1997 5.4 turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010 | 10:48 PM
|
1997 5.4 turbo question

:hi still unsure what I want to do with my truck, this is the latest idea I've tossed around in my head while working (work witha band saw 12 hrs a day, great time to day dream huh) What about a turbo set up under the bed of my truck. Here's what I have so far.

1997 5.4 xlt 4x4.
remote oiling system with cooler (off of my TT draggin wagon, RIP)
I can fab up all pipes and redo the exhaust.
And ebay turbos suck (Demise of the draggin wagon)

here's were you guys come in:
can my stock set up hold 4 or 5 lbs of boost
I have true dual exhaust, so should I run Twins or (reluctantly) Y my exhaust back together to run a single turbo.
what size turbo should I use and what is a good brand.
can one of the diesel turbos work.

I'm not looking for extremely high numbers, maybe justa bump in power. this is just a messing around idea, not wanting to run this 1/4 in the 13's or nothing, justa small project. so what ever info you have to offer would be well appriciated

Old 02-16-2010 | 02:16 AM
Well......... I just had a supercharger installed. I haven't took it to the track or have it dynoed but........................ I'm already looking at headers and other things to boost power. I think its addictive speed and power, so jusst a little project can spend alot of money fast. Heck I got over a thousand dollars invested in a prop for my boat to gain1 or 2 mph not counting my other props i got.

Old 02-16-2010 | 03:42 AM
Truck of the Month
it's never about how much boost can your truck handle, it's about how much power will it handle safely (depending on your tune and supporting mods)

Old 02-16-2010 | 08:27 AM
^^^ true...

Honestly... if it is a 97 ud be better served going with some cams and PI heads... if u already havent...

instead of dumping all that cash in a turbo..... or do a L swap.....

But if u wanna do something like that.. more power to u... just keep us informed

Old 02-16-2010 | 08:32 AM
|
Originally Posted by Rambo274
Well......... I just had a supercharger installed. I haven't took it to the track or have it dynoed but........................ I'm already looking at headers and other things to boost power. I think its addictive speed and power, so jusst a little project can spend alot of money fast. Heck I got over a thousand dollars invested in a prop for my boat to gain1 or 2 mph not counting my other props i got.
yeah, but that addiction is fueled by my mustang GT. I just installed cams, headers, and a new tune, cai, 3.73 gears, ect. it will out run every modded diesel in town. I've already got the set up mapped out in my mind, but just need help on the details. I'm not wanting to run high levels of boost not due to power. I have another motor ready to drop in, but dont see the since in getting rid of the old one since its still in good shape, and I would rather test "new ideas" on the motor in the truck.

Old 02-16-2010 | 11:54 AM
i'd say y-piped exhaust going into a single turbo with the cats mounted after the turbo for faster spool up, and keep the turbo as close to the engine as possible... also do you get alot of rain or snow , or drive through big puddles or rivers, cause under the bed setups have been know to suck water, and the filters get clogged up with snow. also people can steal the turbos easily, i'm not trying to steer you away from this set up, just think your way through it very, very carefully.

Old 02-16-2010 | 12:39 PM
|
little percipitation, not alot of poeple around here even know what a turbo is, and my nearest neighbor is 1.5 miles away in a straight line through the woods. plus I garage the truck during the night.
I gues what I am asking is what size turbo should I use? I'm not looking for high levels of boost, and I know the extra pipe needed for the turbo to feed the motor will cause severe lag compared to a front mounted set up. but I'm unsure what size I need. a small turbo will spool up faster, but will top out sooner, but if its to small I'm afraid it won't push enough air to create boost.

I will proboly fab up some sort of a shield to prevent anything from reaching the filter

Last edited by Little Luke; 02-16-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2010 | 01:13 PM
Truck of the Month
you want at least a 67mm or 70mm turbo (A/R deciding) ensure you intercool it and run larger injectors, fuel pump, blow thru MAF, custom tune etc

Old 02-16-2010 | 03:15 PM
|
thats another thing I ment to ask, how would i go about getting a custome tune?
No shop nearby owns a dyno for a dyno tune. can I use an internet tune for a blown application? Or how would you go about it?

Old 02-16-2010 | 03:22 PM
Truck of the Month
you can have a tune emailed to you from a reputable tuner, then after multiple datalogs (and adjustments if needed) you'll be good to go, none of my trucks have ever been on a dyno...

Old 02-21-2010 | 12:35 AM
Ive also been kicking around this idea. I have an 03 and would like to add a little more power. I figured the fuel system would need an upgrade, but what about the intake and heads? and how much boost could you run safetly?

Old 02-21-2010 | 02:23 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by firecop418
Ive also been kicking around this idea. I have an 03 and would like to add a little more power. I figured the fuel system would need an upgrade, but what about the intake and heads? and how much boost could you run safetly?
what supporting mods???? how aggressive is the tune going to be??

I'm running 15# on my stock long block and trans in my 2001

Old 02-21-2010 | 11:09 AM
its completely stock right now. I dont know how aggressive it would be I want to wake it up but it is my DD

Old 02-21-2010 | 11:16 AM
Truck of the Month
try the gotts mod, and see how you like it then...

Old 02-21-2010 | 11:57 AM
I want more than that. My father had an 01 with a rockit (i believe that was the name of it) intake that had 2 k&n filters that lined up with the scoops on the ram air hood with a custom tune by troyer performance e fans and underdrive pullies and shift kit. so I know what all that did. what I'm really wanting to know is how much boost should I aim for to keep it streetable and not have to start upgrading the trans and go into the motor? I plan on doing headers and straight exhaust after the turbo. leaving the cats if possible

Quick Reply: 1997 5.4 turbo question