want to supercharge but have a lot of ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordfenatic09
Well that is a no brainer, if i can get an engine for that much then im just gunna buy it instead of a SC. Where are you at that you can get a full lightning engine for $2200???? And can you put a lightning engine on a manual tranny??
The L motor is just a 2V 5.4 V8. If your 4.6 or 5.4 came with a manual there should be no issue.

Alternatively, anything can be accomplished with enough $$$$

According to the Whipple site they offer a SC swapout for the 03 Ls and HDs as well as a custom intercooler intake (listed seperately). Aside from a tune and other misc parts wouldn't this qualify as a "Kit" for the 03? Personally, if I had to do it over, and the $$ was similar I would definately go with the Whipple, even if it meant some additional upfront leg work.

Last edited by KTrostel; 05-11-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
L's and HD's didn't come with manual tranny's, so you can not use the L/HD ECM. Also, if you did have an L/HD engine and 4R100 tranny, your 5.4 NA frame electrical harness does not support. Would need to be replaced. Supercharger swap does not require new ECM, frame harness, tranny, or dual fuel pumps. Only thing you lose with 5.4 NA ECM is Boost Bypass and IAT 2. Neither critical. Frame harness plugs right into intake harness and all you need for ECM is new tune which has been done by many. Also, an L engine could be plugged into a manual tranny if you use the stock 5.4 NA ECM.

And yes there are turn key non L/HD supercharger kits. The reason for the L/HD swap is that it can be done for less money and if your not going racing has more than enough power/torque.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Well that is a no brainer, if i can get an engine for that much then im just gunna buy it instead of a SC. Where are you at that you can get a full lightning engine for $2200???? And can you put a lightning engine on a manual tranny??
Your tranny will bolt up,but don't expect it to last long with the extra power!
Search ebay for Lightning engines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...4506.m20.l1116

Phil

Old 05-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phil6608
Your tranny will bolt up,but don't expect it to last long with the extra power!
Search ebay for Lightning engines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...4506.m20.l1116

Phil
yeah the tranny issue...i don't plan on going much over 400 hp so i think it should b ok with a clutch upgrade

Old 05-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by CobraKit
L's and HD's didn't come with manual tranny's, so you can not use the L/HD ECM. Also, if you did have an L/HD engine and 4R100 tranny, your 5.4 NA frame electrical harness does not support. Would need to be replaced. Supercharger swap does not require new ECM, frame harness, tranny, or dual fuel pumps. Only thing you lose with 5.4 NA ECM is Boost Bypass and IAT 2. Neither critical. Frame harness plugs right into intake harness and all you need for ECM is new tune which has been done by many. Also, an L engine could be plugged into a manual tranny if you use the stock 5.4 NA ECM.

And yes there are turn key non L/HD supercharger kits. The reason for the L/HD swap is that it can be done for less money and if your not going racing has more than enough power/torque.

well the money issue is why i am considering a l/hd swap. so if i use the stock ecm and wiring harness with a manual tranny all i will need is a tune on my computer?? because if that is the case i think im just gunna do that if i can find an engine for the right price. Also i have a ?? are the lightning/HD engines a 2v or a 3v i have heard both and it is really confusing. thanks for the help.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 PM
yeah the tranny issue...i don't plan on going much over 400 hp so i think it should b ok with a clutch upgrade
Are you talking about 400 crank HP or 400 RWHP?

You can talk to JMC about your manual tranny. I think hes been through about 5 of them!
https://www.f150online.com/forums/members/341-jmc.html

Phil

Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 PM
L/HD engines are 2V. They have the same heads, cams, valves, rods, block. Crank is cast steel and pistons are forged aluminum. Those are the big changes. The pistons are the biggest reason to keep the boost low and the WOT rpm.

Again there were 2 L/HD supercharger "kits" being offered on the classified side under 1999-2003. The L and HD supercharger are the same except for pulley size and paint (03 HD only).

The Eaton is not the best, but for the price and a daily driver, you can not beat it. The torque is awesome.

If you want instruction, send PM with your email and I will send back to you, with pics as well.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 PM
hey what do you guys think of the procharger or vortech kits??

Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
hey what do you guys think of the procharger or vortech kits??
I have a procharger, so does JMC and quite a few others

check my albums

and this https://www.f150online.com/forums/search.php

Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Is the intake assembly from the harley something that you can buy from a company or can you only find them from private owners?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Western07
Is the intake assembly from the harley something that you can buy from a company or can you only find them from private owners?
You can only get them from private owners. No company has or sells them!

Phil

Old 06-11-2009, 05:11 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
just buy a lightning motor w/ the blower already on. i have seem motor tranny ecu's for $2200 in my area that ran. steiny5.4 paid $2800 for his L motor

steiny5.4 (silver2000 on here) also had to rebuild that motor and he has a stock lightning motor for sale now with majority of the parts needed for the swap into a N/A F-150

all in all the swap parts can be purchased for less than 2 grand including a (I just did it, with a ported eaton and upper plenium) but you have to shop around

as far as the harley assembly being less desirable I'm just curious how that is consider the lager upper pulley helps with belt slip and most people run a larger crank pulley anyway so the harley upper has really no negative draw back and if it's that important a stock lightning upper will interchange

Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 AM
You can only get them from private owners. No company has or sells them!

Phil
FORD does, but then you can't afford to pay there price

And yes the only difference is the top pulley and I also went with the larger lower pulley to reduce belt slippage at the top pulley.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by CobraKit
FORD does, but then you can't afford to pay there price
Yeah,, I think they want like 1800 bucks for just the blower.
By the time you get all the parts from Ford,,,it would probably cost close to 10K!!!!!

I have a new 03 Harley intake assembly I'm thinking of selling.If any of you guys are looking,,,send me an email.

Phil

Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Yeah,, I think they want like 1800 bucks for just the blower.
By the time you get all the parts from Ford,,,it would probably cost close to 10K!!!!!

I have a new 03 Harley intake assembly I'm thinking of selling.If any of you guys are looking,,,send me an email.

Phil
If its from an HD it surely can't be as good as an L right

2003 HD is the same except color of blower, plenum and pulley, and the pulley is larger so ~2lb less boost than L pulley.

OBTW I personnally like the looks of the black blower.

Quick Reply: want to supercharge but have a lot of ???'s