2.2 Kenne Bell Supercharger Install on 2003 F-150 Supercrew (Finally!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010 | 11:38 AM
Looks pretty good. The only thing that doesn't set well with me is that they're driving the blower off the alternator. That's a lot of stress to be putting on the bearings in that alt (which aren't very good at all).

Oh yeah, and mounting it on top of a plastic intake.....yeah that intake is gonna go boom lol

Last edited by Chris123NT; 03-26-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2010 | 12:39 PM
Is that KB intercoolered? If not, why have the L&S on it? Also, i'd be pretty pissed that the tuner IM paying doesnt turn off the EGR in MY tune. I'd find a new tuner! Also did he tell you why he choose the plugs he told you to run? Most boosted guys i know run NGK TR6s.

Wayne

Old 03-26-2010 | 01:23 PM
Sounds great

Old 03-26-2010 | 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Z7What
Is that KB intercoolered? If not, why have the L&S on it? Also, i'd be pretty pissed that the tuner IM paying doesnt turn off the EGR in MY tune. I'd find a new tuner! Also did he tell you why he choose the plugs he told you to run? Most boosted guys i know run NGK TR6s.

Wayne
I have seen the EGR delete argued back and forth for some time. It does clean up the engine bay, but that's about all you gain.
I run the TR6's with good results.

Here's a reply from james@sct on another forum:

Most likely it will not pass an IM test. The EGR is there to reduce your Oxides of nitrogen. This is mainly produced during cruising RPM, and light load. The IM240 test is designed to instigate situations such as this. This is also assuming that they do not plug in and check to see if the monitors are passing. If you have shut off that system. the computer will tell them that it has not passed (because it never ran the test). Shutting off the system will keep the system from functioning, and keep it from setting the CEL, but that is why they run the tests.

As a side note, I would recommend leaving the EGR in place. You will not see a noticeable power gain by removing the EGR. The valve is closed at WOT anyway, and the temperature difference is minimal. You will, however notice a reduction in fuel economy with it disabled.

James

Old 03-26-2010 | 06:14 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Z7What

Wayne
I just wanted to keep the oil out of the blower. Also what what I read, oil in the intake can lower the octane levels of the mixture in the cylinder. Increasing the chance of detonation.

Not sure on plugs. That's just what he said to use. I have read they are for supercharged applications. I'd bet the NGK TR6's are equivalent.

Old 03-26-2010 | 06:15 PM
|

Originally Posted by Chris123NT
Looks pretty good. The only thing that doesn't set well with me is that they're driving the blower off the alternator. That's a lot of stress to be putting on the bearings in that alt (which aren't very good at all).

Oh yeah, and mounting it on top of a plastic intake.....yeah that intake is gonna go boom lol
I almost think this setup would be better for the alternator. now it has two opposing forces pulling at the pulley, helping to balance out the stresses.

Just a thought......

Old 03-26-2010 | 06:18 PM
|

Originally Posted by masterbeatty
thats bad ***. any way you could get some pics of where all the hoses go and send it to me when you have some time. i love that sound
yea I'll get ya set up man.

it will take some time though. if ya don't see anything by the middle of next week or so bug me again.

Old 03-26-2010 | 09:41 PM
Soooo nice man!

...one day...

Old 03-27-2010 | 11:55 PM
2009 F150online Truck of the Year
Truck of the Month
Sounds great, congrats again!

I run the NGK TR6's as well, great plug!

Old 03-29-2010 | 02:37 PM
Looks good man!

Old 03-29-2010 | 03:09 PM
wow sounds crazy.

My wallet doesn't need me browsing this section of F150online

Old 03-29-2010 | 11:37 PM
|

Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
wow sounds crazy.

your telling me!!

a year ago I responded to an ad to sell this thing as a joke.

Next thing I knew I had spent the money.

Old 03-30-2010 | 12:17 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
Here's a reply from james@sct on another forum:

Most likely it will not pass an IM test. The EGR is there to reduce your Oxides of nitrogen. This is mainly produced during cruising RPM, and light load. The IM240 test is designed to instigate situations such as this. This is also assuming that they do not plug in and check to see if the monitors are passing. If you have shut off that system. the computer will tell them that it has not passed (because it never ran the test). Shutting off the system will keep the system from functioning, and keep it from setting the CEL, but that is why they run the tests.

As a side note, I would recommend leaving the EGR in place. You will not see a noticeable power gain by removing the EGR. The valve is closed at WOT anyway, and the temperature difference is minimal. You will, however notice a reduction in fuel economy with it disabled.

James
Im getting sick from all the B.S. im being fed.....

If it is changed in the PCM as not equipped then it will pass the OBD2 monitor tests. Thats the point of going in and altering the PCM, and paying someone to do it.

Old 03-30-2010 | 12:18 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by efuehrin
here's the test start up. At least part of it.

I warned you it's not too exciting.

click here
sweet grill where did you get it?

Old 03-30-2010 | 12:21 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
wow sounds crazy.

but your truck couls actually use forced induction

Quick Reply: 2.2 Kenne Bell Supercharger Install on 2003 F-150 Supercrew (Finally!)