Procharger locked up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Procharger locked up!

Major frustration this Friday. Got ready to take my truck to the track to see what it could do and my Procharger started making an awful racket. Sounded like someone had thrown a bunch of bolts and nuts inside. Tried revving the engine a couple of time and sure enough the boost was erratic. Had to take it all back down and put my truck back to stock as it is my daily driver. Never even got out of the driveway to the track. I'm totally pissed as it has only been on the truck about 2 months. It didn't quite fully lock up, but it stalled enough to strip out the 2 middle ribs of the belt. I guess this thing can't take the Louisiana heat!
When I took it off the bracket, it looked like the seal around the driveshaft had started leaking. Checked the oil, but the level was where it should be. Does anyone know if ATI is a pain to deal with on warranty claims? Wondering, how long does it take for them to rebuild this thing? P-1SC-1 that is.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Not sure but I hate this happen.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear this! I have had mine for a month and so far so good. My friend with the T-bird i told you about has been dealing with Pro-charger for over three years now and has always had outstanding customer service and support on any problems he ever had.Hope this gets fixed soon for you.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:06 PM
I hope they can get back to me pretty quick once I get it sent out. I've had good luck so far with them on getting the tune right, I just hope it is the same with getting the blower rebuilt. When I turn the input shaft I can tell it feels like it's grinding. Also if I hold back on the fan it has some slack in it when I turn the shaft. So now I'm thinking that maybe it has stripped a gear and a bad bearing.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 PM
I’ve heard from friends that ATi is good to deal with unlike POS vortech who can never give the same answer twice to any of my questions. My buddy’s been running the non self lubed ati unit on his firebird for almost 8 years now and beat it hear and there in the hot desert heat of Reno. I’ve been using a 2.50 pulley on my truck for about a year now and it gets hot but I had it moded by any aftermarket company. I hope they cover it all and if you did pulley it down slap the stock one on before sending it in. just my 2 cents. Best of luck

BTW the transmission could be very well be the next thing to go just like mine $3K and I'm having to let it rot until I save up the cash for the beefed up rebuild. =(

Old 06-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Nonwoven29 I had the factory pulley from ATI on it. I'm just hoping that maybe I had gotten hold of one with a bad input shaft bearing or or bad gear cut or something. Something easy they can figure out. I haven't pushed it much since I put it in other than the 2 dyno runs and a couple back road blasts to see how good it kicks in, so I don't know what happened. I did order mine with the helical gear cut for less noise. I had just changed the oil for the second time so it only had about 5000 miles on it.

Last edited by atvtinker; 06-21-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: changed straight to helical
Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 AM
Contributor

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
if you've sent it back, go ahead and have it converted to a D1SC-1 you'll be grateful later on...

ATI is usually really really good on warranty work

Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks tarajerame. Contacted them this morning and they are sending me the Fedex tag to send it back, so no freight charge. Looking at the specs between the P-1SC1 and the D-1SC1, they are about the same. The P series actually has a higher impeller speed even though it has a smaller body size, but there is only 200 cfm difference. They both have the same max boost of 32 psi. When I originally ordered my kit, I wanted the dedicated drive kit with the 3 core intercooler but the guy said I didn't need it for what I was going to do with it. I wish now I would have insisted on it. I hear there is a lot more I could have done with that kit later on.

Last edited by atvtinker; 06-21-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^Is 32 psi a typo? Creative advertising?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM
That's just what their website says. I believe you would have to spool that puppy up to about 10,000 rpms to get that, something my motor is not capable of, but a built motor could do. In fact if you go by the ratio given for the drive, it would probably have to be more like 15,000 rpms.

Last edited by atvtinker; 06-23-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:53 AM
I would think with the step up ratio ati use you wouldn’t need to pulley down as much.
Your head unit should be around 4 to1 where my vortech is something like 3.50 to 1
What this means to you is that your ati will spool up faster then a vortech. BTW I’m pretty sure even with a $20K built 5.4 you would never be able to get close to 10K rpms with one seeing how the stroke is way too long. That’s why the 4.6 engines rev up to around 7 grand way shorter stroke. The 5.4 power band is real good from 1800 to 3500rpms.

Another thing to consider is the claimed psi a given blower can produce is on a certain engine with certain mods or lack there of. IE if you have cats you’ll see more back psi which is not a good thing, headers intake manifold used and so on. I actually saw a psi drop by ditching the cats and using a 3 1/2 exhaust but my hp went up with showing less restriction on the gauge. Check this link for more info.

I really like the step up ati uses it would seem to spool up faster then all the competitions but I already have a vortech so there’s no use going back now.

As far as worrying about the 200cfm difference between the 2 ati head units I would have to agree with the other poster you’ll sooner or later want that extra air and 200 cfm is almost a 20% air flow increase a major diff even if it doesn’t seem to be on paper.

http://www.928motorsports.com/servic...ml#Boost_Gauge
http://www.928motorsports.com/servic...eed_Calculator
Read all this stuff above it will really open your eyes on the subject. Remember once your a fool for spool youll always want more no mater what. Trust me.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 PM
damn that sux man. i bought a rebuilt P1SC kit for 2100 bucks and ive had it on almost 2 years now with no troubles.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 AM
I think the main turbine bearing must have been bad. When I took it off the bracket, there looked like some kind of red grease seeping out the back of the unit right in the middle from behind a badge. Haven't heard from them yet.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 AM
Talked to ATI today and they said it will be at least 3 weeks before I will know anything. Won't be able to tear into it until later this week or first of next week. Apparently, they have a lot of returns? This doesn't sound good!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Out of curiosity I called ATI this morning. The 30 psi is the amount of pressure the blower will endure before it self destructs. It is not a guarantee that that blower will ever produce that amount of boost an a given application. A lot of ignorant people judge a blower by the amount of boost it will produce. I am more interested in the total cfm it will flow. FWIW I purchased my blower second hand but I have had excellent customer service from ATI.

Quick Reply: Procharger locked up!