Procharger locked up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree JMC. The more cfms is what your actually looking for and not all psi, but you still have to have some pressure to be able to force into the cylinders what they can't naturally suck in. Sort of like inducing a higher compression ratio. Anyway, I hope I have as good as an experience as everyone here has had with their customer service. This has been my first with a centrifugal charger. Was going to go with a supercharger, but this looked way too easy to do and I could return it to stock without having to tear apart the motor, which has worked to my advantage so far. Just didn't expect it so soon!!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:22 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No argument here. Too bad you didn't have the dedicated belt system. If mine fails I can simply move the MAF to the other side of the blower and it becomes a Naturally Aspirated vehicle.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Well did a little cleaning up in my shop today and started looking over the Procharger stuff that I had to take off to return my truck back to stock so that the supercharger could be re-built. Low and behold as I'm looking at the surge valve, I find that the linkage that actuates the butterfly is just hanging and not connected to the diaphragm! Apparently when they assembled the surge valve they didn't tighten the screws too well on the linkage and it came loose. This would explain why it sounded like a bunch of tin cans rattling in my truck when it went lean and the boost came on sooner than the fuel curve. Wish I would have taken some pictures of it before I fixed it, to send to ATI. I can't believe as much as they preach about using threadlock in their instruction manuals that they would have at least done the same on something this important. Apparently, my set-up was done on a Monday or Friday!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This would explain why it sounded like a bunch of tin cans rattling in my truck when it went lean and the boost came on sooner than the fuel curve.

I'm not sure that is how it works as the maf is controlling fuel. Without a bypass function the blower is pumping air when the throttle blade closes with nowhere for the air to go. So the air backs up in the intake tract and puts lateral pressure against the impellar and the bearings.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
[QUOTE=ONELOWF;4268993]This would explain why it sounded like a bunch of tin cans rattling in my truck when it went lean and the boost came on sooner than the fuel curve.

I'm not sure that is how it works as the maf is controlling fuel. Without a bypass function the blower is pumping air when the throttle blade closes with nowhere for the air to go. So the air backs up in the intake tract and puts lateral pressure against the impellar and the bearings.[/QUOTE

Compressor surge. Kills Turbos and Superchargers. There should have been a fluttering sound when you let off the throttle.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 AM
On my set-up, the surge valve is fully open until the vacuum in the engine drops then the surge valve closes allowing the boost to go to the engine. My surge valve is between the charger and the intercooler. When the linkage came loose the surge valve couldn't open and let the boost stay on (albeit small at low rpms) and leaned out the mixture causing major engine ping! You're right, it didn't help the supercharger either when I did let off the throttle. Well it will be one less thing to worry about now! I used blue loctite on all those little bolts.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the linkage came loose the surge valve couldn't open and let the boost stay on (albeit small at low rpms) and leaned out the mixture causing major engine ping!

At this point it's academic, but

Fuel is controlled by either the O2 sensors in closed loop operation or the maf in open loop and transient operation. If the air keeps coming through those devices they continue to add fuel. I don't see how a lean condition would exist....more air gets more fuel. Maybe I'm missing something.

What you had was compressor surge which is a situation where the s/c is working against itself and hammering the bearings back and forth. The detonation sound could have been anything and the fluttering JMC describes is noticeable on deceleration.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:07 PM
But isn't the new '09s also throttle position regulated since it's fly-by-wire? I would think it couldn't help but get a little lean by more air when the throttle position and maf are telling it 2 different things. No doubt the surge valve is what was the demise of the blower. I imagined everytime I let off the gas that thing probably back-pressured up quite a bit against a closed throttle body. Oh well, now if ATI would call me back to let me know when I'm getting the blower back. Anticipation is killing me!!!

Quick Reply: Procharger locked up!