Nitrous On a 2005 Supercab with a 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011 | 02:52 PM
|
Nitrous On a 2005 Supercab with a 5.4

I have a 2005 F150 with a 5.4. I am looking at running a 75 -150 shot of nitrous on my truck. I am not sure if I should buy a kit or have one put together for me. My dad knows a shop that sells nitrous equipment and they told me they could make a kit for me to run a wet or dry system for whatever needs I have. I was told a 75 shot should be ok as long as the truck is tuned properly. I currently have an AFE intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Hi flow cats, 3 in y pipe back exhaust into a magnaflow muffler dumped under the bed, with an electric cutout right after the y pipe. It doesn't seem like nitrous is a big hit with people these days. My dad has been running it on and off for years using a 2 stage system with a 250 shot each stage on his 71 big block cougar and he currently has a 427 windsor based stroker motor running a 250 shot in a 2200 lb kit car. so nitrous seems to be in my family's blood line. I wanna get my feet wet by using it on my F150 first for mild weekend play, then maybe attempt a bigger system in my ranger after i drop in the stroker motor.

How well would the stock 5.4 hold up to a 75 shot vs 100-150 shot? Would the stock internals hold up to nitrous usage? What are the weak points in a 5.4 internals? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bleedingblue; 04-02-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2011 | 04:58 PM
I was thinking about installing a dry 50 shot on my 2007 5.4L. I know some people are running blowers on mostly stock engines and making about 400HP. I think the main issue you are going to have with 150HP is that even though it is not a super amount of horsepower, its a decent amount. I am assuming you are making 300HP stock, with a 150 shot, that will be 450. You will probably want to beef up the fuel injection system for it, because I think a 150 shot would really lean out the truck. Running it lean would raise temperatures up a lot and then you will be replacing pistons in no time.

Old 04-05-2011 | 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by bleedingblue
I have a 2005 F150 with a 5.4. I am looking at running a 75 -150 shot of nitrous on my truck. I am not sure if I should buy a kit or have one put together for me. My dad knows a shop that sells nitrous equipment and they told me they could make a kit for me to run a wet or dry system for whatever needs I have. I was told a 75 shot should be ok as long as the truck is tuned properly. I currently have an AFE intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Hi flow cats, 3 in y pipe back exhaust into a magnaflow muffler dumped under the bed, with an electric cutout right after the y pipe. It doesn't seem like nitrous is a big hit with people these days. My dad has been running it on and off for years using a 2 stage system with a 250 shot each stage on his 71 big block cougar and he currently has a 427 windsor based stroker motor running a 250 shot in a 2200 lb kit car. so nitrous seems to be in my family's blood line. I wanna get my feet wet by using it on my F150 first for mild weekend play, then maybe attempt a bigger system in my ranger after i drop in the stroker motor.

How well would the stock 5.4 hold up to a 75 shot vs 100-150 shot? Would the stock internals hold up to nitrous usage? What are the weak points in a 5.4 internals? Any information is greatly appreciated.
DO NOT run a dry shot....you will end up blowing the motor. The wet kits ensure that the engine receives the fuel and the nitrous at the same time. In other words, if your engine gets all nitrous and no fuel, it will run lean, and pop.

That being said, ALWAYS prepare for the worst. Meaning this: have back up money for a new engine or tranny if **** hits the fan. I don't mean to scare you, because I have dealt with nitrous and IT IS SAFE, you just have to do it PROPERLY.

Your truck can easily handle a 75 wet shot with the stock internals. It will handle a 100 shot as well. 125 is rolling the dice. 150 is a definite boom. You can get a nitrous express universal wet kit from summitracing for about $500 . Then you will need a WOT switch and window switch. Do not cheap out on nitrous, you NEED these parts for safety. If you live in colder temperature weather, you may also need a bottle warmer.

Just do some research before you dive into it. Take your time, and make sure you have ALL the parts you need before the install. If you run a 75 shot you will be totally fine, given that you have everything installed properly. NEVER spray below 3000 RPM and NEVER spray over redline. You can set the intervals with the window switch. I hope this helps!

Old 04-05-2011 | 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ford12508
I was thinking about installing a dry 50 shot on my 2007 5.4L. I know some people are running blowers on mostly stock engines and making about 400HP. I think the main issue you are going to have with 150HP is that even though it is not a super amount of horsepower, its a decent amount. I am assuming you are making 300HP stock, with a 150 shot, that will be 450. You will probably want to beef up the fuel injection system for it, because I think a 150 shot would really lean out the truck. Running it lean would raise temperatures up a lot and then you will be replacing pistons in no time.
First off, don't run a dry shot, it's a sure way to F**k up your engine.

Second off, a 150 shot WILL blow a piston on a stock engine.

Old 04-06-2011 | 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by slothman86
First off, don't run a dry shot, it's a sure way to F**k up your engine.

Second off, a 150 shot WILL blow a piston on a stock engine.
I have to agree.
Never a dry shot!
And 150,,,you can run it....but for how long is the question .....lol

Phil

Old 04-07-2011 | 06:38 AM
The rule of thumb, if you want a proper operating nitrous system, expect to spend near $1000.

For the best/safest nitrous system, one can spend much much more.

Dry shots can actually be safer IF your computer and factory fuel system can handle it. Your factory computer and injectors aren't up to the task.

Old 04-07-2011 | 02:12 PM
IMO anything over 125 shot and you need direct port nitrous injection for equal distribution in the intake

Old 04-07-2011 | 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by slothman86
IMO anything over 125 shot and you need direct port nitrous injection for equal distribution in the intake
Maybe with 1980 spray nozzles...

We used to typically spray 200 with nozzles, then 300 or so with throttle body plates(up to 400 in some cases). Depends on the intake design.

<----used to work at a nitrous company.

Old 04-07-2011 | 07:11 PM
Id listen to fatherford on this

Old 04-08-2011 | 10:56 AM
|
i appreciate all the info. i think i may just keep the f150 as is for now. i am a little nervous about things going south. I guess I will wait until I drop the stroker into my ranger. It has forged internals and should hold up alot better. I know my dad has used nitrous several times in the past over the past 20 yrs. I will pick his brain and see how is stroker motor holds up in his kit car on a 250 shot. I plan on going to the guy my dad uses for his bottle refills and other nitrous parts he buys.

Old 10-23-2013 | 08:08 PM
Thumbs up

i appreciate all the info. i think i may just keep the f150 as is for now. i am a little nervous about things going south. I guess I will wait until I drop the stroker into my ranger. It has forged internals and should hold up alot better. I know my dad has used nitrous several times in the past over the past 20 yrs. I will pick his brain and see how is stroker motor holds up in his kit car on a 250 shot. I plan on going to the guy my dad uses for his bottle refills and other nitrous parts he buys.
I just bought a Nitrous Express Proton Plus wet nozzle kit for my 2005 f-150. Their kits are the best quality of all the brands I've used and they stand behind their products. They are also rated at rwhp hp levels. Their 125 will easily perform with a nos 150 kit no problem. They also sell a fuel pressure sensor adapter that allows you to tap into the factory fuel setup with a 4an hookup. I plan to put a bbk 300 LPh in tank fuel pump along with a nitrous window switch for safety. My truck is tuned by Mike Rousch in Richmond,Va with a sct handheld tuner.

A stock late model 4.6 with the beefy rods can handle a 150 jet no problem. If you decide to go the nitrous route plan to spend a good chunk of money to do it safely and correctly. Just take your time and don't rush the install. The guys at NX will answer any and all questions for anyone considering going the nitrous route. Just remember if you plan to spray it a lot a rouschcharger for 3k might be a better option. Most are making 350-525 rwhp on pump gas reliably with no issues. Just be sure to use a reputable tuner for sure. The engine life Is for the most part dictated by your tuner mostly.

And lastly take it to the track because no ticket is worth winning a street race!...

Last edited by Pageracing; 10-27-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-23-2013 | 08:22 PM
A forged rotating assembly will hold a 250 shot no problem. It's best to use a standalone nitrous fuel cell with c16 in it along with a Holley blue to spray race fuel and not have to worry about the mod motor return less fuel system. Also if he's not using a mod motor than you really can't compare his setup to yours. I sprayed a carbed NX kit on a 408" Windsor for two years with a scat forged rotating assembly in an early model stock block with zero issues running 5.50@128mph. Mod motors are a whole different animal with more issues..

Last edited by Pageracing; 10-27-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2013 | 09:50 PM
Truck of the Month
two and a half years later...

Old 10-24-2013 | 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
two and a half years later...
LMAO! I was like "wait, when did I post in this???"

Old 10-24-2013 | 12:38 PM
I found the thread doing a google search on nitroused f-150s.

Last edited by Pageracing; 10-27-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Nitrous On a 2005 Supercab with a 5.4