new to S/C forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002 | 06:29 PM
|
new to S/C forum

Hi all,

I have a 01 SuperCrew 4x4, 5.4 V8. I'm looking to give it a little extra grunt.

1) a superchip is on the list
2) a supercharger

questions:
- Should I install the chip before or after a S/C? does it affect
how the chip will/would be programmed?

- SuperChargers: I know very little (if anything) about em. I've been reading thru the threads, and it seems a lot of folks use ATI. I have to read more about this brand. Are there different styles (way they function) of S/Cs? pros/cons?

- I'm just looking for something to kill the new Dodge Quad cabs If I install a S/C, what other things should I consider upgrading/installing so that the truck can handle the new found power?

Thanks in advance for your help. This place rocks.

Old 08-09-2002 | 08:11 PM
|
Thanks, one other question to help narrow it down

I forgot to add this one:

of the two types, which is easier to install? I've got a little garage time behind me, (workin with my dad on his old trucks back in the day) but no where near a serious wrench head.

Last edited by braboin; 08-09-2002 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2002 | 11:06 AM
Hey. You've come to the right place!
Crash!, skid, and all the others here hold a wealth of knowlege and experiance. I think that this is one of the best resources for onfo on supercharging our F150's.

I have the Magnacharger, the roots type, on my truck. I'm very happy with it though I have to admit I am curious how the ATI would make my truck go. Maybe the next truck.

I did the Magna install with the help of a couple friends. Based on what I have learned about the two types I would have to say the ATI would be the easier to install. Either way, a supercharger will make these trucks feel real poweerful. You are starting with the 5.4 so you will see some nice results with either type.

Spend some time here. Ask lots of questions. Join the ranks of the supercharged F150's!

Old 08-10-2002 | 01:19 PM
|
Thanks Wittom,

When you installed the Magna, did you upgrade any other parts on your truck., in order to handle the additional torque/HP? correct me if I'm wrong, but what I read is that the Magna/roots type geared towards the low end? I see myself leaning towards that option.

I will definitely have to wait a bit to save up the coin for one though did you install the chip before or after putting the S/C on?

Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2002 | 01:31 PM
Old 08-10-2002 | 03:53 PM
Braboin,
The link that 2000regcag54 left is a good one. You can see what you will have to get into. It's not as hard as it looks!

I did not do any other additional mods, other than replace the spark plugs. Ideally we should shore up the bottom end of these motors but I think that most of the kits are pretty conservative. I think you'd have to be pretty hard on your truck to kill it. Ask Crash!. He seems to have pushed his trucks pretty hard with a positive outcome.

Yes, I hear the Magnacharger is geared twards low end. I believe that I would agree. I don't have any experiance with the ATI so I couldn't say that the Magnacharger is any better than the ATI. I would tend to think that with your config. you would benefit more from the Magnacharger but Crash! and skid have reported comparible results with the ATI. Unless you can try them both to compare you'll have to gather all the info you can and try to make an informed decision. Believe me, it's not easy!

As for the chip. The Superchip was actually my first mod. I started off (grossly uninformed) with a single program chip. It was awsome. It doesn't even come close to comparing to the power of the supercharger but it was a fraction of the cost.
I spent a ton of time here (became addicted!) and learned a lot. Eventually I realized that I wanted real power. I figured a supercharger would fit the bill. So I loaded up the credit card. When I got the supercharger I got another chip. This time it was a Superchip flip chip.
If you are waiting a while to get a supercharger then go ahead and get your self a flip chip. When the time comes to put the supercharger in there you can have the chip reprogrammed. It will cost a couple bucks but why not have some fun while you wait for the funds to come together?

Old 08-14-2002 | 01:57 PM
What kind of performance are you looking for besides beating that Dodge?
Do you want to kill it off the line or in the 1/4 mile? If it's 1/4 times you're after, then you should go with the ATI or another centrifugal blower. If it's off the line grunt, then go with roots type such as magnacharger or kenne belle. With the magna, if you get it installed at an ASE certified shop, they will warranty your drivetrain (at least for GMs, so why not Fords??). Only thing about them is they run hot and do give your engine more stress from all the boost going in at once, while with ATI the boost increases with RPM. Also I believe ATIs have intercooler options.
Better watch that tranny if you get one from the additional power. If you have the 9" rear you'll be ok there. Otherwise, good too beef up the rearend with an Eaton unit.
I'm looking to charge real soon too on the F-150.
-Tom

Old 08-14-2002 | 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Tahoe SC

Only thing about them is they run hot and do give your engine more stress from all the boost going in at once, while with ATI the boost increases with RPM. Also I believe ATIs have intercooler options.
The Magnacharger also comes with an intercooler on the Ford kits.

Quick Reply: new to S/C forum