turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo

i was looking to get a turbo for my truck its 04 4.6 and just doesn't have the power i want. a super charger i heard u wont get as much power because the pullys will take power. what all do i have to change on my motor to run a turbo? and how much boost can i run safely on stock internals if any at all. my roommate is really big to the import scene and he said i could prolly run 8psi safely wat do you guys think.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
sure anything is possible with the right amount of time and $$$

obviously you didn't search for this topic so I'll help you out https://www.f150online.com/forums/search.php yes a supercharger will take some power to turn it over but a turbo creates lots of backpressure and heat also "costing" you power, what about your transmission? since the automatic draws more power than a manual why don't you switch transmissions as well????

what size turbo are you looking at running? fuel injectors? intercooler? MAF? tune? tranny? Fuel Pump? Tune?

how do you use your truck? are you willing to run 91-93 octane? what are your plans for your truck?

the guys in the link below offer a pretty good deal installed and they can tune it for a little bit more

https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...installed.html

sure a small turbo @ 8# would be OK if it was intercooled and you had the fuel mods and good tune, like with any forced induction the fuel mods and the TUNE are vital

Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah,,,cant make any power with a supercharger.

Phil

Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's another option.
http://www.ststurbo.com/home

Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 AM
A super charger would probably be the easiest way to go. Getting a turbo truck running good isn't the easiest thing in the world. Trust me. Depending on the condition of your engine, you can run about 8 psi with stock internals. You will need bigger injectors and colder spark plugs. And some patience. I have the STS kit on my truck. It is a good kit, but you have to know what your getting. You wont make boost until around 2500 rpm's. You HAVE to have your truck tuned correctly. You really cant drive the truck in the rain due to the fact that the air filter is exposed under the bed. Its a lot of work but it does pay off. I'm extremely happy with my truck. It a very exclusive club having a turbo F-150 and its always nice to see the look of surprise on peoples face when you blow by them and they hear you BOV. I have been steadily having work done to my truck for almost a year now and I'm very close to having it as fast as I want it.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Ecko: You can get those covers that go over the air filters to keep water out. I saw a guy run a water hose over his air filter with his truck running and it didnt affect it at all.

Mono: Turbos and Centri S/C's are easier on the transmission because it already has a rolling start so the inital "shock" isnt there on the drivetrain. But if you want something easy to set up and alot easier down the road I'd get a S/C. If you want to be more orginal and dont mind the challenge, a turbo would be badass!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:56 AM
I had one of those cover things. Then I drove through a thunder storm going back home to North Carolina. Truck went into limp mode and I had to sit at a truck stop for a couple hours to wait for the rain to stop and dry my filter in the bathroom with the hand dryer.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by eckomaninred
I had one of those cover things. Then I drove through a thunder storm going back home to North Carolina. Truck went into limp mode and I had to sit at a truck stop for a couple hours to wait for the rain to stop and dry my filter in the bathroom with the hand dryer.
thats blows

Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Ecko: You can get those covers that go over the air filters to keep water out. I saw a guy run a water hose over his air filter with his truck running and it didnt affect it at all.

Mono: Turbos and Centri S/C's are easier on the transmission because it already has a rolling start so the inital "shock" isnt there on the drivetrain. But if you want something easy to set up and alot easier down the road I'd get a S/C. If you want to be more orginal and dont mind the challenge, a turbo would be badass!
i need to get one of those covers i guess. i have a open k&n intake now

Old 04-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by monoxide
i need to get one of those covers i guess. i have a open k&n intake now
Unless you have your intake mounted under the bed like Ecko (I really don't know how you would ), you don't need a cover. It's protected in the engine bay

Old 04-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
Unless you have your intake mounted under the bed like Ecko (I really don't know how you would ), you don't need a cover. It's protected in the engine bay
It takes years of specialized training and an Iron Will. I had Chuck Norris put mine there.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 AM
rvm
Originally Posted by eckomaninred
Would there be a problem if you were to plumb the filter back into the engine bay rather than leaving it under the truck?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:55 AM
It would be crowded with another set of piping going up to the engine bay. Plus, I like not having all that under hood heat going into my intake. What I'm going to do is make an air box in the back right corner of my bed with the intake air still coming from underneath (via a hole in the bed) and still get that cool air from out back

Old 05-01-2009, 01:02 AM
rvm
that sounds like a great idea! hope you can post pics once you're done. . . I suppose you don't use a tonneau cover?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 AM
I do have a tonneau, but I still use my bed to move things (it is a truck) and I dont want all the dirt and crap that builds up back there all over the filter. Plus I don't want things rolling around and hitting the filter. So I just gonna get some metal, fab a box with a lid, and have two holes cut in the bed, one for the filter to go through, and the other for air intake. Then coat the whole thing with liner to match the rest of the bed.

Quick Reply: turbo