SuperCrew

Opinions - fixed vs slider rear window

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions - fixed vs slider rear window

Looking for some pros and cons for the fixed vs slider rear window on the SCrew. This is my first full size truck, so I would like to hear some thoughts from ya'll who have lived with this for a while. Here's how I see it.
PROS:
*Good for ventilation/cooling off truck in summer. (but with 4 power windows, is it really necessary?)
*Access to bed from cab (camper, etc.) while in motion.
CONS:
*How do you operate a manual window from the front of the cab (open/close) - My arms won't reach from the driver's seat... power would be nice.
*Security weakness - I hear alot about how trucks get broken into through the rear sliders. This seems to me to be significant.

What is your experience? What am I missing?
Thx.

------------------
Soon to order 2001 Supercrew Lariat 4X2...

Old 11-21-2000, 01:47 PM
To me it is a must have item. I will be adding an ARE Z-Series cap to the truck which will also have a sliding window and I need the slider in the cab in order to have access to the bed area.

I also will be adding a boot that will block the wind and rain from entering the opening when both windows are open. We travel with our Golden Retriever in the bed area and the pass-thru allows us to interact with the dog while traveling.

With the cap on the truck, I don't have any security worries either.

You may want to look at the Lariat Upgrade Group (63L) that would give you a power sliding rear window in addition to wood dash trim and color keyed running boards. This would solve your security issue and your issue of how to open it while seated up front.

Had I ordered a Lariat and this option been available I would have ordered it.

------------------
On Order 9/26/2000, serialized 11/16, to be built week of 12/4:

2001 Screw 4x4 XLT
Arizona Beige/Wedgewood Blue Tu-Tone
Captains Chairs w/Power Drivers Seat & Autolamp
6 Disc CD Changer
4.6L, 3.55 LSD, Moonroof
Cab Steps, 17" 10 Spoke Wheels
Skid Plates, Trailer Tow Group
Sliding Rear Window

Planned Mods:
ARE Z Series Cap
BedRug (To save my knees)

Old 11-21-2000, 03:08 PM
Cool

Me no need sliding rear window...especially in a 4 door/window truck like the SuperCrew. When I need venting I just automatically roll down the back two windows...no fuss no muss!

I saved the extra money for the slider and put it towards my REALLY GOOD LOOKING 17" tires and rims...bigger bang for the buck I have to say!

Solid windows to me look much cleaner and less inviting for some sh-t head to break into!

Either way it's still a great looking Ford Truck!

Old 11-21-2000, 03:39 PM
No Slider Here,

I think you nailed the common pros and cons. My last pickup was a regular cab with the slider. It was handy because I could reach it while driving. It was not as clean a look as a solid window but worth it if you can reach it. The SCrew, IMHO, has very clean lines and I think the slider detracts from that big beautiful solid dark back window. Unless you have a specific reason, (like a dog, etc.) I wouldn't get it. You'll be happy either way, these trucks are the best.

One thing I wish they HAD offered is a rear window defogger. We've had some unusually cold weather (for phoenix) the last few mornings and the rear window has been iced up and foggy in the morning. I'll have to check, but I don't think there are any defroster blowers back there (and definitely no 'in glass' defroster).

------------------
2001 SuperCrew XLT
Oxford White, Med Graphite Interior
5.4 Liter
4X4, LS Rear, Tow/Trailer
Skids, 17" Aluminum Wheels
Captains Chairs

Old 11-21-2000, 03:41 PM
I have it, wish I did not. Useless and I dont think it looks as good as the smooth glass. Now if Ford would just offer a rear defogger like GM, that would be even better.

------------------
'01 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat, 5.4, 3.55 LS Amazon Green/Gold, med parchment, Moonroof, captains, 6cd, skids, slider, tow, cab steps, Pendaliner, Advance Bed Cover.

Old 11-21-2000, 03:43 PM
Exclamation

DesertDog,
You must have read my mind. Posted the same time you did with same cons with the window.

Old 11-21-2000, 04:19 PM
Cool

Great idea guys...rear defroster would be an excellent idea!!

ARE YOU LISTENING FORD...WE WANT REAR DEFOG ON OUR FIXED WINDOWS!

Old 11-21-2000, 04:22 PM
Cool

Great idea guys...rear defroster would be an excellent idea!!

ARE YOU LISTENING FORD...WE WANT REAR DEFOG ON OUR FIXED/SOLID WINDOWS!

Old 11-21-2000, 08:47 PM
My 97 SuperCab didn't have it. It was on the must have list for my SCrew. It's as close as you can get to a convertible in a truck, with the moonroof and slider open and all windows down. I just wish the rear windows rolled all the way down. As for being able to reach the window; that's what the kids are for...

------------------
2001 SuperCrew Lariat4x2
Amazon Green Med Parchment Captains Chairs
Rear sliding Window MoonRoof Tow package
3.55 LSD / Mods: Line-X
Access Cover
GPS
Expy Console
Owens Custom Boards

Old 11-21-2000, 10:52 PM
With All Due Respect John in Cal,

A twelve inch (or so) hole in the rear window is not gonna make much dif once all four windows PLUS your moonroof is open. What your kids are or are not doing through the portal is none of my business and god bless if it works for you but the advantages you state just don't work for me. Different strokes, as it should be.

------------------
2001 SuperCrew XLT
Oxford White, Med Graphite Interior
5.4 Liter
4X4, LS Rear, Tow/Trailer
Skids, Captains Chairs

Old 11-21-2000, 10:54 PM
snj
Angry

Now this issue gets me fired up... The dealers actually have the ***** to charge extra for the slider, when in fact, the "domestic" glass is actually more expensive. I looked into buying the domestic (flat) glass and got initial quotes in the $450 range. Slide, even power sliders, are at or under that price. Oh well..... enough soapbox....

------------------
2001 Silver SuperCrew 4X4
Moonroof, CD changer, Snuglid, captains chairs, 3.55 LS Diff, tint, alarm and switch mod to allow fog lights while in auto

Old 11-21-2000, 11:33 PM
kaz
Thumbs up

Being a teenager i have the slider on the back of my Screw and i think it is nice when u have people in the back seat. Only beacause it is useful to throw cans and other objects at your frinds car behind you. also i think it is nice when you have someone riding in the back of your truck so you can talk to them. i.e. riding down the beach you dont have to yell in the side windows. yes i know this is not a very good comment but hey im bored. i liek the sliding rear window. just my two cents.

kaz

Old 11-21-2000, 11:57 PM
DesertDog. The kids sit in the back seat. They open and close the rear slider. They don't climb in and out of it. How you got that idea from my earlier post is beyond me. And yes a "12" hole" as you put it does make a great deal of differences when it's opened.

------------------
2001 SuperCrew Lariat4x2
Amazon Green Med Parchment Captains Chairs
Rear sliding Window MoonRoof Tow package
3.55 LSD / Mods: Line-X
Access Cover
GPS
Expy Console
Owens Custom Boards

Old 11-22-2000, 01:41 AM
Thumbs up

Try a power slider, moonroof + power slider is a nice combo for venting.

------------------
2001 SUPER CREW 4x4 Lariat White
  • Graphite Leather captain's chairs
  • 5.4L
  • Moonroof
  • 6CD
  • limited slip
  • Tow and Off Road package
  • Bed Extender
Mods
  • Infinty speakers
  • JBL powered sub
  • Bug Guard
  • Ford molded mud flaps (rear)
  • K&N
  • Magnaflow 3"
  • Bed mat
  • Snug Lid
  • CRL Powerlite rear window

Old 11-26-2000, 10:24 PM
Banned
Seadoo the power windows slide back and forth like the manual windows do. in any kind of f150 there is a curve in the back of the cab so it prevents the window from sliding down. there is a company out there that makes a rear window that pops in and out in no time, i saw this on the TrucksTV show on TNN. they installed it on a S10 then they installed a cap with a boot, from the interior of the cab you could puul out the window and crawback. its the best of both worlds. i went back after posting this origionally and found out the window is called a BREEZER window from custom concepts

hope this helps

[This message has been edited by bomber (edited 11-26-2000).]

Quick Reply: Opinions - fixed vs slider rear window