Roush supercharger questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
12lbs from a Saleen/Whipple now.....

I ran for over 3 years with a 12lb pulley, which I had 6lbs pretty much instantly 9lbs by 3500rpm, and slowly went to 12lbs. Hell with my Saleen setup I see at least 6-9 psi nearly every time I leave the stop light at part throttle. Wait I bet I'm supposed to have a built transmission also and only make 300ftlbs of tq, or melt my pistons because I'm still running the stock exhaust manifolds. OMG WHAT TO DO?!?!?!

This truck is my daily BEATER. I BEAT on it, I TOW with it, and I HAUL with it. Regular oil changes? Hell it's lucky if it gets an oil change every 6k miles. Tranny flush? Pan has never been dropped. I Believe it is right at 74kmiles now.

I have fast cars(Heads/cam/bolt/nitrous Viper, Blown 427 92 Coupe, Nitrous H/C/I Stock Bottom End 302 84 GT-350+the many other I have bought and sold over the years), my truck isn't one of them, never will be. So why don't you grow up and listen to people who have been there, done it, and have the t-shirt. Have you ever read of a truck blowing up at 12lbs on a PROPER TUNE? I have been pushing nearly 4 years now with 12lbs of boost 425+rwhp and 450+rwtq.

Hell you said the factory Roush tune is good. That right there takes ANY CREDIBILITY you have away of you knowing WTF you are talking about.
What makes the Roush tune so bad? Please elaborate. The very 1st thing I did when I got the tune was go out a datalog it, all parameters were where they should be, could use a little more timing but that is it. Maybe I am being a little conservative with my 9psi, Roush tuned set-up, like I said, I am not trying to set any records. I don't feel like the tranny would hold up to a lot more power and sure as hell aren't going to pay $600 for an additional 2-3psi of boost (tune). I do listen to people whe have been there, the problem is, so many people on these forums don't know there *** from a hole in the ground. Your opening statements in this thread where childish and resembled those. If you have in fact owned the cars mentioned (and there not your Daddy's) then I could have some respect for you and look to you for information and experience, but you can't handle yourself in a public forum so I don't care to listen/argue/continue talking to you. You do what you feel is right and I will do what I feel is right. I always offer information on the conservative side, that is they way I have always been and always will be. Good day sir.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by mrpositraction
What makes the Roush tune so bad? Please elaborate. The very 1st thing I did when I got the tune was go out a datalog it, all parameters were where they should be, could use a little more timing but that is it.
Just trust us.... Factory tunes(roush/saleen/ford) suck. A lot more left on the table.

Maybe I am being a little conservative with my 9psi, Roush tuned set-up, like I said, I am not trying to set any records. I don't feel like the tranny would hold up to a lot more power and sure as hell aren't going to pay $600 for an additional 2-3psi of boost (tune).
You and just about every other roush guy. Most of the roush guys nut-hug a certain tuner and only do whatever he says. Our trucks are a lot tougher then most people give them credit for. It is all in the TUNE. The TUNE makes difference.

I do listen to people whe have been there, the problem is, so many people on these forums don't know there *** from a hole in the ground.
No kidding.. they just regurgitate whatever they read or some joe blow at the parts house told them. There are very few people I listen to on this forum.

Your opening statements in this thread where childish and resembled those. If you have in fact owned the cars mentioned (and there not your Daddy's) then I could have some respect for you and look to you for information and experience, but you can't handle yourself in a public forum so I don't care to listen/argue/continue talking to you. You do what you feel is right and I will do what I feel is right. I always offer information on the conservative side, that is they way I have always been and always will be. Good day sir.
I'm not afraid to tell you if you're baby is ugly. I'm not childish, I'm just not politically correct. I'm a straight shooter and always will be. Some people like it, some people don't. Yes I do own all those cars(and let my father drive them) and I do ALL my own work. No one has ever touched any of my vehicles except to tune besides a few buddys, father, and I. I have been turning wrenches since I was a wee little lad while sitting in my father's classes(teaches automotive at the college level, some of his students are on this very forum). I have surrounded myself in the auto-motive industry and know owners and presidents of many aftermarket company's. Even worked for a few while in college part time. I have worked on everything from a pinto to a Lambo. Hell it wasn't two weekends ago I was messing with a nitro dragster.

Point is, listen to a few people on this forum...

Up the boost
Get a tune

Enjoy many many trouble free years.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
So you aren't just some joe blow, that is good know, I haven't found too many serious knowledgable people on this forum. So you really don't feel like more boost would be an issue? Where do you feel the weak point of these motors are? What octane are you running? You familiar with the Roush M90 blowers on these trucks, what is the amount of boost you would run with them? I am going to caculate blower speed and see where I am at, I am not sure how much more I can spin the blower.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by mrpositraction
So you aren't just some joe blow, that is good know, I haven't found too many serious knowledgable people on this forum. So you really don't feel like more boost would be an issue? Where do you feel the weak point of these motors are? What octane are you running? You familiar with the Roush M90 blowers on these trucks, what is the amount of boost you would run with them? I am going to caculate blower speed and see where I am at, I am not sure how much more I can spin the blower.
Just follow the same basic rules as a stock lightning and you will be ok. The m90 will run slightly hotter then the m112, but nothing IMO to worry about with a GOOD TUNE. 9psi I beleive it the ultimate, give an idiot the truck and nothing will ever ever ever ever happen to it.

450-500rwhp max

Don't do any 60mph punches from OD.

I run 93.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 PM
fatherford you stated dont do any 60 mph punches with od on what is happening and do you canel od or just dont do and 60 mph punches

Old 06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by jhunt47
fatherford you stated dont do any 60 mph punches with od on what is happening and do you canel od or just dont do and 60 mph punches
Turn OD off, then punch.

The instant 2000rpm to 5000rpm with 400+rwhp at full throttle is what redecorates blocks with the addition of windows. On low hp trucks(yes even blown) it's not really a factor on our stock rods. When you start getting up there in power, the rods can only handle so much.

Like I said, I beat on my truck, but I also drive it smartly.

Once again, just read about the Gen2 lightnings. Follow their rules and you will be ok.

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 06-15-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roush stock tunes are extremely lacking. Its more than just a/f ratio and timing. Logging it isn't going to show you anywhere near the picture of what's lacking --- you need to look at the tune and have an understanding of how ETC vehicles work at the PCM level.

Roush's tune:
The speed limiter and RPM limiters are too low. The driver demand tables are all wrong, the closed to open loop transition slope is wrong, the shift and tc strategies are bad. The fuel pump isn't properly set and nearly maxes out duty cycle at WOT. The tranny slip times are bad, and so are the torque reduction tables. The ETC response time is slow. The Roush tune dumps boost until 80% throttle (which makes a huge difference in part to WOT response time). Idle is too low for good launches. Timing advance, rates and retard are done poorly. The vehicle dumps boost over 5250 RPM. WOT shifts are about 100 RPM too low. Torque truncation is wrong. Those are just the surface things (and not even close to all of them). The details... well, the tuner handles that and believe me, its more than just a dozen or so changes with Roush's tune.

Something else that sucks with Roush tunes... older revisions had too much timing in very cold weather and could nuke your block. Roush sent customers letters stating an update was available to address poor quality fuel but the fact is a big part of that update was fixing that problem. With a Roush tune there can be 20HP or much more left on the table depending on your truck, the Roush tune revision (there are over a dozen), who tunes it, etc.

The Roush tune is so lacking, that I'd take a Roushcharged F150 with stock boost and a good tune over a Roush tune and more boost. Even better is more boost with a good tune.

What does Roush do well? They have solid, safe A/F ratios nailed, and the vehicle adapts the A/F fast. The intake is very well designed and gives the MAF plenty of headroom for adding more boost. The warranty is good. The installation looks OEM. The intake is monsterous.

The difference is night and day, and the Roush tune feels downright sluggish compared to a good tune, even more than the HP alone can account for.

Last edited by DigitalMarket; 06-15-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
That is an elaboration, thank you, lots of good information.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I would love to see anyone with a custom tune do a full throttle pull up a mountain freeway at 10,000' DA and make it up the hill without a tow truck.

I'll keep my conservative Roush tune thank you.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny thing... subsequent revisions of Roush tunes are incorporating changes the better aftermarket tuners have made. Why is that?

Old 06-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by RoushF150
I would love to see anyone with a custom tune do a full throttle pull up a mountain freeway at 10,000' DA and make it up the hill without a tow truck.

I'll keep my conservative Roush tune thank you.
I would take that bet in my 12lb Saleen.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
I would take that bet in my 12lb Saleen.
You'll never make it. The motor will throw a piston before you get to the tunnel.

Quick Reply: Roush supercharger questions...