Oil Separators

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil Separators

Seems a lot of people are running the L&S kit. What other options are out there? Is there a place to order the L&S kit on the net? I seem to have found their website, but no order options from what I could see.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up the L&S oil separator last week, installed it this weekend. The big difference with these are they are maintenance free. LFP makes a unit too, but I've heard they're not as effective, and you need to drain the oil that collects periodically.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
call vince and talk to him or tara

DMR also carries a nice oil seperator but I too have the L&S

Old 06-28-2009, 04:10 PM
I sent them an e-mail. They're not that far from me. Any reason this wouldn't work on a 2008 with a Roush supercharger?

Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
you may need to change the vacuum lines if the length is different than the Lightning Harley trucks but the main part that you need it the part that fits into the oil filler cap

Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 AM
You can make your own for about $12 from Home Depot parts. Used one on my stang religiously. No more stang so it just sits in the garage. I'll post a pic tonight.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 AM
It'll cost a bit more than $12. The Home Depot seperator alone costs more than that. Plus, you need to buy hose designed for oil/gas, fittings to connect the hoses to the separator, a couple of elbow hoses, some hose clamps and something to mount it with (I used a chrome coil mounting adapter for this). Total cost will run you about $30. Figure $40 if you get the larger separator like I did (holds more oil). Works very well on the Roushcharger.

Trending Topics

Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't have the time to chase parts down, so I took the easy way out and ordered one from L&S. Anyone got pics of the Home Depot separator?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM
When did L&S get an application for the 2004 Roushcharger? Last I looked they only had Lightning applications.

With the Lightning unit on a Roushcharger you're still going to have to chase parts down, because the connections are on the opposite valve cover and opposite side of the supercharger, plus the 2004+ doesn't have a PCV per se, so you need to get an elbow adapter, plus a connector for it to the hose on separator. You're also going to have to figure out how to route the hose over or under the SC front to the separator, and how to connect the t-hose near the back of the supercharger. I looked into the L&S, and figured that by the time I converted it over, I could have done my own in less time. Took me about an hour's time at Home Depot and Ace Hardware, and 45 minutes to install. The Roushcharger plumbing for this is different enough that it just wasn't worth the effort, especially considering how proud L&S is of something so simple. As to self cleaning, well, it takes me about 30 seconds every month for this unit, so no big deal. I've thought of moving it over oil filler cap, and using a check valve system to make it self maintaining, but frankly its just not worth the effort, and there's something about self-draining which doesn't sit right with me (see below). I'll see if I can get photos... but the camera is buried in the closest with the luggage after our last vacation.

Okay, here's the issue with self draining. Crank case not only vents oil, it also vents blow-by, and a small amount of unburnt fuel which gets past the rings during the compression cycle. If you doubt it, smell a PCV, separator or breather on virtually any vehicle. There will be a slight gas smell. The oil separator is also separating this fuel in addition to oil. With a self-draining system the oil/gas flows back into the crank case. I'd like to see long term oil analysis with a self draining system and would not be surprised to see some fuel dillution of oil. With a separator that's not self-draining, I don't drain the oil back into the crank case. I put it in my used oil bucket that I take to the auto parts store after every oil change. I'm really picky about oil in my truck. 100% synthetic, Mobil 1, K&N or Pure One filters, and 2.5K change intervals with oil analysis every 10K. On my other vehicles (not blown) I use standard oil with standard drain intervals.

Last edited by DigitalMarket; 06-29-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Not knowing how the unit functions puts me at a loss of what I need to build my own. If I have kit in front of me, I can probably figure it out. I have a pretty good supply of hoses accumulated over the years, but if someone has retrofitted some sort of separator to a late model with a Roush supercharger, please let me know how you did it.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Hang tight... I'll get some photos up within the next couple of days. See my edits above also....

Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 AM
oil separator? is this for keep the intercooler from getting all oily? whats it for? i have the roush kit is it needed?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluebeast06
oil separator? Is this for keep the intercooler from getting all oily? Whats it for? I have the roush kit is it needed?
yes !

Old 06-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Pretty much any supercharger application should use one. Over time the intercooler will get coated with oil, it'll cake up and it loses efficiency.

Quick Reply: Oil Separators