|
Black Sticky Oil in Throttle Body

and tube.
Please help to identify. It looks like a dark sticky oil. Thanks Jim

Old 03-08-2002 | 09:02 AM
|
Crash
Thanks for your response.
It's a 4.6L auto with a Vortech Supercharger. B plus 4's plugs, Accel 300 wires, accel coils. I have removed the clutch fan and installed 2 electric. 4:10 gears. Nos system BUT not operative yet. Magnaflow true dual exhaust. I just got my reburnt chip back from Mike (re the charger install) It seems to run rich according to my air/fuel gauge and black wet (watery) pipes.
I was just thinking, about to weeks ago I sprayed my engine compartment with that CD2 engine dressing. I wonder if it could of sucked up some of that residue from that application. However just by covensidance a fellow member here just posted something simular on the Engines Forum this morning. Thanks alot for your help figuring this queeer out. Well I better put the tube back on and get off to work shortly.
I can't attach a file/picture right now but if you want to see some pictures of my engine etc. you can go to the photo gallery and look up the "L'il Red Truck" by Cobrahms..
Thanks again Jim

Old 03-08-2002 | 10:12 AM
I know onthe 5.4's there is a EGR recirc tune that goes from the valve cover to the Boot before the throttle body... Over time the hot oil vapor forms sludge like buildup...

Doug

Old 03-08-2002 | 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi cobrahms9,

Many times in F-150's (and other vehicles) that are driven hard and/or that have superchargers or bolt-on mods that have achieved significant power gains, you will have oil pulled up into the throttle body due to inadequate ventilation of the increased crankcase pressure. This is very typical in supercharged applications, though not limited to just those applications, of course.

This can be cured by installing a screw-in breather cap into the cam cover, use it to replace the oil fill spout, and then the ECU needs to be reprogrammed accordingly, as the breather cap will allow unmetered air to enter the engine under certain conditions, and that skews A/F ratios.

If you'd like to talk about this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call & we can go over this with you, to see if this is your problem.

Old 03-08-2002 | 05:59 PM
Is this a condition that we are all at risk of? Should we be checking regularly? If this is something that happens with a N/A engine does the blower speed up the process?
Any others delt with this? What did you do?
What needs to be done to prevent this? Is the breather cap the only way?
This is an issue that I have not seen in the year that I have been a regular visitor. It may have come up but I haven't seen it. I ask so many questions because I want to keep my truck in good running order.

Thanks!
Tom

Old 03-09-2002 | 12:33 PM
|
WOW!!
That says it all right there Crash. I'm sure you realize that none of us want to screw up our smogs forsure.
First let me thank you guys for responding to my post. That's great to say the least.
I believe you are right. After keeting my chip back from Superchips it has been running rich, not exremely but very. I discovered this problem while doing a B&G Fuel Regulator Installation. Anyway Mike knows of the Air/Fuel problem and now he will know of this delema as well. I will be sending him a fax here momentary and I'll post the outcome when it happens. Thanks again Jim

Old 03-13-2002 | 03:09 AM
Yes I understand that but why would it be running so rich

Old 03-13-2002 | 03:51 PM
yep

If you spend a fair amount of time at wot this will happen (blown or not).My na 4.2L has oil building up in the upper intake (I noticed it when I pulled my throttle body off to port it out.) and while it has not afected driveability or power yet, eventually it will. Autonet's blown 4.2L has considerably more miles than my truck and their oil build up was bad enough to rob them of 20+ hp(I can't remember the exact figure). They didn't realize the problem was that bad until after they had it dynoed in stock trim (for baseline hp & tq).Apparently it fell well short of what a healthy 4.2L should have.I know that they had their intakes cleaned out but I am unaware if they did the breather cap mod to remedy the problem.Crash?
An obvious solution is to never go wot but what fun would that be?

Old 03-19-2002 | 06:44 PM
Crash/Flats -

I plan on pulling the TB off this weekend and cleaning it out. Is a breather cap mod something that I should be considering with the "larger" pulley?

Old 03-19-2002 | 08:04 PM
Cool

I first noticed these symptoms with the new smaller pullies. The stock 5 lb pulley does not seem to deposit much oil but the 7 lb deposits a little more and the 9 lb a little more yet. I am working on a permanent fix along the lines of the programmed breather. I am having the chip programmed right now. The only other choice is to go back to the 5 lb pulley...............Not!

Old 03-19-2002 | 10:45 PM
I guess I should know by now, nothing is ever easy!
Ok, so I can't just slap on another pully and be done with it. I'm more and more aware that we are never "done with it"!
Any one care to elaborate the concept of the programmed breather? Sounds to me like something that would have a (crank case)pressure (or vaccume?) acuated valve that would eleiminate excess crank case pressure? It would spew oil to somewhere other than the intake? Is this a thought or a readily availible product?
Crash has said that he has seen this on N/A trucks too. Going back to the 5lb. would only prolong the same result. I've been dreaming of the 9lb. Don't all of you go back to the 5 now!

Thanks!
Tom

Old 03-20-2002 | 09:33 AM
Cool

Hey Tom, I would have to sell this Truck before I would go back! I will do my usual report on the valve cover breather mod. It has been working for the Lightning Boys for a while now and I am sure it will work for us. I will be driving this new set up with 42 lb injectors, no FMU and the breather mod, to Atlanta on the 17th of April for the Fun Ford event. I will write my report after that.

Old 03-20-2002 | 05:12 PM
I'm starting to think it might be worth the added expense to start off with the #7 and work up to the #9. I think I'm beginning to understand what I need to do to optimise this set up. The costs though!
I saw in the other thread that there seems to be some concern about the A/F. The stock injectors should be ok with the #7, right?I think before going with the #9 I need to upgrade the injectors. (not to mention the MAF and TB)
People have been pretty happy with the #7, right? I know I will go with the #9 eventually but I need to have the truck running in the mean time.
I look forward to how the breather works for you Flats Man. In the mean time I think I will have to get my head under the hood and get a better understanding of how that all works. I will have to wait till the snow melts!

Thanks to all! You are making this supercharger experiance real cool!
Tom

Old 03-22-2002 | 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor
To All,

If anyone has questions on the issue of using the cam cover filtered breather cap that we use in these high-powered or high-boosted vehicles, feel free to give us a call.

This has been properly R&D'd, and we're not having any drivability or emissions issues, but it does have to be compensated for in the powertrain program.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2002 | 12:10 PM
|
"Mike T"
Yes, thanks Mike this is Jim. I will send an email this afternoon I am certainly interested in the breather cap it it will remedy the problem, also as to what can be down to rectify the problem of run so rich of an air/fuel mixture.
I have just finished installing Ford's shorty headers not that bad of a job except for tight quarters to tighten up a couple of bolts. I wrapped them with the temp. wrap since they where only stainless not ceramic coated. Might be even better accually should run a little cooler. I also installed the Transgo Kit which was scary at start-up?? I had to put in 12 quarts of fluid before the Trans. would work, darn video only installed 7/8 quarts and I have the stock pan. but it is wqorking just find to say the least. Anyway we shall talk later OK?
Thanks Jim with the"L'il Red Truck"

Quick Reply: Black Sticky Oil in Throttle Body