OEM ECU or tune what I got?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012 | 03:23 PM
|
OEM ECU or tune what I got?

Hi all:

I searched for this. And, I'm sure the information is buried in a thread somewhere. But I couldn't find a specific answer for my situation:

I'm researching supercharging my 2002 5.4L Expedition with OEM Lightning parts. I'm not looking for maximum power gains. I'd be happy with a stock Lightning powertrain. Can the stock Lightning ECU be used for this, or am I better off having the Expedition ECU tuned for the new combo?

I understand that Lightning engines are lower compression, but I don't know if the stock Lightning tune is conservative enough to run stock boost on an Expedition engine without issues.

If it would work, I'd rather just buy a Lightning ECU and have a plug-and-play solution, as opposed to a dyno tune. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Lightning ECU doesn't play well with the Expedition harness and accessories. Anyone have answers?

Thanks in advance,
John.

Old 11-15-2012 | 04:07 PM
I would highly recommend a custom tune. While the stock ecu from a lightning may do it you will be safer and happier with a custom tune. $300 well spent. Everything will be right and your tune safe for a heavier than a lightning expo. Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

Old 11-15-2012 | 08:34 PM
^^^ This. I would custom tune over Lightning ECU. You would have to have the L ECU setup for PATS anyway so might as well just get a retune from a lightning tuner.

Old 11-16-2012 | 08:21 AM
|
If I need a tune anyway, why use a Lightning ECU? Can't the Expy ECU be tuned? Then I don't have to worry about PATS, etc.

Regards,
John.

Old 11-16-2012 | 09:38 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by the_tool_man
If I need a tune anyway, why use a Lightning ECU?
exactly, so many people are dead set on swapping ECU's and all they do is add additional un-needed heartache / hassle / time / expense

Can't the Expy ECU be tuned? Then I don't have to worry about PATS, etc.

Regards,
John.
of course it can be tuned, and that's why it was suggested to you

Old 11-16-2012 | 10:06 AM
Yes, tune your current ecu. No need to spend $300 on the lighting ecu (assuming it would cost that) when you can spend $300 on a custom tune that you will be far happier and safer with. Thats what I was saying above but I could have been clearer.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 11-16-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-16-2012 | 10:33 AM
|
Thanks for the help. One less part to buy, lol. It's gonna be hard enough as it is.

Regards,
John.

Old 11-17-2012 | 09:18 PM
rus
If I need a tune anyway, why use a Lightning ECU? Can't the Expy ECU be tuned? Then I don't have to worry about PATS, etc.

Regards,
John.
That's what I did. I tuned my original ECU. Much better results, I feel

Quick Reply: OEM ECU or tune what I got?