Rancho Shocks And Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rancho Shocks And Ride Quality

OK I havean 02, with 5000 miles. I need some help with ride quality. When I'm on the freeway, on certain grooves the back end of the truck bounces like crazy way to often (and at the common speeds from 60-75), and I know its not the tires or the pressure because some of my friends trucks do this too and I have driven other F-150's, and I have also experimented with that. Now if i get new shocks will they help this problem and is there a noticable difference in ride quality? I like the idea of the 9000 but I dont want to have to adjust them. I tow pretty much every weekend so I need something that is logical for driving around and towing. What would you guys reccomend? Is it worth dealing with? Just rears or fronts too? Rancho's? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-06-2003, 11:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just looking at the picture of you truck I can see why your truck bounces like crazy as it goes down the raod. It's the New MB Motoring 16" Chrome Rims. They look so good your truck has to feel like this going down the road.

I did some searches and asked a similar question and did not get many responses. Maybe it's up to you and I to find out. I have the Rancho RS9000 shocks on order and expect them on the truck this week.

I agree that changing the setting on the shock is not an easy pleasure, but at least it can be changed without changing out the shock. In your case, you want the best of both worlds, the ride of a light duty spring and tire, and heavy duty towing.

One good solution I have hear of is the velvet ride shackles. From what I understan the truck rides like it has a load when empty, with no loss in load capacity.

Shocks are a damper. I believe you have to look to the tires to reduce bounce. You removed those Generals. I had that tire/rim combo on my last truck which gave me the best ride I've had to date. I even moved those tires to my 4x4 for a week and I could see that the 4x4 bounce was due mainly to the Goodyear RT/Ss as the ride of the two vehicles followed the tires.

My current plan is to go with the Michelin Cross Terrain tires which exceed the load capacity of the truck, and from feedback of those who run them, are highly rated for ride and traction excluding snow and off road.

I'll also put on the Rancho shocks and set them to my driving comfort. The Screw is different than the Scab because the Screw is always loaded due to the extra cab size.

BTW, Rancho shocks have a 3 for 4 sale in April.

Old 04-06-2003, 05:22 PM
Cool Bouncy Ride

sdf150guy, I concur with greencrew. The RS9000x shocks are terrific and very easy to change the setting on. Simply reach into the shock and locate the dial on the lower portion and increase or decrease the setting as you like. I have 12 shocks on my truck, I know, a little overkill, but it rides great and it takes me less than 2 minutes to change their settings when I go on to off-road, or vice versa. I'd highly recommend these shocks. Remember, if you have a stiff suspension and bouncy tires, the ride will not be good. I set the shocks to the softest/lowest settings when on the road. Hope this helps. Steve

Old 04-06-2003, 07:35 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The RS900x sounds like the perfectshock for you to adjust the firmness fortowing, then softer during the week. The RS9000 is pretty easy to adjust in about 30 seconds for both. If you don't want to get on your knees to reach under there, there is a remote control kit for the RS9000's.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:50 PM
greencrew, thanks for the complements. I love them. Thanks guys for the responce I will look into the 9000's and I did look into the control kit in the past but I herd they were having problems with them. Plus if its as easy as you guys say to adjust them, that isnt a problem. Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2003, 10:43 PM

Schreiberclan, you must have a typo in your message. You said that you have 12 yes 12 shocks on your truck.

Is that three per tire, or four per back and two per front? Are they all Rancho? Is that to reduce roll with a serious lift?

Old 04-06-2003, 10:57 PM
Cool Shocks

Greencrew, No typo, there really are 14, 2 RS5000 steering stab and 3 per each front, a quad rear setup on the rear axle, and the standard 1 rear shock per side. Believe it or not, the truck rides great with no rolling motion in the turns. The truck would be too stiff if I used standard shocks, but the RS9000Xs at positions 1 or 2 ride great in town. Also, At position 4 or 5, it rides great off road. Not too many of these setups around, so I was taking a chance with it, it turned out great! Also, the triple shocks were mostly for looks. My truck is very heavy with the significant mods, so I needed 2 per wheel and thought 3 would be interesting. Steve

Old 04-06-2003, 11:49 PM
Re: Shocks

Originally posted by Schreiberclan
Greencrew, No typo, there really are 14, 2 RS5000 steering stab and 3 per each front, a quad rear setup on the rear axle, and the standard 1 rear shock per side. Believe it or not, the truck rides great with no rolling motion in the turns. The truck would be too stiff if I used standard shocks, but the RS9000Xs at positions 1 or 2 ride great in town. Also, At position 4 or 5, it rides great off road. Not too many of these setups around, so I was taking a chance with it, it turned out great! Also, the triple shocks were mostly for looks. My truck is very heavy with the significant mods, so I needed 2 per wheel and thought 3 would be interesting. Steve
DAMN!!! Check out this pic from his gallery greencrew....

well there are four lol!!!

Old 04-06-2003, 11:55 PM
Hey one more q guys, whats the deal with the 5000's? Are they self adjusting or what? Are they just as good as the 9000's?Thanks!

Old 04-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Cool RS 5000 Shocks

sdf150guy, The 5000s are not adjustable and are a decent shock, but not the quality of the 9000xs. I'd go with the newer, adjustable 9000xs. Steve

Old 04-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Cool Shocks

sdf150guy, Also, the Rancho RSXs are the self-adjusting shocks. I have them on my wife's Cherokee, but they're pretty stiff. Steve

Old 04-07-2003, 12:09 PM
I have a set of four Rancho RSX's and I like them a lot. They are alittle stiff, but not much. they ride better over the stock shocks and just seem to work good overall. I just can't see spending that much money to have the 9000's. Good Luck.

Old 04-07-2003, 12:21 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The adjustability of the RS9000 is great for people that do any kind of towing. Soft for regular driving around town, stiffen it up for the weekend excursions for towing boats, trailers, toys, etc. If you only use your truck as a passenger vehicle and hauling stuff from the home improvement store, the adjustability is probably not worth the extra price. Besides, if you can time it with a buy three deal, the price isn't too bad.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:52 PM

I got word my shocks are here. They are RS9000X RS99233 and RS99234. I believe the second 9 in the number is for the 9 position adjustable. I did not have them put on yet because of all the snow we got today.

I did a search on Yahoo, and read somewhere to set the front higher than the back when there is no load in the back. I plan to start out at position 1 for a while, then crank it down to position 9 just to see the difference. I expect to end up with 2 in the back, and 4 in the front.

Old 04-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Cool New Shocks

Greencrew, Sounds like a great plan. Keep me posted on how it goes!!

Quick Reply: Rancho Shocks And Ride Quality