what guages are a must?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
OKI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justjames80
45 - 60 seconds only above 50% TP? Not really very useful. Particularly if you need to datalog transients that occur well below 50% TP for street tuning. The Innovate setup allows for around 44 minutes and hundreds of logs until the memory is used up. Use a DL-32 and you can run even longer on flash memory chips. I have datalogs more than 20 minutes long on my truck when testing new stuff or establishing baselines.
I can't find where it says anywhere that it stops data logging at 60 seconds...only 60+....so if that means 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, etc.. Someone else is going to have to chime in....I assume that it means minimum 45-60 seconds and goes beyond 60.

For me, I only needed 13.5-14.5 seconds before and now that I am going built, only need 11-12 seconds of data logging for the Track....10.9 if I am lucky.

Yea, 50% TP seems like a lot, but if you have to use less than 50% racing someone on the street, IMO, then you just did nothing but waiste gas and need to stop lining up against those highschool kids and thier ricers

Like you said...testing new stuff or establishing base lines for more serious stuff, than just logging "some" data. You need a good 15-20minutes, so get the computer program, your laptop, and the connectors needed.

For me, I wish I had this installed prior to my motor going boom, as my A/F read a constant 11.2 when I was running...or so I think A 60 second data log of that run on the street would have told me if she spiked upon the shift from 3rd to 4th, and I just didn't see it.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by OKI
I can't find where it says anywhere that it stops data logging at 60 seconds...only 60+....so if that means 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, etc.. Someone else is going to have to chime in....I assume that it means minimum 45-60 seconds and goes beyond 60.
I think it's pretty indicative that it doesn't hold much data. Might get a little over 60 seconds by selecting only one parameter but it's certainly not much time.

Originally Posted by OKI
For me, I only needed 13.5-14.5 seconds before and now that I am going built, only need 11-12 seconds of data logging for the Track....10.9 if I am lucky.

My friend has an 8-second Mustang and his datalogs are usually a minute and a half or so. Not good to try starting a datalog timer while getting staged. I wouldn't be risking a built engine to a small time gauge like that at all.

Originally Posted by OKI
Yea, 50% TP seems like a lot, but if you have to use less than 50% racing someone on the street, IMO, then you just did nothing but waiste gas and need to stop lining up against those highschool kids and thier ricers
And if something goes wrong and you toast a motor and can't figure out why because you didn't reach that threshold value...

Yeah, I don't race highschool kids but I do like to know ALL of what my engine is doing...

Originally Posted by OKI
Like you said...testing new stuff or establishing base lines for more serious stuff, than just logging "some" data. You need a good 15-20minutes, so get the computer program, your laptop, and the connectors needed.
Which is what anyone who is serious about running their engine needs.

Originally Posted by OKI
For me, I wish I had this installed prior to my motor going boom, as my A/F read a constant 11.2 when I was running...or so I think A 60 second data log of that run on the street would have told me if she spiked upon the shift from 3rd to 4th, and I just didn't see it.

Spikes don't kill motors. Trends do. Yeah it would have spiked because the computer de-fuels between shifts. I can show you one of my own datalogs showing my AFR spiked 20+ on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. But that is not a problem as the duration is too short.

That gauge is nice but the new SCT stuff datalogs and displays all the same data anyway. Innovates does too. Hell even my OBD2/CAN code reader can log a few minutes of SAE enhanced data. I really can't see much use to that gauge than giving a driver something to look at while waiting in traffic.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:43 PM
ok thanks a lot for all the replies guys but after reading all of this stuff i cant figure out what to buy, i dont plan on doing my own tunes at least not now anyways, so what should i buy to watch whats going on i just liked the idea of this digital guage being able to show so much and not having to fill my cab with guages but if thats what i need to do i will do it

Old 04-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Boost/Vac and Fuel Pressure

Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
OKI
If you are boosting...get a A/F to monitor Lean and Rich

Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 PM
ok what do you guys think of the interceptor guage with their wide band set up? also do you guys prefer the analog guages to physically display whats going on wheather it be oil pressure, fuel pressure or engine temp, compared to the way the digital guages work? if so why or why not thanks.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:06 PM
OKI
Originally Posted by LCTford01
ok what do you guys think of the interceptor guage with their wide band set up?
If you haven't already, read this thread again as myself and another guy had a long talk about the interceptors...

...on that note, I have the dual set up and a separate wideband gauge. As I like to cycle through different ones with the interceptors and would rather have a devoted gauge to A/F

Originally Posted by LCTford01
also do you guys prefer the analog guages to physically display whats going on wheather it be oil pressure, fuel pressure or engine temp, compared to the way the digital guages work? if so why or why not thanks.
This is going to be personal preference...I like my water temp as an analog vs a digitial....A/F as a digital vs a Analog. Also, your budget!!!! The digital gauges can be more expensive...specially the A/F.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Triple gauge cluster kits, like those from autometer gauges usually include a Voltmeter, Water Temp, and Oil Pressure gauge. But aside from these three, I believe a Vacuum gauge and an Air/Fuel Ratio gauge can also be useful.

Last edited by thomatt12; 05-08-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: what guages are a must?