Saleen 5.4 3v Supercharger Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Saleen 5.4 3v Supercharger Compatibility

For those that know me, I used to have this

a 2006 F-150 with Non-Intercooled RoushCharger. If we haven't met yet, Howdy

I have since sold that truck and now own a 2008 Expy EL with 5.4 3v. Frankly, I miss the power. I've contemplated using another Roush setup, but the more I read about the Saleen, the more it appeals to me...that, and Roush has been very very uncooperative with me in the past

So I've been researching my options for something similar. I found a Saleen Supercharger Kit for the 2007-2008 Expy. But...
Saleen pulled it from the shelves due to issues with the CARB certs.

They refuse to sell it until they can get the CARB cert done...I could care less about it. I'll never live there, so it's a non-issue in my eyes.

The Expy kit is detuned for only 400 crank HP (4 psi) vice the normal 445 crank HP

I am wanting to explore the possibility of buying a 04-08 F-150 Saleen Supercharger setup, and installing that into my Expy.
I know that I'll need custom tuning, but as far as I know, it should be a direct bolt-up and easy install...and I'd be running 6-8 psi...not a measely 4 psi

Anybody have any thoughts?
or would my money be better spent on just some regular custom tuning + 4.30 gears?

this is the "Family Car", so I cannot go very wild...but I want more

Old 05-20-2009, 04:21 AM

btw, just realized the MAF is in a different place than the 04-08 5.4

the MAF is down by the Driver headlight...so that would be an issue

Old 05-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the factory intake system is different on the F-150 and Expy, so like you said, that will cause a little issue, but I'd go a little different route.

You want the higher boost that the F-150 kit gets, but need the fitment of the Expy kit.

Why not buy the Expy kit and use the snout pulley that comes on the F-150 kit? I'm sure the pulley wouldnt' be too expensive and they are easy to swap and would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to make the entire F-150 kit work.

Unless of course Saleen has another reason for running lower boost on the Expy kit that I'm not aware of, that is the route I would go.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 PM

problem is, Saleen refuses to sell their kit at all. But yeah, the Lightning snout swap would be part of the whole deal. Makes it easier to up the boost, and looks cooler IMO

I've got e-mails out to Whipple, and Roush right now...and I'm about to hit up Ford Racing

I'm pretty sure the lower HP rating is due to my IRS...so I might have to look at upgraded rear axleshafts as well, but that would be later on down the road

hell, I've even been looking for a F-150 Saleen kit. It too appears to have been pulled off the shelves

Quick Reply: Saleen 5.4 3v Supercharger Compatibility