Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like a plan! I'll let you know.

Old 04-08-2003, 07:27 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greencrew, I bet you end up a little more than that. I expect that to be rather floaty and bouncy. Rancho has the same shock for all 4x4 stock height F-150's and your truck is the heaviest. I have the RS9000 and would like one position between 2-3 for empty bed which would be equivalent to 4 on the 9000x. I use middle up front, 3 on mine and 5 on yours.

Old 04-08-2003, 11:25 PM

I do understan your point. I'm looking for a smooth comfortable ride on the road and anticipate a lower setting, but I also expect the ride to come more from the tires than the shocks. Finding out for myself is one reason I'm looking forward to getting the shocks. I'll be taking the truck in tomorrow morning for the install.

Old 04-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased the RS5000's not realizing that they ARE NOT gas charged shocks. They are oil shocks. I returned them to Jegs and purchased the RSX's. I love them. They ride smoother than the factory shocks did and the truck has much less body roll. At $50.00 each, they are hard to beat (from Jeg's)

Old 04-10-2003, 02:16 PM

When I picked up the truck at Sears I asked what they set the shocks to. They salesman had no idea what I was talking about. It looks like the come from the factory set to 1.

I drove it a bit at setting 1 and so far I like that setting. With the shocks and tires it rids a lot more liike my old 4x2 SCab with the General Grabber AW tires. That was my objective from the start.

There is less roll in turns even at setting 1. Much better shock than the heavy duty trailer tow shock even at the first setting. I'll crank it up to 9 and check that out tomorrow.

Old 04-12-2003, 12:14 AM

Ran around at setting 9 all day. They were less rigid than I had anticipated, but I think that the Cross Terrain's were absorbing some of the road.

Cornering is absolutly fantastic. I took a right turn that I take daily and just decided to take the inside lane today. Not only have I never done that before, but never even thought of it. It's a right turn onto a three lane divided road with a yeild sign.

It has a bit more bounce than SCab FX4 with Rancho shocks and Goodyear RT/S tires.

I've set them to 1 in the rear, and 2 in the front, and expect to leave it there for a while. I anticipate changing the rear only to 4 for towing and a loaded bed. Time and experience will tell.

Thanks for asking, thanks for taking the time to read my comments.

Old 04-12-2003, 12:57 AM
Cool New Shocks

Greencrew, I knew you'd like them! Enjoy. Steve

Old 04-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Settings...

I have the nine position adjustables on my short bed reg cab 2wd f150
I run the fronts at six and the rears at four unloaded.
I tend to drive it a tad hard through the turns though.
Handles great and it's plenty smooth for me.

Old 04-13-2003, 10:47 PM
Talking

I have a 00 expy with a 4 in rancho lift with the 9000 shocks but i must say i never adjust the shocks i was thinking of going to the bilstein insted adjustment is a good idea but not real practacal

Old 04-13-2003, 11:16 PM

cc322, I do understand your point about adjusting your shocks, but you would still need to come up with an initial setting. Are you saying that your shocks are still at the factory setting of 1?

Keep in mind that we are big kids with a new toy and we are working on finding the setting that best fits our driving style. I would think once I find a setting I'll leave it there and maybe even forget about it as time goes on.

Old 04-13-2003, 11:25 PM
adjustment

When loaded I adjust both the front and the rears.
They are really easy to change. With the fronts, do it with the wheels cranked over to one side or the other and reach around the wheel. The rears are right out there in the open.
I'm still messing with a standard -not loaded- setting. I'm liking the firmness, but think it might be just as good a little softer.
At six front and four rear, in the city it's great. On the way out of town in the hills, those settings seem to be letting the rear end get a tad loose on crappy rutty asphalt turns and switchbacks.
I've been looking at getting the remote adjustment panel for inside the cab. That'd be the best for sure. Been looking at air bags for the rear springs too for big loads. With a remote for those and one for the shocks, I'd be in fat city for changing loads. As I use the truck for hauling tools and materials, the load varies quite a bit, and the roads I use vary quite a bit too.

Old 04-13-2003, 11:38 PM
Talking

I have tried various settings and for me its not that great I have heard alot of people say stiffer for towing but I tow a boat and set them at 4 than at 5 and ride was very stiff and bouncy I like the fact that the bilsteins are a gas preassure shock and valved for each vechile I just think the 9000 are more of a gimmick than a performance shock also why dosent rancho market a mono tube style shock? I did have bilsteins on a 96 bronco and they were way to stiff but with my expy it is a diffeerent suspension all together.

Old 04-14-2003, 12:07 AM

You may be right. This is the first time I have run a performance shock, and part of my reasioning is to find out for my self the answers to the points you made.

At this point I have about 150 miles experience with these shocks, and I can say for a fact the handling is better than the stock shock. I'm not sure of much beyond that.

I do think I need to crank the front up to 3 and leave the rear at 1. I also think that metalsmith is looking more for performance and I'm looking more for comfort.

As a plus, even when set at 1 I feel more confident holding the inside lane when turning. It corners more like a car, and less like a truck.

Old 04-14-2003, 12:30 AM
Cool Adjustable Shocks

Wow cc322, I've had RS9000s on my Expy for over 3 years and now have had the 9000xs for about 4 months. I love them both. The ride quality and handling both on and off road has been terrific. I'd try and find someone with an Expy with gas shocks and take it for a ride before I'd get rid of the 9000s. Before my serious suspension mods, I rode around town with the 9000s at 3 on all four corners. Off road, I'd set them at 4. Remember these were 5 position adjustable. Now, I go with position 2 on all 4 corners with the 9000xs, but I have more shocks!! Off road, I set them all to position 5. Also, we are heavier in the rear end than the F-150 bubbas. I hope this helps, let us know what you end up doing. Steve

Old 04-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Question

Its not that I dont like the shocks just not into the adjustment on them almost got the Bilsteins today but had second thoughts. Every shop I call recommend the Bilsteins ????. Maybe i will try to dial mine in a little better

Quick Reply: Rancho Shocks And Ride Quality