Lightning conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009 | 10:21 AM
|
Now, a bit of pre planning, as far as intercooler heat exchanger mounting, pretty easy in a 4x4? I'm thinking I gotta get one, might as well get a big Afco or similar which I assume mount easily enough? Also, me having the wider serp. belt won't matter for anything will it, just gotta change the alt. pulley for the wider belt because this setup is off an 03. That's about all I can figure, maybe spark plugs, I can use the ones I normally get or do I need Lightning ones then obviously gapped to Lightning spec.?

Old 10-21-2009 | 11:07 AM
L/HD intercooler mount to brackets which attach to bumper support. As far as belt goes, the L alternator will come with the 8 rib belt, not 6. I switch to 6 for my truck and everything is OK. NGK TR6 should work fine.

Old 10-21-2009 | 09:35 PM
|
OK cool, now next question. I ge this thing, bolt it on, run everything blah blah, now what's to tuning it to run, especially with my 4r70w tranny? I'm close to 2-3+ tuning places, each maybe 2 hrs drive away, not a good idea to drive it there but would it run to get it on a trailer or is there a way of getting a tuner sent to me ready to go? I'm not too up on my tuner knowledge as to who does what and what's available so that's why I ask. I'd assume a dyno tune would be preffered but if it's easier than that, why bother? All this datalogging and emailing tunes is all things I've heard about, kinda looking for some insight on the needed tuning for this swap.

Old 10-21-2009 | 10:34 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
Joel of WP racing can tune your truck to get it running. He lives in Lakeshore. He used to own a dyno shop on North Talbot. He sold it to DC racing and taught them how to tune.

Old 10-22-2009 | 06:36 AM
No real tuning 4r70w required because you should put a shift kit in it and boost pressure to clutches and change shift firmness that way. There are several folks that will work with you on tune over the mail and as you say with datalogging you can get custom updates. Dyno is better for WOT performance, datalogging is probably better for real world daily driving. I said probably. I would not drive for 2 hrs without tune. Injectors and MAF are different.

Old 10-22-2009 | 08:29 AM
|
I have already in place a tranny that needed rebuilding a couple years ago and while doing so told mechanic to beef up now for this day, he did.

JMC, how is Joel for tuning? I've heard not so good by some. He's a nice enough guy, use to work with him actually. I have had SHM do my chip years ago and Paul's HP in Michigan tune my dad's Cobra with unreal results. I'm probably going to Paul's or having like mentioned some over email or phone tuning, we'll see. Thanks guys! Still waiting to hear back when I am getting this thing.

Old 10-23-2009 | 09:25 AM
|
Thumbs up

I actually feel bad, there is a thread just like this a few lines below but didn't want to hijack the thread but more questions. I went through some older mags I have kept (see wifey, keeping mags stored does come in handy!!!), and one thing I saw was the fuel pump. It said there's a need for the harness from pump to the taillights. Now I'm assuming it's because they took everything from a donor Lightning and put it in a 00 Harley truck (longer wire harness needed). This made no sense then going to the taillights which should be the same. Oh well, probably because they went with all factor stuff. My plans are an aftermarket Bosch or ......can't think of the brand 255lph pump which should be plug and play. no?

Also, coils. I just replaced maybe 30k miles ago with Ford ones so I should be ok, right? I think that's it for now, might be getting it this weekend but the install won't be till I accumulate ALL needed stuff and some wanted stuff. Thanks again guys, between this thread and the other(s), it has answered alot of my suspicions.

Old 10-23-2009 | 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
I actually feel bad, there is a thread just like this a few lines below but didn't want to hijack the thread but more questions. I went through some older mags I have kept (see wifey, keeping mags stored does come in handy!!!), and one thing I saw was the fuel pump. It said there's a need for the harness from pump to the taillights. Now I'm assuming it's because they took everything from a donor Lightning and put it in a 00 Harley truck (longer wire harness needed). This made no sense then going to the taillights which should be the same. Oh well, probably because they went with all factor stuff. My plans are an aftermarket Bosch or ......can't think of the brand 255lph pump which should be plug and play. no?

Also, coils. I just replaced maybe 30k miles ago with Ford ones so I should be ok, right? I think that's it for now, might be getting it this weekend but the install won't be till I accumulate ALL needed stuff and some wanted stuff. Thanks again guys, between this thread and the other(s), it has answered alot of my suspicions.
Walbro must be the name you cant remember...lol
This one comes with everything you should need! http://treperformance.com/i-788624-f...1997-2002.html
The stock COPs are the best you can buy IMHO. I'm making big power and still running the stock COPs.

Phil

Last edited by phil6608; 10-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2009 | 10:51 AM
COPS are same on all and Motocraft are good enough. No need for any harness if you keep single pump, L has 2-155lph pumps with second run off of boost. Most of us run a single 255lph and that works just fine.

Old 10-23-2009 | 01:39 PM
|
Alright, ya Walbro, that's the one! I'll plan on that too. Thanks again guys! Good link Phil, probably the cheapest I've seen.

Last edited by BLUE20004X4; 10-23-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2009 | 09:24 AM
|
A bit of an update, I got it last weekend. Everything looks good, got somethings I probably would of had a hard time getting and missing a few things too. I need injectors, probably a good idea to get new anyways, a MAF sensor, fuel rail, IC heat exchanger (that's ok too, because I want an AFCO) and an Lightning idler pulley bracket, did get the tensioner to it though. Not a bad setup for $600 which has blower, intakes both top and bottom and a intercooler, plus alternator. I'll have to hit up Mad Enterprises for the rest of the missing stuff. I even got the cruise cable and box, plus throttle cable and IC pump (i think). Now, over time I can accumulate the rest and pretty sure I'll be building at least a better bottom end from a spare block I have, heads I'll swap over with maybe some cams. I'll have to get some pics anyways.

Oh ya, forgot, is the MAF sensor plug the same from my 2000 to a Lightning, 2003? Isn't the Lightning 6 pin and a regular 4 pin? I've seen them for sale, the MAF for a L with a plug and wires to tap into the harness, was unsure why they'd include this sometimes and not always.

Last edited by BLUE20004X4; 10-31-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-31-2009 | 09:39 AM
Truck of the Month
the 90mm SVT MAF should plug right in, if you're gonna be running more power than stock might as well get a larger MAF

I have a spare pulley bridge

Old 10-31-2009 | 06:04 PM
can a 4 valve motor be supercharged with the stock intake manifold?
looking at wanting to goto either the 3 or 4 valve heads on a basic stock build up.

Old 11-01-2009 | 10:41 PM
|
Originally Posted by tarajerame
the 90mm SVT MAF should plug right in, if you're gonna be running more power than stock might as well get a larger MAF

I have a spare pulley bridge
Yep, gonna go that route, 90mm and 42 lbs, Blue oval industries on ebay has the pair for $309. How much $$$ you looking for that idler pulley bridge?

Old 11-02-2009 | 08:25 AM
This is a plug and play. If you use the NA engine harness you might need to extend IAT harness. First you need to decide which IAT you are going to run. NA ECM only has one in Air Box, Lightning has one there and an additional one in intake. You must pick. If you use L harness it will default to air box and you nay have to extend oil pressure pickup line. Tuner needs to know which IAT you want to run. Pros and Cons for both.

Quick Reply: Lightning conversion questions