Belltech 3/4 drop just installed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003 | 09:42 PM
|
Belltech 3/4 drop just installed...

I just finished installing it on my 97 XLT and I took a bunch of pics during the install so I made a Before/During/After web site:

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/f150/truck.htm

I still have to add some "after" pics and add some final touches to make it look nicer but if anybody wants to review it feel free to do so..

New wheels and tires will be installed later this week..

hth's
ks

Old 03-17-2003 | 10:38 PM
Lowering Kits

Been a while since I've visited this site. It looks good...
Have you aligned your truck since the 3" drop? You may have a negative camber issue. It shouldn't be too bad with just 3", but there are adjustable camber plates available from Ford. Don't remember the part no. right off, but I could look them up if you want.
You can actually go as low as 7" front/9" rear (with notch of course) on these trucks, but ride suffers greatly (duh). There are some pics of my truck in the Gallery when it was that low. The 3"/4" seems to be the best compromise, though.
You may find that the truck bottoms out in rear when hauling loads or towing a trailer with a heavy tongue. A set of helper air bags will help and the airbags will also smooth out the rear to help get rid of the "hopping" feeling on bumpy roads.

+BTW: Nice job with the website.

Old 03-18-2003 | 12:05 AM
|
Yep, I had it aligned today, no problems... I am rather disappointed in the quality of the ride from Belltech. I know a lot about spring rates, etc but I went with them because I thought they would have engineered a front spring rate that closely resembles the factory ride or come close to it. Wrong. The front of the truck is very bouncy over bumps and I feel like a 20 yr old kid driving a slammed mini truck with no suspension. I have a feeling when I get the 18" tires I'm not going to like it at all...
I'm going to do some research on front shocks hoping that maybe a better quality shock will make it ride better.

Thanks for the info on the bottoming out.. Right now I'm not too concerned about it bottoming out since the heaviest thing I have ever hauled in the last 5 years was about 300lbs (plywood) and I won't be towing anything with it.

ks

Last edited by KEVINS; 03-18-2003 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-18-2003 | 03:08 PM
If you do a search on the kit, you will find that most people do not like the Belltech shocks. Some have gone with the Bilsteins for the Lightning. Do the search and you may find which shocks you will like better

Brian

Old 03-18-2003 | 04:04 PM
|
Thanks a bunch Brian! I'll look them up..

ks

Old 03-21-2003 | 10:26 PM
I was just wondering which belltech shocks you went with? I know they have two different kinds you can choose from in the kit, either the nitro or the active shocks.

J/W

- Rick -

Old 03-22-2003 | 10:30 AM
|
I went with their cheaper shocks, the Nitro-Drops. Their more expensive shocks were stiffer which I didn't want..

hth's
ks

Old 04-01-2003 | 01:31 PM
more shock info for ya

Kevins, I worked for a truck accessory retailer for almost 5 years, We installed Bell Tech stuff everyday.. some times as many as 4 trucks a day...

DITCH the Bell tech shocks... all of them... the cheap or "premium" are worthless in my opinion.

We refused to sell the bell tech shocks at all.. They have a lifetime warranty for a reason.. you will use it OFTEN...

Ground Force's Springs I am told have a very close spring rate tot he bell tech. Their shocks are much more comfortable & offer better control. Fairly reasonable if memory serves.

The Lightning Spec Bilsteins have been getting some good reports from other f150 owners. & of course the Roush spec (2" lower I think) is the same valving (I am told) but shorter travel for the lower stance. Bilstiens will feel firm but acceptable...

My choice would be the Edelbrock IAS Performers. They are available in Stock, Lightning (1-2" drop") or truely lowered (I think good to 3")... I have them on my truck with the same springs you have... Love it.. For comfort & handling compromise the IAS's are great.

QA-1's are the ultimate... you can order them to your length needs (within reason) & they are 12 position adjustable soft -6 to 0 to +6 hard. But be prepared to break out the check book.

When you go to the 18" wheels & tires you will have more road feel, less cush... thats why I went with the Edelbrocks.

just some food for thought....

Like the website. Is it for a company in Lincoln?
I will be cruisin through Lincoln next week... maybe grab a bite & a beer?

Rob, St. Louis MO
'02 HD f150

Old 04-01-2003 | 05:55 PM
|
Thanks Rob! I'm going to see how bad it rides with the 18's and if I don't like it then I will be looking for new shocks and maybe springs. Highway driving is just fine but the in-town part gets to me after a while.

I designed my own rear suspension parts for drag racing (Mustangs) that I sell in my spare time at home and I needed a nice truck to go to the Mustang races to help with the promotion..

Shoot me an email when you're in town. If I can get away you got a deal!

ks

Last edited by KEVINS; 04-02-2003 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2003 | 12:06 AM
Hey Guys Quick Question

Did you guys have to use any shims on your rear drop to correct the driveline angle?

What size?

Old 04-08-2003 | 08:56 AM
|
The kit comes with a 6* wedge.

hth's

Old 04-08-2003 | 09:15 PM
Well I to instaled the Belltech set up onmy '02 HD f150.

I LOVED the look/stance.

Bottomed out on every little bump... even with the edelbrock shocks.

I put the stock rear shackle back in & it helped a little without really chanigng the "atitude" but still WAY to bouncy.

I am leaving tomorrrow for my road trip for work. WhenI get back the Bell Tech stuf is for sale. I a going to the ROush or steeda set up. Hotchkis i just too dang much money.

Keins I will give yo a ring. my schedule has fliped a bit. I will be in LIncoln/omaha on tuesday the 15th.

Rob, St. Louis MO

Quick Reply: Belltech 3/4 drop just installed...