trying to put togther a twin turbo setup...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Roberts
The 6.0 is a push rod motor and 5.4 will not spool faster with stock 3v heads. Pretty bold statement for for an engine that moves less volume of air through cylinder heads that flow almost 100 cfm less. That's what spools turbos, volume. The more air that leaves given cylinder during exh. stroke, the faster the turbo will spool.

Wrong bucko. Exhaust ENERGY spools the turbo and volume is only PART of that equation. And with the 5.4L's 4.165" stroke (stroke DOES provide more energy to the exhaust) it gives it a serious advantage. Also, with the 5.4L having that much stroke but fewer cubes means the turbo's compressor side will maintain a higher level of efficiency (that means it will make MORE power) at a given pressure ratio. That's why single 76mm Supras can make 1000+hp, yet the exact same turbo on a 337 CID SBF won't make even 800hp. The 5.4L is just about EVERYTHING a turbo could want in an engine.

We did a 88mm on a stroked 4v Cobra Aluminator motor in my shop a few months back and through stock cams with virtually no overlap, spooled at almost 4000rpm.
Put a single 101 on a stock headed 2V Lightning and it reached full boogie before 3200 rpms. 4V Cobra is a 4.6L based engine...not a 5.4L. BIG difference.

And definitely stay away from the El cheapos and stick with the more efficient turbos like Garrett and Turbonetics. If you want to spend a little more on the ball bearing turbos, they will come in a hair quicker but they don't make any more power.
You need to go over to yellowbullet's turbo section. Have a great write up on how one of those "cheapo" BW turbos out spooled and out-powered a far more expensive ball bearing Turbonetics unit. If we have to go to a T6 turbo in a buddy's car the current Turbonetics 76mm is going out and a BW S475 is going in.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 AM
you can also do a small turbo that spools up a big honker of a turbo, that way you get a butt load of boost fairly quickly

Old 07-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Compound staging turbos is fine for diesels. Not something terribly practical for street gasser motors. Diesels are inherently suited for the 40, 60, upwards of 100+ psi those setups can make efficiently because of detonation tolerance, heavy duty internals/block structure, and diesel fuel itself. Single turbo 5.4L is plenty.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by justjames80
Wrong bucko. Exhaust ENERGY spools the turbo and volume is only PART of that equation. And with the 5.4L's 4.165" stroke (stroke DOES provide more energy to the exhaust) it gives it a serious advantage. Also, with the 5.4L having that much stroke but fewer cubes means the turbo's compressor side will maintain a higher level of efficiency (that means it will make MORE power) at a given pressure ratio. That's why single 76mm Supras can make 1000+hp, yet the exact same turbo on a 337 CID SBF won't make even 800hp. The 5.4L is just about EVERYTHING a turbo could want in an engine.

Put a single 101 on a stock headed 2V Lightning and it reached full boogie before 3200 rpms. 4V Cobra is a 4.6L based engine...not a 5.4L. BIG difference.

You need to go over to yellowbullet's turbo section. Have a great write up on how one of those "cheapo" BW turbos out spooled and out-powered a far more expensive ball bearing Turbonetics unit. If we have to go to a T6 turbo in a buddy's car the current Turbonetics 76mm is going out and a BW S475 is going in.
This is so stupid it's almost not even worth commenting on. It's more funny when someone that gets their info by believing everything they read and has surely never even had anything turbo'ed tries to tell someone that builds, tunes and races turbo and supercharged cars in their own shop how things work. And a Supra or anything else will never make 1000rwhp with a 76mm. I don't care what the YouTube video or bubba's brother's aunt's cousin's wife's nephew's son's ex wife's dog told you.

On the other hand, when you complete your build, and I sincerely hope it is bad a$$, post your graph's and if I'm wrong I'll eat my words and admit I'm a dumba$$. And if a 2v Lightning spooled a 101mm by 3200(which is crap because we've already done a HP powered turbo Lighting), then you should have no problem spooling a 88 by 2600. We'll see....

Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 AM
This is so stupid it's almost not even worth commenting on. It's more funny when someone that gets their info by believing everything they read and has surely never even had anything turbo'ed tries to tell someone that builds, tunes and races turbo and supercharged cars in their own shop how things work. And a Supra or anything else will never make 1000rwhp with a 76mm. I don't care what the YouTube video or bubba's brother's aunt's cousin's wife's nephew's son's ex wife's dog told you.
You need to get out more. Supra's have been making 1000 rwhp with medium frame 76mm turbos for years. If that's beyond your comprehension that is your problem. Same goes for the fact that the same 76mm turbo won't make that much power on a V8 even with more displacement. BW S475's are 75mm turbos and they are certainly capable of making 1000 hp on a small block combo. You must only have experience with small frame 76's and given you toss in HP's kits I understand where that comes from. Look back at some of my other posts and you'll see the difference between the 76mm HP sells and a real 76mm turbo (the kind that makes serious power).

On the other hand, when you complete your build, and I sincerely hope it is bad a$$, post your graph's and if I'm wrong I'll eat my words and admit I'm a dumba$$. And if a 2v Lightning spooled a 101mm by 3200(which is crap because we've already done a HP powered turbo Lighting), then you should have no problem spooling a 88 by 2600. We'll see....
I don't need to build anything to suit you and I certainly don't care what you'd eat. The Lightning I worked with certainly was using HP's junk either...

Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by justjames80
You need to get out more. Supra's have been making 1000 rwhp with medium frame 76mm turbos for years. If that's beyond your comprehension that is your problem. Same goes for the fact that the same 76mm turbo won't make that much power on a V8 even with more displacement. BW S475's are 75mm turbos and they are certainly capable of making 1000 hp on a small block combo. You must only have experience with small frame 76's and given you toss in HP's kits I understand where that comes from. Look back at some of my other posts and you'll see the difference between the 76mm HP sells and a real 76mm turbo (the kind that makes serious power).

I don't need to build anything to suit you and I certainly don't care what you'd eat. The Lightning I worked with certainly was using HP's junk either...
....LOL..keep reading your books youngin'. You've apparently never even driven a turbo car. Damn, I guess I need to have a nice sit down with Steve petty and Tim Lynch this weekend when I go over there and tell them about these new breakthrough magical turbos that our boys in SSO and Pro 5.0 should be using. NOPI opened there doors to domestics in 2006, after Manny Buginga walked away with the championship with that little Turbonetics SBF, they shut the doors on domestics. Man, If only someone would have told them about the magical BW's, all those domestics wouldn't have walked all over 'em

Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 PM
....LOL..keep reading your books youngin'. You've apparently never even driven a turbo car. Damn, I guess I need to have a nice sit down with Steve petty and Tim Lynch this weekend when I go over there and tell them about these new breakthrough magical turbos that our boys in SSO and Pro 5.0 should be using. NOPI opened there doors to domestics in 2006, after Manny Buginga walked away with the championship with that little Turbonetics SBF, they shut the doors on domestics. Man, If only someone would have told them about the magical BW's, all those domestics wouldn't have walked all over 'em

The Supra crowd was into them in 2006. Quite a few SBC and BBC guys started running them. I guess your crew was/is still a little behind. Maybe you should talk to the guys at Bullseye Power and see what they have been doing with these "magical" turbos. Quite a few converts from the Turbonetics homers for sure.... I notice you keep talking but haven't brought anything up to dispute what this "youngin" has said. Oh, and what Manny did at NOPI had a LOT to do with managing the tree and not just because of a Turbonetics on a SBF. I know that story too...

Old 07-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Who cares what turbo is used. Just about any turbo over a certain size is going to produce more than enough horsepower for these 5.4L 3 valve motors.

That is if you want to build the motor so it doesn't leave a trail of busted internals down the track.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am agreeing with at least that

Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Wow kids this thread is getting good. Before anyone boils over, i never read anywhere where he has a supra, 6leaker, or a 5.4 3v. He has a non pi 4.6 by his sig. First thing i would do if i was you is research, research, research. Dont waste your money on an ebay turbo that will be nothing more than a paper weight. THe turbo forums is a great place to go to get good info and to get good deals on parts. I personally would go with a master power t70 you can pick up a used one for next to nothing and they have been proven to make power and be reliable. If you are trying to go cheep which im guessing since you mentioned an ebay turbo, skip the intercooler. No intercooler is going to be less piping to run and cheeper, but your iats will be higher but since you cant run big boost it wouldnt matter. My vortech wasnt intercooled and it made great power. Their is numerous threads on the turbo forums where some have had good luck with ebay turbos and others have had horrible. Spend the money on a good turbo and add the intercooler later. Just my .02

Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by 150xlt
Wow kids this thread is getting good. Before anyone boils over, i never read anywhere where he has a supra, 6leaker, or a 5.4 3v. He has a non pi 4.6 by his sig.
as it says in my first post I am going to rebuild a 2000ish 5.4l engine

but anyways here is what I posted at the turbo forums

Originally Posted by Stephen87
thanks for the help you all have given me so far, I think that for now I am going to go with a single turbo probably from master power and then just use that until I feel I need a twin turbo(when I do I will get a smaller one that will spool up quicker than the larger one), also I guess I am going to have to start looking through the suppliers here for the intercooler and other needed parts.
and yes it is a master power MP70

but anyways here is the link if you feel like reading it
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=129578.0

Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=Stephen87;3802978]as it says in my first post I am going to rebuild a 2000ish 5.4l engine

I completely missed that Are you going to rebuild as in stock rods and pistons or build as in forged?

In that case i would buy a set of ford racing shorty headers for a 99-04 gt and flip them around. Cut the flanges off and weld v-band clamps on. Check a few of the L sites their is pics and its been done with great success. The shorty headers are only 300ish new if i remember right. If you are going to built then i would rock one of the ebay intercoolers. The ebay intercoolers seem to be pretty good and are pretty cheep.

Last edited by 150xlt; 07-14-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I have been looking at the intercoolers and I have also been trying to find out if the hedmen headers I have on my current truck would fit the 5.4l engine because if so I could just cut up those and save some money

Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Stephen87
I have been looking at the intercoolers and I have also been trying to find out if the hedmen headers I have on my current truck would fit the 5.4l engine because if so I could just cut up those and save some money
Only one way to find out. I think the ports are the same but not 100% on it. Are they shortys? I really like the way this sounds than the first time i read it. A single t70 will be a nice fun little ride without all the extra plumbing and cost of twins. Check out lightningrodder, nloc those two sites have a turbo section with really good info. I look forward to your next step.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Yea they are shortys and as far as I can tell from reading the only difference in the ports is 1/8th of an inch

Quick Reply: trying to put togther a twin turbo setup...