Seriously considering STS turbo, need advice/input

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009 | 09:14 PM
|
Seriously considering STS turbo, need advice/input

As the title states, I am seriously considering purchasing a rear mounted turbo kit from STS. I would like some input from people who actually have one, or people who know a lot more about turbos and such than I do.

I don't want a supercharger or traditional front mounted turbo setup, so the STS is possibly the only way I'd go. I've seen mixed opinons on this type of setup. I would like to hear from someone who actually has one, what they think about it.

Is there lag? I won't be drag racing so a little lag would be ok, just a little though. What about water? Does it run hot enough to be damaged by spashing water or mud, as I would be taking it offroading. Would it be possible to make a sort of box-like shield to protect it from water?

I basicly want tons of power if I chose to lay into it, and increased gas mileage as I do a lot of driving, and a system that will last a long time without casuing damage to the engine or anything else. I know that it would require custom tuning, I'm already in the process of being tuned by Troyer. I would love the sound of a turbo spooling also.

So any advice would be appreciated, even if you don't have one and want to throw in your 2 cents.

Old 08-12-2009 | 10:26 PM
Dont know much about these but the specs on your truck could help, and some one with knowledge could lead you in the right direction.

Old 08-12-2009 | 11:04 PM
|
It's a 2006 Lariat Supercrew short bed, with a 5.4. It has a Rancho suspension lift with 20" wheels and 325/60 R20 tires. At the moment, it only has a Flowmaster SIDO. I have ordered a package from Troyer, which includes a SCT X3 tuner, Dynatech header kit, dual electric fan kit, underdrive pulleys, and an Airaid cold air intake. Of course, if I decide on a turbo, I will not need the headers or Airaid intake.

Old 08-13-2009 | 01:07 AM
No headers will be fine, it replaces the turbo replaces the muffler. A few guys have the STS set up, its real nice and makes alot of power on low boost. Dont buy it for MPG. Thats a horrible reason to get a turbo. The 5-7 grand it cost will never make up for a maybe 1MPG gain when you keep your foot out of it, because you will never keep your foot out of it.

Old 08-13-2009 | 01:31 AM
5 - 7 grand cost is enough to easily have a proper front mounted turbo that would make more power, have fewer potential problems, and don't have to worry about someone swiping the turbo out from under you (it takes minutes with just a cordless impact wrench). Only way I'd go with a STS kit is if I could get it considerably cheaper than any supercharger kit available.

Old 08-13-2009 | 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by justjames80
5 - 7 grand cost is enough to easily have a proper front mounted turbo that would make more power, have fewer potential problems, and don't have to worry about someone swiping the turbo out from under you (it takes minutes with just a cordless impact wrench). Only way I'd go with a STS kit is if I could get it considerably cheaper than any supercharger kit available.
Minutes? How about seconds with a sawzall.....

How great the STS kit sounds, in all reality it will never be as efficient as a front mounted turbo setup. IMO on our trucks it's a waste of money when blower setups are so cheap, and for the same prices as an STS kit you can have someone custom fabricate you a front mount...

Old 08-13-2009 | 10:10 AM
Truck of the Month
if you off road your truck or drive it in the rain then the STS is not for you

I do not havev an STS nor will I ever have one, when I first heard about them I thought they were the coolest thing then I did my research and many people are unhappy with them, there are 2 guys on this site with the STS kit and they are happy witht eh performacne gains but the watter sucking isn't on thier most favorite list

Old 08-13-2009 | 10:27 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
You would have to fab up a skid plate and a snorkel to protect your investment. I second the "not for off road use". These things are for street vehicles. For that kind of cash I would fab up a front mount or get a blower. Oh yea, I did!

Old 08-13-2009 | 12:18 PM
|
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I've decided not to get the kit, to just go with naturally aspirated for now with headers and cold air intake. Maybe later I'll look into a blower.

JMC, that's what I was thinking, a skid plate "box" of sorts, and even a snorkel that went up through the bed. But I don't think I want to risk it. There would probably be clearance issues with a box under there, and I would not want stuff I'm hauling banging around a snorkel. I feel confident that I could make it work, but I don't think I would be happy with it in the end.

A box like I am imagining building would make it much more difficult to steal.

I was thinking the MPG gain would be more than that. I would be heavy on the gas pedal a lot at first and probably every once in a while, but for the most part I would be conservative.

Old 08-13-2009 | 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by joshparton
I would be heavy on the gas pedal a lot at first and probably every once in a while, but for the most part I would be conservative.
I'm almost 50 and have had the blower on for 4 or 5 years and I still cant keep my foot out of it.
Oh yeah,,,I average 5 MPG!

Phil

Old 08-13-2009 | 06:03 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by phil6608
I'm almost 50 and have had the blower on for 4 or 5 years and I still cant keep my foot out of it.
Oh yeah,,,I average 5 MPG!

Phil
53 here and I have the same problem.

Old 08-13-2009 | 08:09 PM
|
Haha, I hear ya. I know I say I'd be conservative, but who am I kidding? I also said I would never drink again after the first time I got drunk, but I lied. I do like the idea of driving conservative, considering gas prices, but yeah, with my personality, I'd probably lay into often.

Old 08-13-2009 | 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
53 here and I have the same problem.
It's not a problem....well maybe for my wife.

Old 08-14-2009 | 03:51 AM
I have the kit. Its fun...but ugh....I wish I would have just gotten a blower. The whole systems sits above the frame except for one tube that goes under the front cross member. I never drive in the rain. Once moisture gets in the pipes its a pain in the **** to get it out. (Hair dryer hooked up to the pipe that goes in the throttle body, on HIGH for an hour). You should never ever use oiled filters on it, because if you do have to drive in the rain, the water gets the oil in the tubing, then on your MAF. It has major cool value, but thats about it. Ive ripped a drive shaft in half, blown the stall and pump on my tranny, been towed two hours back home when I got stuck in a thunderstorm, and just a couple days ago I think my diff blew out. (Fluid is leaking out the front and its making a scary noise) Then again, I ran a 13.4 with no launch at 4800 pounds in the quarter.

Old 08-14-2009 | 09:54 AM
|
Sounds like a lot of hassle and headaches. It definitely does have a lot of cool factor, with the turbo sound and all that power, but I can't have a vehicle that I can't drive in the rain. This is my daily driver, as well as a recreational vehicle, so I need it to be dependable at all times, in all conditions, including an occasional mudhole bustin.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering STS turbo, need advice/input