggest I can fit in there with the room I have. My only gripe is that S&B uses really long flanges, I would have preferred that extra space to be filter media but no free lunch. It is S&B part # R1162 if anyone's interested.

Here is the Procharger K&N filter next to the new S&B filter. The new filter is exactly 1 inch shorter in the length of the filter media, but that is the only dimension that the new filter is smaller in.

The filter media on the S&B is over an inch larger in diameter at the base.

About an inch larger overall in diameter at the top of the filter...plus the "open element" end cap which the Procharger filter lacks. The more flow the better..

Here are some pics of it installed, it couldn't fit any better.

Last edited by NacsMXer; 04-23-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 PM
take out that water jug and get more room. can u post more pics of ur intercooler setup. thanks

Old 04-24-2009, 01:51 AM

how's it change the driveability????

I've got to get my intake ducting back in motion since Mike isn't making the MAD's intake anymore and the people that have 'em won't part with 'em

Old 04-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by mike86ttype
take out that water jug and get more room. can u post more pics of ur intercooler setup. thanks
I could do that, but I really don't feel like changing the stock setup. My trucks in the shop right now getting some exhaust work done, i'll try to get some pics of the intercooler when I can. It's just the stock ATI 2 core setup.

Originally Posted by tarajerame
how's it change the driveability????

I've got to get my intake ducting back in motion since Mike isn't making the MAD's intake anymore and the people that have 'em won't part with 'em
I haven't driven with it just yet, I just installed it to make sure it fit ok. I'm going to put the new filter on just before I get my new dyno tune this summer. Mods since the last dyno tune include ditching my stock leaking manifolds for JBA headers, going to a true dual exhaust with X-pipe (happening as I type this), going to relocate the IAT sensor to in front of the TB where it rightfully belongs, putting this bigger S&B filter on, and adding a MAFia for added insurance. I'm hoping all these little mods combined will net me a few more ponies since my last dyno tune. I'll definitely post back here about the driveability when I can!

Quick Reply: Bigger Air Filter for Procharger?