Trying to make a final decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trying to make a final decision

Well I have been tossing around a lot of ideas and doing lots of research and still find myself at a cross roads as to what kind of forced induction setup I would like to go with. They both have their pros and cons, i'm just having a hard time deciding. I am torn in 3 directions:

1. Going with a single 76mm turbo and mounting the turbo in the huge space where my factory fan shroud used to be. Of course it would have to be all custom fabed piping which will not be an issue.

2. Getting a roush intake and mounting a Kenne Belle mammoth or Whipple 3.4 blower and just run high boost till I blow my motor then build my internals to support more power.(well I'm actually going to do that with any setup) I would really like more information on how to use the roush manifold to put on the bigger blowers and what else is needed to make that setup work.

3. Doing a D1sc setup with a 3 core intercooler and all of the extras. The new helium impellers are very very impressive and efficient and frankly I have always wanted to go with a procharger kit for some reason.

My truck is going to be my daily driver again and I want it to be fun but still efficient. I do a lot of highway driving so I want something that will be able to withstand lots of miles and heat and constant use. I'm only going to take it to the track to get some numbers on it just so I can keep track of the progression as I do upgrades. Other than that the truck will never see the track. I want it to be an all around fun truck that's fast and can still dominate anything on the street and push monster power. (I know I didn't mention above but I will do all the supporting mods for the power fuel, tranny, injectors, etc.) .

All suggestions are appreciated!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would love to take my roush blower off and swap with a kenne bell, but i would like to put off building a motor as long as possible, but for you to buy a roush manifold and all the pulley it would be the most pita, so i say go the the pro charger

Old 07-22-2009, 07:08 AM
For the fun factor, positive displacement blower all the way!
Nothings more fun then as soon as you hit the gas the tires start spinning,trucks going sideways all over the road. Nothing like it!!!

So I would suggest calling up KB or Whipple and talking to them about putting a 2.8 or 3.4 on the roush intake like you said. I'm sure ether one can tell you what you need to do to use the roush intake or if you even can.

I would just pull your motor out and save it for a spare.
If you go through the trouble of putting a nice blower on your stock motor,crank up the boost (like you said) your going to be very disappointed if 2 weeks later you have to start all over again.
Down time SUCKS!!!!! Just get ya a built block now and only do this job one time!

Phil

Last edited by phil6608; 07-22-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Ive been without my truck for 7 weeks now just waiting to get everything straight so I can tune the thing. Downtime blows! I have a bare block and heads that are awaiting parts to be installed. I plan to have a full built motor before I blow this one. Keep down time to a min.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:29 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you wait till the block is built you will have two running engines.... You then have a backup if anything fails. Just a thought.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
D1sc or a F1A with the extras and call it a day

Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
I want to build my motor but right now I am at a crossroads as to keeping the 3v and building it or finding a 4v and building it. The perfect scenario is to find a wrecked navi and grab it's motor and 6spd tranny. Then of course the pcm ecm and all of that sort of jazz as well. Then I would build it. With that said does that change yall's opinion on which direction I should go? Keep in mind this is going to be a show truck so unique is good.

If I do decide to throw on a kb or 3.4 where can I buy a roush intake? Also, I am going to be putting cams in whichever motor I get. I almsot bought the FRPP hot rod cams the other day from a buddy but decided to pass. I'm kind of kicking myself now for it too!

Also, when y'all post suggestions on setups I would really appreciate your input on the other aspects of it as well such as what size injectors, stall, gears, fuel pumps/systems, pulleys, and other accessories that would be necessary so I have it all mapped out. Thanks for the input everyone!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jwool15
Keep in mind this is going to be a show truck so unique is good.
Just curious;
what is your definition of a show truck?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Just curious why do you constantly post in threads and don't contribute to the topic. But to answer your question, a show truck to me is a clean tastefully modified vehicle that is impressive yet sleek. Something you look at and think it's a sweet lookin ride but once you do a double take and see whats on the inside you realize its more than what meets the eye. I have the full saleen body kit and a damn near one off custom interior already and parts stacked up of stuff going into this truck that would make your head explode if I told you. So, if you want to come back and contribute useful information and your opinion on the above topic, then by all means come back. But if you're just going to be a troll and not contribute anything to my thread (where I am trying to gain knowledge about a matter that I am not familiar with and am trying to seek information about from people who know more than I do) then run along and save your questions and google them!

Last edited by Jwool15; 07-22-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:14 PM
well atleast you wont have one of the trucks that are all show and no go
personally like the go and tow
but seriouly find a motor build it with whatcha want then swap it out, if you dont blow up your stock block you can sell it, now you wont get much but its something

Old 07-22-2009, 11:53 PM
what kind of numbers am I looking at Derrick with a built motor and a d1sc with the 3 core and all the bells and whistles. I'd need like 52# 4.10's dual 255's switch to true duals 3 inch all the way back from the headers and then like a 3k stall I guess. And a bigger MAF too probably

Last edited by Jwool15; 07-22-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
jwool I think you took drews question the wrong way

anyway, I'm curious as to what year lightning supercharger will bolt to the roush 3 valve lower intake / mid plate assembly

as you know I'm a huge procharger fan, 60# injectors and the largest fuel pump you can run long with your factory maf in a 3" blow thru tube shold suffice with a good tune

Quick Reply: Trying to make a final decision