10 psi or leave at 8psi

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 psi or leave at 8psi

I think im going to buy a whipple supercharger for my 04 f150 5.4 and it comes with 8 psi, I was thinking about buying a different pulley to up it to 10 psi, what else would I need besides the pulley? Im trying to make it fast but not spend alot more then I need to.

Right now I have straight pipe cat back, sct programmer, and e fans.

And where is the cheapest place to get a custom tune for a sct tuner?

Old 08-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have long tube headers? If not get a 3.125 pulley and a set of #39 injectors, that should put you at 10 psi. You can get everything here http://www.lethalperformance.com/

Charger
http://www.lethalperformance.com/04-...-black-p-15424

pulley
http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...pulley-p-15041

Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Do you have long tube headers? If not get a 3.125 pulley and a set of #39 injectors, that should put you at 10 psi. You can get everything here http://www.lethalperformance.com/

Charger
http://www.lethalperformance.com/04-...-black-p-15424

pulley
http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...pulley-p-15041
Are you positive on the part number for that pully? Im looking to up my boost to 10 as well but I have a roush supercharger...will this pullly work on my system? SORRY not trying to jack your thread!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteRoush3
Are you positive on the part number for that pully? Im looking to up my boost to 10 as well but I have a roush supercharger...will this pullly work on my system? SORRY not trying to jack your thread!
Those pulleys are for whipples. To up the boost on a roush, you just get a bigger lower pulley. Troyer sells them, and they come in 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, and 8lb, that I know of.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Those pulleys are for whipples. To up the boost on a roush, you just get a bigger lower pulley. Troyer sells them, and they come in 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, and 8lb, that I know of.
thank you sir....4lb sounds like a good upgrade

Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Roushchargers use the same lower pulley swap as the Lightnings.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by DigitalMarket
The Roushchargers use the same lower pulley swap as the Lightnings.
thanks thats what someone mentioned to me before but said they werent sure.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 PM
No I dont have long tube headers. What do they do different? And running 10 psi 3.125" pulley with 39lb injectors would be okay? 10psi is the highest I can go without putting anything else on it right?

Where is the cheapest place to get a custom emailed tune for my sct livewire?

Last edited by trx450er; 08-03-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by trx450er
No I dont have long tube headers. What do they do different? And running 10 psi 3.125" pulley with 39lb injectors would be okay? 10psi is the highest I can go without putting anything else on it right?

Where is the cheapest place to get a custom emailed tune for my sct livewire?
LT headers will gain you 25-30 RWHP and TQ. and dont go for a cheap tune call Mike at Troyer he knows how to make power with that Roush kit.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM

LT's lower exhaust backpressure, thereby lowering boost. If you had LT's then you need to go smaller on the pulley, like maybe a 3.00" to get 10 psi.

You can go as high as 12 lbs on a stock short block with a good tune. If you plan on more than 10 lbs, then you also need to upgrade your fuel system as the stock pump cannot supply enough fuel and you will lean out at higher rpm. Also if your going more than 10 lbs, get bigger injectors than 39's, like maybe some 47's or 52's.

Any good tuner can write you a good tune for your 10lb upgrade. Try Troyer Performance (western virginia), VMP Tuning (florida), JDM (north jersey), and power hungry performance (georgia) for a tune, they all write tunes for SCT devices. If you live any where near these tuners I suggest you go there and have them dyno tune it on the spot, you will be much happier. I went to Troyers shop in virginia and he right off I 64 about 20 miles from the W.V. border in a little town called covinton.

Just make sure you set your truck back to stock, they will send you the new tune via e-mail and you just upload it into your livewire, then just load it into your truck. For a custom tune for SCT devices, you will need to provide your vin and PCM code along with your livewire serial #

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 08-03-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For 10 PSI you need

39lb injectors (atleast)
3.125" Pulley
95MM MAF
SCT Data log tune via Troyer.

Seriously talk to Mike troyer on the phone, the dude knows his **** on F150s. All these people that complain "oh Mike told me not to do it, and I did it anyway and its fine!" Well its your own Truck, he wont do something if he thought it would harm the truck, break your own ****. Justin at VMP probably wont data log tune a whipple (goofy effin tune). Atleast Ive heard Justin say no to alot of custom tunes including me personally. JDM may do it they do Fatherfords truck at 12PSI, and PHP may do it, I've heard nothing but good from them too. However since you have a SCT programmer already, I would say give Mike Troyer a call tomorrow about it. 540-965-7126

Should put you in the park of 400-420RWHP or so. My 10psi pulley is in the mail, however I went 47lb GT500 injectors instead (fit with hats).

My goal is high 12s before I go built motor and trans. Stock fuel system is good to 120MPH and 47lb injectors are a little bit much at this moment. Troyer offers Dual and Tripple hat fuel pumps. Dual is worth 550RWHP and tripple is up to 1000RWHP.

Full bolt ons, fuel pump upgrade, converter (to spin more RPMS not stall Im going stock stall), valve body, better suspension, tires and a good launch and I hope to be in the 12.90s With 6000lbs of fat truck.

Last edited by IR0NS1N; 08-03-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Are there any other people interested in a Whipple group buy? There have been some great buys avail to the lightning folks and JDM is top notch.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum...hlight=whipple

Perhaps if we have enough people interested, one of the vendors would be inspired to give us 04-08 boys some attention! I, for one, would be on board in a new york minute if we could get a whip 3.1 for $2500.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 PM
sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. started a new one.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A higher stall will help that launch, provided you get a converter with a lot of locking capacity. It'll require setting the 1-2 shift point higher, and locking the converter when it shifts to 2nd and 3rd. It can be done with the proper converter. Takes some good tuning with the lockup and shift schedules for city driving so it doesn't rev high all the time, but once done right you'll like it. The higher stall really helps the trucks off the line, but won't help if your converter isn't stout enough to lock 2nd and 3rd at WOT. I wrote my own shift and lockup schedules, not that Mike can't do it (he can), but we ran out of time my last session and I spent a lot of time data logging it back home and wrote my own schedules. It's like a scalded dog now!

With the Roushcharger, a larger MAF isn't required, it has plenty of room. My truck's been to 140+ on the stock fuel pump, 9.5 psi and the Roushcharger. Haven't gone any higher nor do I want to! Got nailed by the Virginia state patrol doing 130 in a 70 and they let me go with a warning! Was heading to Troyer's shop when it happened, and the cop checked out my story (was going there for another session to write an article). Told me it was my lucky day and let me go.... :-) My tires (Z-rated)... don't want to push them, or my luck with the police!

I'm pretty much maxed with the stock pump, next mod is the fuel hat/pump upgrade, and some dyno time to dial it in. Talked to Mike in depth about it (we've actually been talking about it for a long, long time, while he had it under development but I don't spill the beans while something's still confidential). I talked to him about the KB Boost-a-pump as well, since a lot of folks have used that in the past. He says he's seeing a sign wave fluctuation of fuel pressure on the F150 platform that varies from 10 to 15 seconds.... you may not see it on the track but you can have it at high boost longer than that on the street, therefore the fuel hat solution is the best choice when upping the boost, especially if your future goals include much more horsepower.

I'm probably going to go with a ported TB at that time - Mike says he's seeing more boost with that than a ported blower alone since its on the intake side of the blower. Less resistance, and its evidenced by less oil pull through (if you have an air/oil separator that's easily verified). Gotta love that huge Roush intake, it'll flow a lot of air!

If you have any doubts about who's gonna tune it, call each place and talk to the actual person who tunes. Ask a lot of questions, listen carefully and you'll find out real quick who knows the F150 platform the best. Don't go for the cheapest, you'll thank yourself in the long run for getting it done right.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im going bigger throttle body, bigger air intake tube and filter to match my MAF. Problem with troyer is when you talk to him, you spend atleast an hour on the phone but the man seriously knows his F150.

Quick Reply: 10 psi or leave at 8psi