ETC Max RPM for Throttle Angle

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ETC Max RPM for Throttle Angle

Ive been tuning my truck for about a week now and have been messing with a few things on and off but what interest me is this taken from the whipple tune itself. This is the "Electronic Throttle Control Max RPM for Throttle Angle".

From 500 to 2182 RPM the Throttle Angle is 19, 21 at 2781RPM, 24 at 3381RPM, 27 at 3930RPM, 30 at 4388RPM, 32 at 4845RPM and 34 at 5500RPM.

WOT and the throttle body only opens up 34 degrees. So it got me wondering, what if I set it to stock, 82 degrees, just for fun.

Well barely pushing the gas it makes 5PSI at like 1000RPM and goes like no other. Given the Blower almost surges now and again (partely do to my Air Fuel is a little off at this point) but its seriously fun. The blower will start to make slight boost and it will snow ball into 5-8lbs.

I wish I could see the ROUSH and Magna and ATI systems and see what they do with the Throttle body. I called up Whipple and asked but they dont actually do the tune, Ford does it and sends it to whipple all prepackaged.

Also in my tuning I was experimenting with the injector High and Low slopes. Basically that sets how much injector the ECM thinks it has at idle and low RPMs, and High RPMs. I was able to get a A/F ratio of 11.8 when I make it think I had ~33 lb injectors. Now I have NO idea who Whipple can make a good AFR with stock ~22lb injectors just by having them go static and upping the pressure of the fuel pump.

Anyone who has a S/C with stock injectors I HIGHLY recommend a new tune and atleast 39lb cobra injectors. From what else ive seen in the whipple tune it scares me lol.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The magnachargers come with the 39 lb injectors and another vendor does their tuning as well, not sure on the details of the tuning aspect, Troyer did mine and was talking about the tuning part and all the parameters but it was WAY over my head, so all he got was a glazed stare and an occasional nod...

Old 07-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Yea I think most of them actually come with other injectors, exept maybe the ATI kit may just have a FMU but I dont remember.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roush sets it to 90 across the entire RPM band.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 PM
do you have the roush? When you barely push the pedal down does it make instant boost even if you only give it enough gas to go up to 2000rpm or so?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I have a Roush. No, its not instant with barely pushing the pedal... you don't want that. Driving with it boosting all the time can actually hurt how quick the vehicle is because more heat is generated (with all chargers... the Roushcharger especially), raising intercooler fluid temps and IATs. Roush sets it to dump boost until you hit a lot more throttle.... but that is fixed with proper tuning. I have it set to dump boost based on RPM and throttle position, so its tame enough to drive in stop and go traffic, yet responsive when I mash the go pedal. There's a lot more to making it responsive than just the throttle angles though. Unfortunately, some of the really good stuff you don't have access to with HP Tuner's software (I assume that's what you're using because you used their terminology, which is different from the description SCT uses). I really can't give much details... too much of my own R&D and shared info with someone else who's trust I will not break, but I can tell you anything about Roush's stock tune you may want to know.

I suggest, if you don't have one already, is get a wide band and data log it. Not once, but under many conditions, both part throttle and WOT... not just the engine but also the tranny. Unfortunately, without a dyno, tranny tuning will take you a little longer since you can't see where the torque curves are with any engine tuning changes you make.

Saw your sig... yeah... get some good tires! The only thing bad tires are good for is making impressive black marks which aren't good for the tranny (like hitting a shift point while squealing tires). I'm running Z-rated Parada Spec tires... you'll have more options available than I do (275/55/20). Really like them... stick like glue compared to the tires Roush put on it.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Im using Delta Force Commando tuning software. Yea my tune is no where near complete but I just thought it was funny that it makes instantanious boost with no throttle applied. I couldnt even go half throttle with the KDW2s before breaking loose. Should be in the 13s easy

Im watching my wideband and MAF lbs/m and fuel trims to get a good AFR.

I read about SCT software and saw there is a huge learning curve on it, DF tuning seemed easier for me. Im trying to figure out how Whipple limited boost until you wanted it. Till then its awesome lowend power with all the boost with no pedal lol.

Last edited by IR0NS1N; 07-26-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:47 PM
My JDM tune will show boost without much throttle. I have to really concentrate on not getting into boost daily driving... Which I don't concentrate much.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Yea if I concentrate, I can not make boost, but once the boost starts, the blower starts making the engine rev faster and then 8lbs it goes without any gas and the truck flies.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Hmm has to do with a torque limiter, I just turned them all back on and it wont make boost unless I give it a good amount of gas.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
the key is finding the sweet spot.. i had tune where it was like that too..

Old 07-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Im going to mess around with a few limiters to see whats up. I dont hear any knock though on the low RPM high boost. its funny, truck hauls ***** down low, but give it gas and my AFR goes to 10 and lower cause I dont have that set up yet, and it just sits there and revs.

Quick Reply: ETC Max RPM for Throttle Angle