Which supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which supercharger?

I have an 04 f150 5.4l that im gonna put a supercharger on but i dont know which one to get. Ive been looking at the roush and the ford one, both are inercooled and make the same power according to online, and my friend told me about the procharger? and I know the ford and roush supercharger come with a programmer to reprogram your computer? I wouldnt need any other programmer would I?

Any info please?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Out of the box the roush S/C puts out 6 psi for I/C version and 5 for the non i/c, whereas the whipple/ford racing S/C puts out 8 psi. The roush uses a 1.8 L charger and the whipple uses a 2.3 L, the bigger the unit the slower you can spin it to make the same boost and slower speed means less heat and less hp loss to drive it. Also the whipple will make bigger boost than the roush can, as long as you have a built motor to handle it, a stock 5.4 3v can handle at most 12 psi with a good tune and a roush can easily make that. The roush is a more complete kit than the whipple is, the whipple requires you to reuse your stock injectors and to supply zero heat range plugs yourself, whereas the roush comes with new plugs and 39# injectors and its own dedicated drive belt w/pulleys and bridge. The whipple uses the factory belt drive (the same one that drives the alt and waterpump)

The whipple/ford racing s/c sends you a pro-cal tool to reprogram you PCM and with the roush you have to send your PCM to them and they reprogram it for you and send it back. Both brands stock tunes suck, your better off getting a custom tune after your install. Both will give sub 400 hp at the wheels stock, not to mention the 100 mph speed limiter, and the boost dump at higher rpm on the roush. The advertised 445, 450 hp is at the crank, not the wheels.

A whipple/ford racing setup with a 10 psi upgrade (smaller upper pulley [3.00 or 3.125] 39# injectors, custom tune) will get you about 420 to the wheels. A roush with a 2 lb lower pulley, e fans, long tube headers, cutom tune and porting job will get most about 405 to the wheels. Then theres Matt's truck, he's getting 419 out of a roush with headers, fans, 2lb pulley, porting and tune.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the info, this helped me alot. I was leaning more towards the ford supercharger in the first place. Where do I get the 10 psi pulley and do I need injector and spark plugs? And #39 injectors are what is recommended for the ford supercharger? What programmer is the best for a custom tune and what place is the best for a custom tune? SCT OR GRYPHON? I would like to get a dash mounted programmer.

And on the ford racing website the supercharger kit says a 90mm mass air meter? Does the truck has one or does that mean I need one? And what do I need to do about my intake? Am I able to buy a K&N intake or what would I need?

Last edited by trx450er; 07-20-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by trx450er
Thanks for the info, this helped me alot. I was leaning more towards the ford supercharger in the first place. Where do I get the 10 psi pulley and do I need injector and spark plugs? And #39 injectors are what is recommended for the ford supercharger? What programmer is the best for a custom tune and what place is the best for a custom tune? SCT OR GRYPHON? I would like to get a dash mounted programmer.

And on the ford racing website the supercharger kit says a 90mm mass air meter? Does the truck has one or does that mean I need one? And what do I need to do about my intake? Am I able to buy a K&N intake or what would I need?
If your leaning toward the ford/whipple setup, make sure you get the 04 model. Something changed for 05 so they have a totally different kit for 05-up.
The pulley you need is 3.125" which you can get direct from whipple or anyone else who sells the S/C. The plugs you can get just about anywhere, ford racing has some, so does autolite (HT0) and brisk racing makes some one step colder also.
The injectors are not required, but highly recommended. Stockers are #24 and they are at their limit at 8 psi. Since the roush and the magnacharger come with #39, most put 39's on the whipple when they up the boost. You can use whatever size you want, #30, #39, #47, #52, #60, #80. The 60's and 80's are pysically longer injectors so they require spacers for the fuel rail.
The programmer is somewhat your choice, if you want a dash mount, then get a gryphon.
The stock throttle body is 75mm and BBK makes a 80mm, but its 3 bills for only 5mm more. The 90mm mass air meter is plenty big enough for anything under 14 psi and can flow more than the throttle body can.
The ford/whipple comes with a new cold air tube/mass air meter and filter housing w/filter. Your old stuff goes in the swap meet pile including your k&n filter.

Here is the whipple page direct from their site http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1203

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 07-20-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 PM
The Whipple/ford kit is nice it just lacks the injectors and a new pulley if you want to up the boost. I'm running 8lbs of boost and I make awsome power thanks to Mike a Troyer Performance. You do not need a bigger MAF, and DO NOT put a 2 piece plug back in your truck get the Brisk plugs. and a bigger TB is a waste of money.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm leaning towards the Ford Racing or Whipple kit myself. From my understanding, it will need injectors, plugs, and of course a good tune. I noted the plugs mentioned in the above post, but where do you get the injectors? Price range? I'm trying to gauge what the better cost point would be and figure out what would be best for me. I really want the bigger charger and like the look and fitment of the Whipple or Ford Racing as well.

Any help and ideas is greatly appreciated. I want the bigger charger and hoping for 10psi with at least 400 at the wheels if possible

Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
I'm leaning towards the Ford Racing or Whipple kit myself. From my understanding, it will need injectors, plugs, and of course a good tune. I noted the plugs mentioned in the above post, but where do you get the injectors? Price range? I'm trying to gauge what the better cost point would be and figure out what would be best for me. I really want the bigger charger and like the look and fitment of the Whipple or Ford Racing as well.

Any help and ideas is greatly appreciated. I want the bigger charger and hoping for 10psi with at least 400 at the wheels if possible
you should be close to 400 heres the ford site to get some injectors
http://www.blueovalindustries.com/pr...p?pid=99012969

Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM
These mustang injectors fit my 5.4l f150 right? And thanks for the information so much, this helped me out alot.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:06 PM

Yes, they will. But do not install them until you have the new pulley and the custom tune for the higher boost. And make sure whoever writes your new tune, knows exactly what size injectors you have because that info is needed when the tune is written.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 PM
What kind of gas mileage would I be expecting with the stock injectors and 8 lbs of boost vs 10 with 39 lb injectors? I get 15 now all stock

Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by trx450er
What kind of gas mileage would I be expecting with the stock injectors and 8 lbs of boost vs 10 with 39 lb injectors? I get 15 now all stock
I've heard that you get about 10 until you learn to keep your foot out of it.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
I've heard that you get about 10 until you learn to keep your foot out of it.
You got that right on the mileage, I have had my magnacharger for just a bit over a year and still haven't learned to keep my foot out of it, don't think I want to either, too much fun.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 PM
You must run the hell out of it to get 10. If I run mine hard i'll get 13 on the hwy I get 18-20 at 55-65mph

Old 07-24-2009, 06:10 AM
yea i get 10 when im beating on her, my biggest problem i cant drive 55-65 but i have got 16 out of once or twice

Old 07-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should be little to no difference in mileage between 8 or 10 PSI.

I wish I could get 10 MPG.
Only way I can get that or a little over is a long highway runs.
Otherwise,,around town I average 5 miles per gallon.

Phil

Quick Reply: Which supercharger?