4.2 supercharger or turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010 | 08:43 AM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2 supercharger or turbocharger?

I'm sure this is probley an old subject but I cant seem to find an answer anywhere. I have a 2002 f150 with a 4.2 V6. I want ether a supercharger or a turbo which ever would be better. I'm looking for more low end power. I was thinking of a tuner but IDK how much of a difference that would make. Alone that is. So sorry if I'm digging up old news but I would like to know if a kit exists and where to get it.

Old 09-02-2010 | 10:56 AM
superchargers and turbos can be done on v6s but will have to be custom made. and will cost you upwards of $5000, a tuner will only cost between $300-$500. and you'd need a custom tune if you went boosted anyways. get a tuner it's the best bang for your buck.

Old 09-02-2010 | 11:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

there was/is a company that makes an adapter plate for the lightning eaton and that alone is 900 plus the charger and all the other parts looking in the 2500 plus range. but it can be done. its almost like how the mustang guys do FI on the 3.8 v6. similar motor but it has rightside intake and not driver side like the 4.2 and trucks

Old 09-02-2010 | 09:09 PM
A S/C'd F-150 running 4 PSI, which is about max if not running fuel upgrades will still not be faster than a stock V8 Singlecab. Your going to need more than just a slap on charger. The kit is made by Supersix Motorsports.

Old 09-03-2010 | 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by BlueOval_Man
A S/C'd F-150 running 4 PSI, which is about max if not running fuel upgrades will still not be faster than a stock V8 Singlecab. Your going to need more than just a slap on charger. The kit is made by Supersix Motorsports.
You get me so confused when you speak...

Since when would a eaton adapted to a 4.2 only make 4 PSI? Maybe it would only make 4PSI at like 2800 rpms, but all you would have to do is get a pulley and all of that changes. Even if you arent running fuel upgrades those dont effect your ability to make boost.. they only affect the ability to mix the gas efficiently into the boost to make good power out of it.

If a procharger would work on a 4.2 the only "fuel upgrade" he would need is a boost-a-pump which take about a whole 5 minutes to put on. After that a FMU would need to be installed, but whoop-dee.

Turbos have the ability to spool up to an insane rpm so turbos would have no problem running 4PSI or 30 for that matter. Its all a matter of what the engine can handle because theres no way a stock 4.2, much less a well built one, could handle 30 PSI very long. And trust me.. if you can find an engine that can handle that then you wont find a tranny that will.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but why do you insist on throwing out how fast your stock v8 singlecab is? You are boasting about 200 horsepower like your have more than every one else, and I dont understand. Its not like this guy ask to race you or anything.. he just wants to know how to make some good torque out of his 4.2. A supercharger or a turbo could EASILY do that for him provided that he can get one for his engine. I wont sit here and try to act like I know it all, but I just personally installed a procharger and have been conversing with tuners and other people with S/C's on their trucks.. so I think I have a run around. I have plenty of power adders on my truck and you wont see me going around running peoples noses into the ground when they try to get a simple answer. Let your truck do the talking my friend.. no need for you to.

Old 09-03-2010 | 03:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A S/C'd F-150 running 4 PSI, which is about max if not running fuel upgrades will still not be faster than a stock V8 Singlecab.
might wanna come up here and test that theory. i went out to a street race tonight, and im not as slow as I think i am...

Old 09-03-2010 | 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by b2therad
You get me so confused when you speak...

Since when would a eaton adapted to a 4.2 only make 4 PSI? Maybe it would only make 4PSI at like 2800 rpms, but all you would have to do is get a pulley and all of that changes. Even if you arent running fuel upgrades those dont effect your ability to make boost.. they only affect the ability to mix the gas efficiently into the boost to make good power out of it.

If a procharger would work on a 4.2 the only "fuel upgrade" he would need is a boost-a-pump which take about a whole 5 minutes to put on. After that a FMU would need to be installed, but whoop-dee.

Turbos have the ability to spool up to an insane rpm so turbos would have no problem running 4PSI or 30 for that matter. Its all a matter of what the engine can handle because theres no way a stock 4.2, much less a well built one, could handle 30 PSI very long. And trust me.. if you can find an engine that can handle that then you wont find a tranny that will.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but why do you insist on throwing out how fast your stock v8 singlecab is? You are boasting about 200 horsepower like your have more than every one else, and I dont understand. Its not like this guy ask to race you or anything.. he just wants to know how to make some good torque out of his 4.2. A supercharger or a turbo could EASILY do that for him provided that he can get one for his engine. I wont sit here and try to act like I know it all, but I just personally installed a procharger and have been conversing with tuners and other people with S/C's on their trucks.. so I think I have a run around. I have plenty of power adders on my truck and you wont see me going around running peoples noses into the ground when they try to get a simple answer. Let your truck do the talking my friend.. no need for you to.
Sorry.

On a stock fuel system a 4.2 can only run 4 PSi stock.

Old 09-03-2010 | 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
might wanna come up here and test that theory. i went out to a street race tonight, and im not as slow as I think i am...
Single cab V6 5 speed with e-fans and smaller tires than you got spanked by me. I dont think your tuner makes up for your half cab and if it does then not by much. Dont worry little buddy I'll be up there soon Alex. Hopefully.

Old 09-03-2010 | 10:24 AM
|
Thanks for the guys that actually gave advice. Very helpfull. I apperiate it.

As for blue ovals (I think thats a metaphore for no *****) get a life.

Old 09-03-2010 | 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by jpaytoncfd

Um.. okay. I gave you safe PSi to push w/o fuel upgrades, and the company that makes the adaptor plate (w/Jakes help). Blue-oval is Ford dumbass, all im tring to say is for 5k dollars you could do a motor swap, and build up a V8 that will sound good.

Old 09-03-2010 | 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the same 5K he could build a pretty nasty turbo setup. Especially if he can weld/fabricate. Your V8 isn't the end all be all.

Old 09-03-2010 | 01:35 PM
For 5k he could push what like 275 Hp, verus... modded 5.4..?

Old 09-03-2010 | 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jpaytoncfd

Flip you need to watch what you saw and who you pick fights with. No one is scared of your reg cab 4.6.

Old 09-03-2010 | 02:07 PM
He should get a life and stop worring about making his V6 fast.

I in no way am saying the 4.6 is fast. But if he started out at a REG. Cab 5.4 he would be so much happier than a 4.2 what ever he has.

Old 09-04-2010 | 12:07 AM
Sorry.

On a stock fuel system a 4.2 can only run 4 PSi stock.
Dude... wtf. I just took the time to explain to you that the "stock fuel system" can do what ever the **** it wants. It has nothing to do with making boost. Boost is a measurement of the mass of air being forced into your intake. You can run 648 PSI on the stock fuel system if you wanted to.. but it wont be able to keep up with the fuel air ration.And besides.. after he has spent 5k on this sick turbo or s/c set-up then who really cares about getting new injectors or a different fuel pump. All that stuff is minuscule comparatively to the work, parts, and prices involved in a custom set-up, which is exactly what any kind of FI would be on a 4.2.And just because he has a 4.2 doesn't mean he cant make good horsepower or torque. Who told you that you can only run 4PSI anyways?

Last edited by b2therad; 09-04-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.2 supercharger or turbocharger?