trying to put togther a twin turbo setup...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trying to put togther a twin turbo setup...

on paper

here is what I have so far

manifold $800
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...urbo+Manifolds

they are also on ebay from the same company for 700

turbo 100-300ish for 1 off of ebay
brand size-????<---need help

I also know I need tubing but I have no idea where to get it at and have no idea of the cost

intercooler - $80
probably just this one or something like it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRac...Q5fAccessories

wastgate - about $80
unless you know something better

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/60MM-...Q5fAccessories

dont know enough about blow off valves yet

what else would I need to get to get this project going

the engine will be a 5.4 with all forged internals including crang shaft(stock block) also stock heads

the transmission is hopefully if it fits a zf transmission from a 02ish f250 and the rear end is from a 5.4

Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWIN-...Q5fAccessories

Wouldn't this kit bolt up to your manifolds you are looking for? If you're not concerned about price then go with an STS kit:

http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems

That way you can plumb right into the exhaust without manifolds.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:28 PM
the ebay kit seems to be something that would be a great start up kit since I can always upgrade turbos and stuff later on as for the sts universal kit it seems as though it is mounted on the bottom of the truck and since I off road every once in a while it seems that that could be a problem, on another note if my engine was in good shape I could take them my truck since they are looking for one but o well

also how do I make a down pipe

also I think they might have messed up on some pricing on their site

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...che+996%2C+993

Last edited by Stephen87; 07-02-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:33 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
talk to travis at spyder, he was offering $4200 installed with all the fuel system upgrades

Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good info here, it's a very deep subject........ http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

Old 07-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Just something to think about, it seems alot of high performance cars that are twinturbo from the factory get replaced with one BIG turbo by aftermarket for go fast. Not saying twinturbo wouldnt be badass, but just keep it in mind.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd love to see this happen

Old 07-04-2009, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Just something to think about, it seems alot of high performance cars that are twinturbo from the factory get replaced with one BIG turbo by aftermarket for go fast. Not saying twinturbo wouldnt be badass, but just keep it in mind.
from what I have read(and it might be outtdated) is that with two turbos you get boost throughout the rpm range which give you more low end horsepower and highend where as one big anus turbo will give you much much more highend horsepower, also with the twin the way i have read to set it up was to run one small one and one medium one so once your rpms get to a certain point the medium one takes over where the small one left off, also two smaller ones are much cheaper than one big one from what I have seen

Originally Posted by ONELOWF
Good info here, it's a very deep subject........ http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php
I am going to have to make an account on that site and learn all I can about turbos and also I found a cool spot that shows what cars had small turbos that can be used on the trucks

Last edited by Stephen87; 07-04-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
don't forget to look at the aurora systems from ATS, a set up like uses 2 turbo's in parralel so the small one gets it rolling and the large one takes over as the rpms climb

Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Stephen87
from what I have read(and it might be outtdated) is that with two turbos you get boost throughout the rpm range which give you more low end horsepower and highend where as one big anus turbo will give you much much more highend horsepower, also with the twin the way i have read to set it up was to run one small one and one medium one so once your rpms get to a certain point the medium one takes over where the small one left off, also two smaller ones are much cheaper than one big one from what I have seen
Yea thats how they are set up usually where one feeds the other. I ment more in reference to cars such as the Toyota Supra Twin Turbo for example. It uses a smaller turbo to feed a larger tubro in its on unique setup. However the guys that are making serious power, all go BIG single turbo. Now its a common joke that they only run 12s in the quarter mile which most heavily modified ones do. But watch a video on youtube of a big turbo supra on the free way, and see if anything at all can keep up.

If you think about driving WOT, sure from a dead stop you will have a delay in spool time, but with a V8 pushing a big turbo it the lag wont be as bad as say a EVO or something. Plus at WOT your truck will be over 3500RPM every upshift so you wont ever experience lag again during the run.

Either way, twin turbo or single, its still a turbo set up and aint no one going to give you nothin but respect.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Stephen87
also two smaller ones are much cheaper than one big one from what I have seen

Maybe in a junkyard. You can buy a very big and capable single turbo for around $500 (BW S475 comes to mind).

Keep this in mind: The 5.4L can spool a very big turbo for its displacement. At 330 CID it'll pump up a turbo faster than any SBF or SBC of equivalent displacement. Don't get hung up on some outdated modes of thinking where others will say a 76mm turbo is too big and will lag. It isn't and it won't on these engines. You can probably find a very good deal on a small, medium, or even large frame turbo in the 70 - 80mm range that will support plenty of power with room to grow, be cost effective, durable, and will spool plenty soon enough to fry the tires at will.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:59 PM
It is a myth that twins spool faster than singles. Twins are generally better when you have less room to run tubing because there are no x-over tubes. 330c.i. is not a lot of displacement but with a properly matched exhaust A/R, will spool up quick. People will talk turbo lag, but if that's the case, there housing is not matched to there combo. Just as a example, I'm running a 76mm on a 6.0L, that's only about 30 more C.I.s, with a .96A/R exh. I'm also running a 3400 stall converter from a previous combo. which is a little to much. It achieves full spool at a little over 3000rpm. The trick is, you want your stall speed to be just before your turbos spool time on a street motor where your not in boost everytime you go half throttle to merge or pass because gas mileage and street ability will suffer. There is a bit of science to it but the outcome is just sick

76mm. is plenty for the street because it still has good spool time for that many C.I.s. Just depends on how much power you ultimately want to make. BEFORE you start, that's the main question you want to ask, along with do you want your power to come in low rpms for towing and mudding, or do you want a high revving eng. where it comes in later...? Don't just throw one on or you could end up like those stupid import guys that have to get on the interstate at 80+mph. and can't race a go cart from a dig at a red light.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:54 PM
The 5.4L will spool up a 76mm faster than a 6.0L. It's not the difference in cubes...it's the difference in stroke that's key. I wouldn't be concerned about lag running a single PT88 on a stock headed 5.4L. If keeping with a budget build then look at the Borg Warner turbos. T6 flanged 75mm turbo for less than $600 brand new if you don't shop around. Support all the power you could want and are very durable. Definitely the route I'm going with my truck.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by justjames80
The 5.4L will spool up a 76mm faster than a 6.0L. It's not the difference in cubes...it's the difference in stroke that's key. I wouldn't be concerned about lag running a single PT88 on a stock headed 5.4L. If keeping with a budget build then look at the Borg Warner turbos. T6 flanged 75mm turbo for less than $600 brand new if you don't shop around. Support all the power you could want and are very durable. Definitely the route I'm going with my truck.
The 6.0 is a push rod motor and 5.4 will not spool faster with stock 3v heads. Pretty bold statement for for an engine that moves less volume of air through cylinder heads that flow almost 100 cfm less. That's what spools turbos, volume. The more air that leaves given cylinder during exh. stroke, the faster the turbo will spool.

We did a 88mm on a stroked 4v Cobra Aluminator motor in my shop a few months back and through stock cams with virtually no overlap, spooled at almost 4000rpm. That's why I asked the the question, how much power do you want to achieve? An 88mm will definitely make more power, but if 6-700hp is what you want, then an 88 would be a stupid choice when a 76 will make that,(Mine dyno'd 645@ 10psi.) and spool sooner which is what you want for the street. All I have to do is take off my 76 and bolt on the 88, but it would be pointless because even running around with slicks, I still can't put the power to the ground, and it takes longer to spool. And the 76 makes more power than I can put down on pump gas.

And definitely stay away from the El cheapos and stick with the more efficient turbos like Garrett and Turbonetics. If you want to spend a little more on the ball bearing turbos, they will come in a hair quicker but they don't make any more power.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Ok someone needs to clarify here. Some guys are talking about compounds and calling them twins and some guys are just talking about true twins. True twins will not spool fasters than a single, but compounds will and thats a fact.

Quick Reply: trying to put togther a twin turbo setup...