SuperCrew

Hot In-Dash CD Player?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2000, 09:13 PM
Hu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hot In-Dash CD Player?

No, it ain't stolen, just Hot! Seems to me anyway. This is my first CD player in a vehicle but I've never noticed them running particularly warm in a computer or walkman type player. My CD's come out of the SuperCrew player almost hot to the touch. Hot enough to be concerned with long term damage to CD's and of course this elevates the temperature of everything in the dash. I haven't done any real digging yet but the heat does seem to originate with the CD unit.

Can anybody provide some input? Is this normal or cause for alarm?

Hu

------------------
White XLT SuperCrew
5.4, Limited Slip, Power Bench Seat, No Mods YET! Of course I haven't taken the truck home yet either as I write this, trying to get a grill change from the dealer.

Old 10-10-2000, 12:16 AM
I believe you have nothing to worry about. I've had CD changers in my trucks since they came out and they do tend to get warm due to the closed-in nature of the area they're installed. I've never had a warped CD yet that I can recall. The heat's most likely from the high spin rate of the CD itself.

Maybe the heats coming from the built-in amplifier on the in-dash radio. I've seen radios that do have a sort of heatsink on the back of it. They do get hot.

Something else to consider, and this may not apply to you, is whether you're also getting extra heat from the heating air ducts which are routed right around the radio. Don't know where you're at or whether the engine was on so this is just a guess.

Bottom line: If you don't feel right about it
let the dealership check it out for you to be safe.

TL

Old 10-10-2000, 12:34 AM
finally...someone else with this problem. my cd's get hot, but, that's never bothered me. what's bothering me is after 45 - 60 minutes, whether playing cd or radio, my radio cuts off because of the heat.

i posted this problem about 4 months ago but no one else seemed to have the same. will be going in to the dealer within a couple weeks to see what can be done.

if anyone else is having problems with the radio turning off, please advise.

Old 10-10-2000, 09:55 AM
Hu
Kenny,

I'm taking a ten day trip starting this weekend. That will be the first time that the CD and radio are played for extended periods. I have played it for several hours at a time without anything shutting down though. I'm a former computer and network professional and maybe a little paranoid about heat but this seems excessive to me. I'll try to decide rather to haul it to my dealer or not during the trip.

Hu

------------------
White XLT SuperCrew
5.4, Limited Slip, Power Bench Seat, No Mods YET! Of course I haven't taken the truck home yet either as I write this, trying to get a grill change from the dealer.

Old 10-10-2000, 11:39 AM
Exclamation

The CD's in my home computer tend to get hotter then in my S-Crew CD player. In any event even though they are noticeably warm I have never had one warp or damage. It is the spin rate which causes some friction causing heat which is normal. By the way I am really impressed with the sound considering it is a stock player and speakers.

------------------
Mtn Mike

Old 10-11-2000, 02:41 AM
Just went up to LA this last weekend. The wife and I noticed the cd was really hot after removing. So you guys are not the only ones with this situation.

[This message has been edited by woody24 (edited 10-11-2000).]

Old 10-11-2000, 11:33 AM
Talking

If it gets too hot it will shut down and you will get a "CD HOT" indication on the radio.

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SPORT 4X4, BRIGHT RED/DARK GRAPHITE, SUPER CAB,
SHORT BED, 5.4L, AUTO, 3:55LS, TOW PACKAGE, HD COOLING/ELECT, SKID PLATES
SPORT CLOTH SIX WAY POWER CAPTAIN'S CHAIRS, CONSOLE, SINGLE CD,
CRUISE,ESOF,REMOTE KEYLESS, FORD SNAPLESS TONNEAU COVER, FORD BEDLINER,
FORD MOLDED SPLASH GUARDS, FORD BODY COLOR CABSTEPS,
MODS: CATCH ALL FRONT MATS, LUND DEFLECTOR, FORD VENT SHADES,
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE CATBACK,
K&N GENII FIPK,
FORD HITCH COVER

NEXT: SUPERCHIP!!

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2000, 04:59 PM
It's not just the Ford cd player. I put a Sony in-dash receiver/cd player in my old truck (not a Ford), and it gets very hot. Even the led display gets so hot I think something is bound to catch on fire. I've had it about 4 years and can't read the display anymore unless I push on it. I think the heat caused something to separate in the display. I keep waiting for it to burn to the ground so I can collect the insurance.

Old 10-12-2000, 02:24 PM
Hu
Did some testing on a long road trip yesterday. The radio alone puts out a noticeable amount of heat but the CD gets far hotter, warm enough to feel a warm area on the dash. This was with the heater off. The home CD players I've checked don't approach this heat.

Hu

------------------
White XLT SuperCrew

Old 10-26-2000, 10:38 PM
kaz
Lightbulb

The reason it heats up is because the cd in the SCrew or in any car spins faster than a regular cd player, so it dosent skip, what it does is read ahead while the cd is playing so that when it does skip you do not here it and it dosent lose the place or any time on the track. Thats why the cd tends to heat up a little bit. Just spinning faster. hope this helps a little.

kaz

Quick Reply: Hot In-Dash CD Player?