10 psi or leave at 8psi

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running almost 14 psi here....

With an offroad style exhaust.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The procharger set up loses boost through the heatexchanger and its a little bit different set up then a positive displacement blower. Still impressive on 14lbs

Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was running 14lb of boost with my NA block and what I found out was that the rotating side was not the problem, but the rings and exhaust valve guides were. Installed at 90,000 miles and at 120,000 both of those were a little useless. Luckily the hyperutectic pistons didn't fail. It lasted that long because I do not take my vehicle to the race track and I do not drive it like I stole it. I'm sure if I did, the maybe cast crank, rods and pistons would have left the building! I now have L crank, forgded pistons/rods and head studs, so 16lbs, no problems

The L/HD rods would in fact be the next weak point, but then again it all depends on your tune and how you drive. And keep your redline in check

Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
The procharger set up loses boost through the heatexchanger and its a little bit different set up then a positive displacement blower. Still impressive on 14lbs
The 14 psi would be measured after the intercooler, very near the throttle body, so losses would show up on the boost gauge.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N

All intercoolers cause some losses. There's no such thing as an effective intercooler that doesn't. I know guys who run serious boost without intercoolers and just run a lot of extra fuel....and make a lot more power than IC'd cars in the same class. Centrifugals (and turbos) are more efficient and forgiving...I can get away with that much boost as long as I keep the tune in check. I wouldn't try that much with a positive displacement setup. My rings and seals are in very good shape and I'm sure I'll be rebuilding for turbo duty long before the engine wears out.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by justjames80
All intercoolers cause some losses. There's no such thing as an effective intercooler that doesn't. I know guys who run serious boost without intercoolers and just run a lot of extra fuel....and make a lot more power than IC'd cars in the same class. Centrifugals (and turbos) are more efficient and forgiving...I can get away with that much boost as long as I keep the tune in check. I wouldn't try that much with a positive displacement setup. My rings and seals are in very good shape and I'm sure I'll be rebuilding for turbo duty long before the engine wears out.
There is a difference between race cars and daily drivers....

They can get away with it because they are only in boost for about 12 seconds or less. Dumping fuel will wash out cylinders over a period of time. Race cars change their oil VERY frequently.

This is why water/meth injection is VERY popular in race situations. It not only doesn't restrict, it cools the charge, cleans the combustion chamber, raises octane, and add's slightly more fuel. Even naturally aspirated configurations can see a slight added benefit to water/meth injection.

I have no doubt you are running 14lbs on factory 5.4.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
There is a difference between race cars and daily drivers....

That's why I said "cars in the same class"....meaning racing class.... But yeah, 8.xx:1 AFR's do muck up the oil....and plugs.

This is why water/meth injection is VERY popular in race situations. It not only doesn't restrict, it cools the charge, cleans the combustion chamber, raises octane, and add's slightly more fuel. Even naturally aspirated configurations can see a slight added benefit to water/meth injection.
IMO, water/meth injection (which I have on my truck) is great for street cars that see track time or people who just won't/can't run race fuel in certain true street car classes that allow alchy injection. Street car classes that allow race fuel...I'm burning leaded Sunoco or VP instead of methanol.

I have no doubt you are running 14lbs on factory 5.4.
I figured you wouldn't....

Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 PM
just put my new 4lb lower on tonight about @ 10.5 now noticed a little more power around 35-50 it just wants to smoke the tires

Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by bluebeast06
just put my new 4lb lower on tonight about @ 10.5 now noticed a little more power around 35-50 it just wants to smoke the tires
Nice, I am currently trying to find someone that sells an overdrive crank pulley for those of us who have to use the single belt setup, I found one in Australia but they want like 880.00 in Ausy money. Anybody on here that had theirs custom made? I pinged Bixby about his he had for sale a few weeks back, but not sure if he visits here often or if he sold it. I am currently at 7 psi and trying to get up to 10 at least for now...

Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 PM
that rough man, that was porbly the one reason i went with my roush all the lightning pulleys fit so i bought the metco system and it take all of 10min to change the pulley i worse part was trying to get those allen key bolts out they bin in for a year or so. what about changing the blower pulley i know you would be more prone to slipping, if the weather holds out friday i will have new numbers at the track

Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I went from a stock 3.0" to a 2.8" upper and do have some slippage, didn't want to go any lower on the upper for fears of worst slippage, so I was thinking maybe finding a lower crank pulley maybe 10% larger than the stock one, but very little luck so far.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:08 PM
well how much is a new upper 60 -80 bucks if it slips dont use it i have some slippage dont feel bad i never touched my upper

Old 09-03-2009, 03:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by batn68
Nice, I am currently trying to find someone that sells an overdrive crank pulley for those of us who have to use the single belt setup, I found one in Australia but they want like 880.00 in Ausy money. Anybody on here that had theirs custom made? I pinged Bixby about his he had for sale a few weeks back, but not sure if he visits here often or if he sold it. I am currently at 7 psi and trying to get up to 10 at least for now...
Send Bixby an email! I think he still has that pulley.
I sold it to him but it's a 6 rib and he needed a 8 rib.
And that's a great price. I think I paid close to $800 to have it made.

Phil

Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by phil6608
Send Bixby an email! I think he still has that pulley.
I sold it to him but it's a 6 rib and he needed a 8 rib.
And that's a great price. I think I paid close to $800 to have it made.

Phil
Thanks Phil, I just sent an email off to him to see if it's still available. If not, I read somewhere that ASP may be able to make one, I will send an email off to them as well to see what they say.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by batn68
Try innovators west, they make a 10% over and an 18% over in 6 rib or 8 rib.

http://www.innovatorswest.com/store/...ewCat&catId=32

ATI also makes a 12% over in both 6 and 8 rib

http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...ts/damford.htm

Quick Reply: 10 psi or leave at 8psi