leaf springs & payload

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003 | 09:20 PM
|
Question leaf springs & payload

My truck has 3 leaves in the rear springs. Since my left springs are sagging, I looked at another '97 today for comparison and noticed that it had 4 leaves; also had the off road package. My question is; What determined whether a truck came with 3 or 4 leaves and what difference does this make in the payload capacity?

Old 03-31-2003 | 04:00 PM
Probably the payload option for that specific truck. I think there are or were like three of them plus the #7700 one. They specify them by the GVWR for your specific truck. You can see this on the drivers side door jamb sticker.

GVWR #6050 - Standard payload w/ three leafs.
GVWR #6250 - Upgraded payload, but still only has three leafs.
GVWR #6500 - This is the one that should have the four leafs.

GVWR #7700 - This is the highest payload (the old F250 LD and now just the "7700 payload option"). It has four leafs as well, but has a host of other 'beefier' options on the truck.

I've got the #6250 and three leafs. The first time I put #1000 in the bed it went to the bump stops!! Sure, it rode really smooth and soft, but I could not have a truck that was brought to it's knees with only a 1/2 ton payload (yeah, I know it's only a 1/2 ton truck, and the #1000 payload puts it just a tad over it's GVWR, but still........... )

I added some Hellwig overload springs and that fixed the sagging right up. I have SIX leaf springs now!!

Airbags will do the same thing, but I just like the springs. No fuss, no muss. Now, that same #1000 load only drops the rear 2"!! Lets just say I'm not embarrassed at the local Home Depot anymore!

Last edited by MitchF150; 03-31-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2003 | 02:09 PM
mitchf150,

got a question for you. what did that spring change do to the over all 'ride' of the truck?

does the truck bounce all over the road on bumps now with no load in the back?

Old 04-01-2003 | 02:25 PM
Thumbs up

billy,

Yes, it changed the ride. It's what I would call "firmer", but by no means harsh. No bouncing, no rattle. It does not "float" over bumps like a Cadillac, but does not jar you like an F450 either.

It handles much better now too. No lean or sway in corners anymore. No more wheel hop on wet pavement. Keeps my dad from 'bashing' my "little 1/2 ton" when I load up a bunch of firewood or haul some dirt from his place every now and then. He actually said, "wow, I would have thought you'd be on the stops by now...." (he drives a Dodge with the 24v Cummins in it)

Here is a shot of what they look like. They are more of a "progressive" setup, so the more weight in back, the "stiffer" the suspension gets.

Old 04-03-2003 | 07:37 AM
mitchf150,

thanks for the response. got one last question for you.

was that a self install? and if so, was it a relatively simple 'bolt on' type job. i thought it was a whole new set of 'one piece' springs but now that i see the pics it looks like a seperate helper spring.

i have been thinking about doing this since i have hauled 2 or 3 loads of dirt a year (also loads of sheetrock & plywood) since i have had the truck, and its the weight that kills me, not the volume. i will be doing more dirt than usual this year.

i just put 4 shocks on the truck and it went quick & easy. could i expect the same from doing the helper springs?

thanks for your input.

Old 04-03-2003 | 01:18 PM
Thumbs up

It was a piece of cake to install. Didn't even have to take the wheels off. Just need some deep sockets and about 45 minutes of time. That includes putting each spring set together on the bench first. If you installed the shocks, this will be nothing.....

I got mine from a local 4x4 shop for $150 + tax. That included the mounting hardware. I've seen 'em in the popular 'online catalogs', but they seem to want to charge EXTRA for the mounting hardware! Plus, these things are HEAVY. Shipping would cost a lot too.

I'll say it again, if you haul heavy stuff with your F150, then these things really make a difference. No more "Soccor Mom" suspension for this rig!

Good Luck!

Old 04-03-2003 | 06:10 PM
|
billycouldride

I put my Helwigs on by myself also. It's just that my left rear truck springs are so soft I need an add-a-leaf or something to correct the problem. I tried raising the left by increasing the tension on the Helwigs but I had to crank the nuts down to the maximum recommended and I didn't want to have such different settings between the left and right sides.

As for the installation, it's a piece of cake. All you need are the correct size wrenches and/or sockets; a creeper is handy also for the underneath work.

Old 04-04-2003 | 06:39 PM
thanks both for the response.

i work in an auto related industry, and we have some x dealerhsip people on our staff. asked them if they new any local place for springs, and both guys responded with the same place.

its been around forever & they actually make their own springs. i called them today. said they would add the fourth leaf in with the rest installed in about two hours for 250.00. didnt sound like it was a bolt on extra spring, but that it would be nestled with the other 3.

going to do a little shopping around, but now i am leaning towards the shop. thanks for the info going to make my decision soon.

Old 04-16-2003 | 06:54 AM
just a little update.

my truck is going into the shop on the 25th of april.

they will drop the leaf springs, and add in one more leaf to each side. the guy at the shop said that this will be good for 500-600 more pounds of payload. ride will be a little stiffer, but the difference will be sort of subtle.

they said they can change the rear height (higher if i wanted it) but that they will be able to leave it relatively unchanged. i do not want the rear to be any higher so i asked that they leave it where it is.

price will be 265.00 for the work. hopefully this will give me what i am looking for. said it should take them about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to complete the job.

Old 04-16-2003 | 08:31 PM
Mitch150 although that information is good I do not think it is entierly accurate or at least there are exceptions to what you have put up.

For instance I owna 97 F150 4x4 with 6250lb GVWR and I have 4 leaf springs on my truck. So it may have something to do also with the ORP and or engine combo.

Richard D.

WHILE YOUR HERE CHECK OUT MY GALLERY:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 04-17-2003 | 03:34 AM
Smile

Richard,

Huh......#6250 and 4 leafs.... Well, there ya go. Just figured the extra leaf would add to the GVWR. Maybe it adds to the GAWR instead? (didn't know that there was an "option" for that)

My rear GAWR is only a whimpy #3200, but I do have the 9.75 rear end, so go figure. What is your GAWR?

Old 04-17-2003 | 12:35 PM
Cool

Howdy Mitch...in case you were wondering, the rear GAWR on my 7700 is 4800lbs. Probably a combination of the springs and the 10.25 axle. I also wanted to mention it's for sale, seeing how you are just up I5!

Last edited by 7700SC4X4; 04-17-2003 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2003 | 01:22 PM
Here is what i have:
GAWR Front 3600lb
GAWR Rear 3550lb
GVWR 6250lb

My front will be changing soon though as I am upgrading my torsion bars to a heavier duty Torsion Bar
Richard D.

WHILE YOUR HERE CHECK OUT MY GALLERY:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 04-22-2003 | 01:45 PM
Well, I just looked around the area and couldn't find a distributor here in Syracuse NY. Where is the best place to order them from?

Old 04-22-2003 | 02:17 PM
Now you guys have me wanting to get home and check my window sticker and count leave springs.

-Brian

Quick Reply: leaf springs & payload